Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2017, 09:48   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
WIFI hotspot onboard location

I'm setting up a wifi router on board and am thinking of the best location. I would like to install it in the nav center, which means it will be within inches of the VHF radio. I'm thinking this shouldn't be a problem. Can anyone confirm that?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:57   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: WIFI hotspot onboard location

It should not be a problem. The frequencies are vastly different between wifi and VHF. Plus wifi is very low power. I predict there will be no problem.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:08   #3

If that will also be the site for your wifi antennae I would power on and "dry fit" the device and run a quick test from distance with the excellent Speedtest app by Ookla - this way you know what dock or shore performance will be. Speedtest is $5 or something.

Testing with VHF powered off and then on for TX and Receive will let you test for variations on your boat with your electromag characteristics. I would test in two rounds: with everything you can think of turned off -- then everything turned on to include every possible interference source - the autopilot, navis, the engine (alternator).

A second person down the dock can run the Speedtests.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:25   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

No problem. VHF is different frequency.

WARNING: I have read at least once that a new (AC) router can affect gps reception. I looked at the frequencies and they seem different.

Maybe someone more techy can step in and tell us if wifi and gps can in fact interfere.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 13:50   #5

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
No problem. VHF is different frequency.

WARNING: I have read at least once that a new (AC) router can affect gps reception. I looked at the frequencies and they seem different.

Maybe someone more techy can step in and tell us if wifi and gps can in fact interfere.

b.

..not necessarily more techy, but definitely more dorky:

WiFi typically operates at 2.4GHz (802.11b,g,n), and 5GHz (802.11ac). Note that the 2.4band operates between 2.4-2.5GHz, whereas the 5band actually operates in the 5.725-5.875GHz range.

GPS signals are as follows:

L1 1.57543GHz (10.23 x 154)

L2 1.2276GHz (10.23 x 120)

L3 1.38105GHz (10.23 x 135)

L4 1.379913GHz (10.23 x 121)

L5 1.17645GHz (10.23 x 115)

Note that the GPS signals are very specific and are based around the multipliers of 1.023million chips/s for C/A (civilian) band and 10.23milliom chips/s for P (military) band. L1 is mixed C/A and P, whereas L2 is solely P.

Also note that there is no common multiple between the WiFi and GPS signal frequencies by design.

The only thing you should need to consider putting in place would be standard filters/chokes on the power inputs to the WiFi AP to limit interference through the electrical supply.

Sent from mTalk
Old 07-10-2017, 14:25   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Frequencies not likely a problem, but what about RF from router/power supply? Good thing to test.

Ive got an hub and a booster within a few meters of SSB, VHF, etc, no problems, but both run off direct DC power.

(My inverter makes a little RF hum, but my BlueSky 3000i makes a LOUD high pitch right on the SSB frequency I use the most...plan to install a switch at the nav station to shut it off when using SSB.)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 14:30   #7

My advice would be to wall mount it so the antennas are at cabin window/companionway height to give a solid signal in the cockpit and on deck. If you are using a ubiquiti bullet or similar up the mast for your internet connection below, consider turning off the 2.4 radio inside and use 5 there assuming all your hardware supports 5. Much less busy bands so typically faster. Good luck.
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 14:41   #8

Boat: Luffe 45

My experience is that I normally not really use the VHF and the WiFi at the same time..... and if - then it’s the handheld VHF....
lifgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 14:41   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
If that will also be the site for your wifi antennae I would power on and "dry fit" the device and run a quick test from distance with the excellent Speedtest app by Ookla - this way you know what dock or shore performance will be. Speedtest is $5 or something.

Testing with VHF powered off and then on for TX and Receive will let you test for variations on your boat with your electromag characteristics. I would test in two rounds: with everything you can think of turned off -- then everything turned on to include every possible interference source - the autopilot, navis, the engine (alternator).

A second person down the dock can run the Speedtests.
+1. A sea trial would also be in order.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 15:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Frequencies not likely a problem, but what about RF from router/power supply? Good thing to test.

Ive got an hub and a booster within a few meters of SSB, VHF, etc, no problems, but both run off direct DC power.

(My inverter makes a little RF hum, but my BlueSky 3000i makes a LOUD high pitch right on the SSB frequency I use the most...plan to install a switch at the nav station to shut it off when using SSB.)
If the OP uses a 12V (or 24V) PoE injector then the AP can be run directly from DC, getting around issue of possible attempting to run the AP via the AC adapter it came with.. It'll avoid the typically noisy AC/DC cheap transformer issue! Still a RF choke on the input wouldn't hurt..

Sent from mTalk
Old 07-10-2017, 15:44   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
If the OP uses a 12V (or 24V) PoE injector then the AP can be run directly from DC, getting around issue of possible attempting to run the AP via the AC adapter it came with.. It'll avoid the typically noisy AC/DC cheap transformer issue! Still a RF choke on the input wouldn't hurt..

Sent from mTalk
...and the cheap transformers are extremely inefficient. Thats why I look for small electronics with direct 12V or 5V (USB) input.

(meant router not hub in my post)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 16:31   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

I run our routers at 12V.

They vary fom 20V to 12V nominal and only the 20V refuses. The 15V models do just fine.

Some routers run on 5V but then you need to step down which is an inconvenience, if the lesser one.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 16:52   #13

Quote:

Sent from mTalk
Looking at the gauge of 12v wire to my tiller pilot, I doubt you could pull even close to that thru a wire in a Cat 5e cable. PoE is great for a mast top router like a bullet but I don't see it working for an autopilot.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:35   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberg30Shill View Post
Looking at the gauge of 12v wire to my tiller pilot, I doubt you could pull even close to that thru a wire in a Cat 5e cable. PoE is great for a mast top router like a bullet but I don't see it working for an autopilot.
When were we ever discussing autopilots?

On a WiFi thread, AP means "Access Point". I guess I should have been clearer not to (accidentally) blend acronyms.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:56   #15

Quote:
When were we ever discussing autopilots?

On a WiFi thread, AP means "Access Point". I guess I should have been clearer not to (accidentally) blend acronyms.
Ahh, sorry. Had just been reading about auto pilots. I know what an access point is :-) sorry for the blunder :-)

Tags
wifi