Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2011, 06:53   #1

Boat: Perry 47 - Second Star
WiFi Camera for Vessel Security

Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever heard of or used a wifi camera for security? We seem to have an uninvited visitor that has been taking liberties with our unoccupied boat.

I am trying to set up a camera system that will upload to our local computer via the internet and a wifi router.

I'm not optimistic here, but hopeful. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. The last time they broke in they turned off all of the power to the boat and the bilge pumps with it. Last night they broke the lock to the main hatch.

Thanks,

Julie
MadSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 08:07   #2

Boat: PETERSON 44
Y es I used an ip camera for a theft problem. I think I got it from CCTV.com. Very small the softwRe was not great but okay it will email or text an image if it sees motion. Very effective. I wound up using blue iris software which is much better then the stock package. It requires some understanding of internetstuf
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 08:20   #3

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: WiFi Camera for vessel security

I used Axis cameras for a private club. Great hardware and excellent support.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 10:07   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: WiFi Camera for Vessel Security

I think its a good idea. In a marina where there's plenty of power. Maybe more difficult without electricity.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 12:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I think its a good idea. In a marina where there's plenty of power. Maybe more difficult without electricity.
Unfortunately the boat is living the high life in the marina while we work in Chicago. Someone seems to feel that they can enjoy her while we are away. I'd really like to know who that is. We have two confirmed break ins now.
Old 23-07-2011, 07:58   #6

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Power draw is incidental. Internet access is a big deal.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 08:05   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

An easier and cheaper solution might be to put a sign up that says, "Smile, your on internet camera and being recorded remotely" Buy a fake security camera and run it up the mast.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 08:22   #8

You can also use a small motion detector Digital Video Recorder (DVR). You won't have a picture sent to you via email but, it will enable you to see who came on board and it does not need an internet connection. You will have to visit the boat pull the SD card and view it on your laptop or use the DVR output and view on a monitor.
Old 23-07-2011, 09:30   #9
Marine Service Provider

Try the X-10 cameras sold on the internet - cheap and fairly decent. Not marine grade, but you get what you pay for.

Another avenue, much higher cost, is to look at GOSTglobal.com - they sell a variety of anti-theft/theft deterrent devices and cameras. Definitely made for the marine environment.

Don

donweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 17:18   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Marina security?

Does the marina have security cameras that record anywhere near your boat?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 18:02   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I have a Trendnet Camera for my boat... Uses the neighbor's wifi (con permiso).. Been thinking of a second one at the first spreader with pan and tilt
Old 23-07-2011, 18:47   #12

Or there is something called a "Game camera" at your local sporting goods store.
Usually meant to mount up (like in a tree, or in this case the mast) and snap pictures of whatever walks down a game trail, or to the watering hole or....
These are motion sensor activated, and some are infrared and do not flash or scare the game...or the douch-bag getting into your boat.

With caught "red handed" pictures, I am sure it would not take much effort to discover the bandits identity, and then...well, some things we don't discuss on the open interwebs.

I hate thieves even more than crooked politicians...of course I am repeating myself.

Good luck with whatever method you choose to end this charade.
Tony
Mountainview42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 05:59   #13

The city offers free wifi and I know of a hot spot near the boat that doesn't log you out. I figured that we would need to have the wifi camera and one that just records as a back up. I want to move the boat closer to the live aboards, my husband wants to leave it where it is and catch the person doing this. I am flying down next weekend to install everything and repair the damage that has been done. I will also be installing a long distance wifi receiver (not to open up that can of worms, I saw the 50 pages on that!) to help with catching a hotel hot spot.

The marina has cameras, but unless I can tell them exactly which day we had the break in they won't go through the footage. There is also an electronically keyed gate that monitors key logs. Unfortunately the information is stored by user and not by gate. They can't look at the dock gate info and see who has been in and out, just a specific key to see when you used it. The system is to monitor YOU not your boat.
Old 24-07-2011, 06:14   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I am trying to find a news story from a few years ago where a home computer with camera and software emailed the house owner at work when thieves entered.

I think it detected the movement. Also stored pictures of the theives who actually stole the computer that was filming them... so it muct have stored the pics online.

It was a great story how a bit of tech can help catch a crook.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 06:40   #15

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Ok, a reality check here. Exactly what are you planning to do with the "photos" of the thief? If you have ever had your home burgled you will have learned that the police do not care and will not do anything except fill out a report for you to submit to your insurance company.
- - The police are not going to go looking for the thief and even if they did most probably your stuff is long gone having been sold to get money to buy drugs. You will find that the majority of the thefts - boat and home - are young people hooked on drugs.
- - I would suggest spending the money on some good steel bars and cages such that any thief cannot get access into the boat. It may be "unsightly" but since you are not there, so what. The little "hasp" and padlock do little or nothing to slow down thieves. You need some serious through-bolted bars over companionway hatches or catamaran sliding doors and/or cages for deck hatches that cannot be locked from the inside.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, security