Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2019, 09:59   #1

Wifi installed on docked boat-so much mess!

I hope this is the right place to ask...we just had wifi installed on our boat at the marina as I work from home and spend many days there and was tired of using a hotspot or purchasing one for the day.

The wireless works great but now we have a modem and router in our modest cabin and 20 foot coaxial cord running out the bathroom window to the dock box. It's just so unsightly and such a pain when we do take a cruise to disconnect the cord from either end.

Is there any easier way to do this? Can we store the modem/router in the dock box (waterproof case?) or is there wireless way that we don't know about?

thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Micia4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 16:21   #2

Re: Wifi installed on docked boat-so much mess!

If you have a dock box with power then put your modem and router in the dock box. YOu should more than enough signal to access the wifi from the boat.
Old 09-01-2019, 19:40   #3

I’m curious why you didn’t want to use a hotspot. We live aboard and use a hotspot for internet. It’s on all the time and acts as or home network. Our phones, computers, google chromecast (tv), and google home all connect to it with no problems.
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 22:06   #4

As long as you can get the wiring to it, put it in the dock box. That is typically close enough for the wifi to work.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:11   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have modem and wifi dependent on cellular towers. is not messy nor is it unreliable and i am portable. modem is in my boat dinette takes up very little space.
LOVE it. works well. my system is envy of those using marina wifi as i am able to always use it.
our marina prohibits the hard wire style wifi set ups and installs, so i was hard pressed to find something until at and t advertised this system. is good. i receive unlimited signal and unlimited connections for very low price monthly after purchase of my modem for under 100 usd. it might be something to consider if you decide to go voyaging.
if the dock box is yours to use while in marina, try a repeater in the boat with the modem in locked dock box.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 13:40   #6

Hi, I have used my personal hotspot which works well but after so much usage it slows down and I have some big files to download/upload. Same with spectrum hotspots, just logs me off constantly and speeds too slow! And I could NOT get the chromecast to work with a hotspot for the life of me!
Micia4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 14:01   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micia4 View Post
Hi, I have used my personal hotspot which works well but after so much usage it slows down and I have some big files to download/upload. Same with spectrum hotspots, just logs me off constantly and speeds too slow! And I could NOT get the chromecast to work with a hotspot for the life of me!
the beauty of my at and t modem is that it doesnot slow and if i need to i can reset them modem. is excellent and i have seen nothing like it. it is made of a huwaii (sp) modem with cell tower usage and unlimited data. i can hardwire into it and share with my neighbor without issues. neighbor also uses unlimited service we enjoy this site and other issues and stream videos and music all 31 days of month. is magic.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, dock, wifi