Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2016, 19:37   #76
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: WiFi Antenna Comparison

Onemore-
A traditional router always used to be a box that physically plugged into "the internet" (a WAN, or wide area network) on one side, and your own LAN (local area network) on the other side. Exactly what those wires plugged into, varied.
Then someone invented DSL and cable broadband. So there were two more specific kinds of routers, the DSL router, which plugs into your phone line instead of a conventional WAN port, and that can only plug into a DSL line on the WAN side.
And the "cablemodem", which can only plug into a cable provider's network on the WAN side.
Either one of these may be a "modem" which connects only one computer to the WAN, or a full-blown router that connects multiple computers (a true LAN) to the WAN. On most of the home routers, you can connect 4 home computers on physical LAN sockets, versus only one on the cheapest units.
That's ignoring the issue of whether a router supports WiFi, which usually can handle 16 more connections or better.

So, now there is an alternative to DSL or cable broadband, and that's cellular broadband. Cellular companies have been, well, squirrelly about data connections. They invent, rent, sell, all sorts of options and adapters and then turn around and say "that's impossible, we'll never do it" usually the year before they make something standard. (sigh)
Somewhere along the way, some genius decided to make routers that use a SIM card and connect to the cellular companies' broadband directly, instead of a conventional WAN. In theory...your cell phone acting as a mobile hot spot (which no one allowed just a few years ago, duh) or a dedicated mobile hot spot box, could so the same job. In practice, a SIM card router is more powerful, should support faster connections, and should also generally be faster and more secure because it has a better dedicated processor supervising the connections AND enabling security options that your hot-spot-phone wouldn't have.

Really very logical. No magic, but then again, it seems like everyone forgot to advertise that these things exist. (Duh.)

Note that you often cannot use the same SIM card in a "computer" or "tablet" that you use in a "phone". Some companies may let you stick the card in anything and use the same amounts of data, etc. Other companies automatically check the device ID (the IMEI number) and their networks will automatically change your billing, or disable the device, if it has been swapped out. You have to ask the cellular company, and take what they say on faith.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 01:17   #77

Boat: Beneteau OC 41

Currently on a charter in the BVI using Huawei wireless gateway and it's working great. The model, supplied by TMM based in Roadtown, is a B683, (http://www.amazon.com/Original-Unloc...eless+gateways). It has a Digicell SIM card.
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 03:48   #78

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Onemore-
A traditional router always used to be a box that physically plugged into "the internet" (a WAN, or wide area network) on one side, and your own LAN (local area network) on the other side. Exactly what those wires plugged into, varied.
Then someone invented DSL and cable broadband. So there were two more specific kinds of routers, the DSL router, which plugs into your phone line instead of a conventional WAN port, and that can only plug into a DSL line on the WAN side.
And the "cablemodem", which can only plug into a cable provider's network on the WAN side.
Either one of these may be a "modem" which connects only one computer to the WAN, or a full-blown router that connects multiple computers (a true LAN) to the WAN. On most of the home routers, you can connect 4 home computers on physical LAN sockets, versus only one on the cheapest units.
That's ignoring the issue of whether a router supports WiFi, which usually can handle 16 more connections or better.

So, now there is an alternative to DSL or cable broadband, and that's cellular broadband. Cellular companies have been, well, squirrelly about data connections. They invent, rent, sell, all sorts of options and adapters and then turn around and say "that's impossible, we'll never do it" usually the year before they make something standard. (sigh)
Somewhere along the way, some genius decided to make routers that use a SIM card and connect to the cellular companies' broadband directly, instead of a conventional WAN. In theory...your cell phone acting as a mobile hot spot (which no one allowed just a few years ago, duh) or a dedicated mobile hot spot box, could so the same job. In practice, a SIM card router is more powerful, should support faster connections, and should also generally be faster and more secure because it has a better dedicated processor supervising the connections AND enabling security options that your hot-spot-phone wouldn't have.

Really very logical. No magic, but then again, it seems like everyone forgot to advertise that these things exist. (Duh.)

Note that you often cannot use the same SIM card in a "computer" or "tablet" that you use in a "phone". Some companies may let you stick the card in anything and use the same amounts of data, etc. Other companies automatically check the device ID (the IMEI number) and their networks will automatically change your billing, or disable the device, if it has been swapped out. You have to ask the cellular company, and take what they say on faith.
All good info here, the router we have I believe was from Bell Canada and I think they were used to obtain cellular data in more rural areas for Internet. The DigitalAntenna is 4-9 dbi and mounted on the stern rail and greatly improves reception! Amazon cells a SIM card adaptor kit and when on the boat I put the mini SIM card from my IPhone 6 in an adaptor and install in the router and it works well. Lately I have been using Cricket in Puerto Rico and the USVI as they are on AT&T network which is good there!
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 00:26   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgrant1 View Post
Currently on a charter in the BVI using Huawei wireless gateway and it's working great. The model, supplied by TMM based in Roadtown, is a B683, (http://www.amazon.com/Original-Unloc...eless+gateways). It has a Digicell SIM card.
good to hear, I was thinking of the Huawei e5786 with external antenna... or the wirie pro, as I need more than the US limited coverage of the wilson and some other adaptors to get more of the frequencies used elsewhere in the world ...
obelix67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 07:16   #80

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

We are currently cruising in Mexico. There are still a lot of WEP AP's down here. They can be a PITA to connect to. In my past life I was an IT guy and did wireless installations professionally. I came down here with Ubiquiti gear, but found it lacking. You have to back-rev the firmware to get it to work with WEP. I found everywhere sucked for performance. I ended up going with RouterOS gear (Groove) and performance went WAY up. I'm debating picking up that antenna mentioned earlier though... not sure of the specs of the one it came with.

I will say routeros is very powerful but not very user friendly, if you aren't comfortable working with a linux firewall it may not be the right choice for you.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 13:12   #81
CLOD

Boat: none

I can not believe the price difference between various companies.
Old 28-07-2016, 18:55   #82

Boat: Blue Buoy Del Rey 50

I have wave wifi, badboy extreme, ubiquity (bullet2hp,pico-m2hp,routerstation-1.5w 2/5ghz cards), groove, alfa usb.

I find the picostation-m2hp gets the strongest signal, seems a little unstable at times. Using stock firmware. - Currently using

The wave wifi is my favorite easy to use interface though I seem to see more connections with my laptop for some reason. - In box for storage

The Badboy holds a nice signal but it constantly seemed to reset it self for some reason back to stock so just recently flashed it back to ubiquity software out of frustration which is older and mostly sucks. Havent had time to figure out how to flash the badboy firmware back yet. - Will most likely get rid of it.

The routerstation I have been switching between openwrt/debian it the most stable but unfortunately I have to figure out why the transfer speed seems so slow in the network. - Have to figure out the issue. also use it as nmea repeater and for some security stuff.

The groove I got a while back software wise I think its very stable and i have had lots of fun playing with it. The 5ghz is great in places that have it since it is usually the least used. However in comparison to the above in the 2ghz range I find it lacking alot. - using it for 5ghz stuff

The alfa(s)......... I give them away and other people give them to me thats all I have to say.
deepthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 04:42   #83

Boat: Blue Buoy Del Rey 50

I would like to point out that the mostly all the wifi antennas work almost the same but there are so many variables such as the AP, the Lagoon 600 that anchors in between you and the AP the navy or coast guard ship at dock that seems to be jamming everything, or the boat on the other side of the anchorage with 5w booster thats pouring out noise. Or the 200 boats trying to use the only available AP.

In a perfect world where tests can be conducted in a pure line of sight with out obstructions and interference there my be some differences.
deepthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 05:37   #84

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

I fully echo Skip's post about Bob and Island Time. Like many I have messed with computers for decades, but I am no network guy. Too old to learn, also.

The Island Time Groove package worked OOTB and still does. Also, the weather-proof antenna setup mounted atop the Quest backstay radar mount makes me look cool (even though I am decidedly not). With Bob's router my little boat is a "hot spot" much appreciated by nearby friends.

This system just "works."
Old 30-07-2016, 06:05   #85

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrydeare View Post
I fully echo Skip's post about Bob and Island Time. Like many I have messed with computers for decades, but I am no network guy. Too old to learn, also.

The Island Time Groove package worked OOTB and still does. Also, the weather-proof antenna setup mounted atop the Quest backstay radar mount makes me look cool (even though I am decidedly not). With Bob's router my little boat is a "hot spot" much appreciated by nearby friends.

This system just "works."
As to hotspots, we had a regular covey of boats following us around in George Town several years ago, before the cell phenomenon. We looked like the pied piper as we changed anchorages

FWIW, the picture of Flying Pig's rig that's in the Island Time web was taken in George Town...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, wifi