Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2012, 12:41   #31

Re: WIFI amplification, Feb 2012: How Far , How Fast , How Much ?

I telecommute from the boat. At first I tried marina WiFi and it was unusable. I thought it was because the marina network was unreliable. I had full bars on my WiFi signal after ll!

I spent over a year wrestling with 4G cellular connectivity (first Sprint, then Verizon). Expensive, slow, unreliable (especially Verizon). The day I got a Bullet2 HD was a very good day in my life. Turns out the Marina WiFi is great, the problem was my signal. Just because I am receiving with full bars, does not mean my transmit is strong enough to work.

Now I have fast, cheap, reliable WiFi. When I bought mine, you pay about a $100 premium to buy from Island Time vs. direct. For that $100 you get it pre-configured and tested, easy setup, documentation, and support. If it is worth $100 depends on your preferences and how you plan to use it. Either way, I cannot recommend this product enough.

I have not tried the cheaper options, and they might work for you. However my extensive research and personal experience suggest that a Bullet based system remains the gold standard.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 12:44   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 440, for sale from March 2016 in New Caledonia

Thanks all for your input. I am now in touch with Bob, and can confirm from his quick and detailed answer that he is definitely someone whose expertise I'm ready to trust. No news for TheWirie yet.

Bob has an interesting point: "While the crucial functions in the Bullet are normally left in "Automatic" mode some can be very useful to a cruiser in tweaking his connection to get the most out of a connection. The most common tweak involves adjusting your output power up or down to improve a connection. If you are very close to an access point such as frequently happens in a marina, lowering power output can greatly improve throughput. This type of function is not usually available in a USB based system"
Can The WirieAP output power be easily adjusted as well? And are the Bullet's possible tweaks really that easy?

Has anyone here with TheWirieAP been able to compare its performance, in particular its range, with a Bullet-based system ? (ideally with a 8 dB antenna, like The Wirie, for a level playing field) From what I've read so far, I assume that the range of the Bullet, with the same (8 dB) antenna as the Wirie would be greater. Is this true or "just marketing" as The Wirie website puts it?
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 13:01   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
And are the Bullet's possible tweaks really that easy?
Doing those types of tweaks just involve pointing your web browser at the Bullet configuration and changing them in the GUI. About the same as changing the settings on your router.

Quote:
Has anyone here with TheWirieAP been able to compare its performance, in particular its range, with a Bullet-based system ?
Practical Sailor found essentially no difference in range doing basic range tests.
Old 27-01-2012, 13:06   #34

Boat: 38' 1983 Pearson 385 - "Zydeco"

Quote:
Yep. They're pretty easy and if you buy the setup from Bob at Islandtimepc you will get easy to follow, step by step instructions. I'm just a dumb lawyer and even I could do it.
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 14:03   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC

that adjustability Bob describes is very important. I've had situations where I could not get online until I dialed down the output of the system. Other times I've pulled in signal from over 1 mile away by dialing up the settings.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 14:41   #36

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
IMHO 4g wireless networks will proliferate rapidly, and not only in the U.S. The devices have already arrived.
All I can say is that you have not been out cruising. In a lot of the places cruisers dream about, one would consider themselves VERY fortunate indeed if they got a 2G connection. It is not unusual for us in the San Blas and Panama to connect at a blazing 200-1,000 bytes/sec. Notice there isn't a "k" in front of the "byte".

Even in the cities here, cell data is still served over a 2G network - EDGE at best. Where wifi is available, it is at true broadband speeds.

That is the state of it here today, and I do not expect upgrading to be very rapid in these places.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 14:45   #37

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
On the bullet, it is a simple slider bar on the user interface from 0 to full output.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 14:58   #38

Boat: Pearson 303

There is a great system by Broadband Q Wireless, Its a multi port router works off the Sprint network great in the US and up to 5 miles off shore, $249.99 for the equipment $89.00 per month awesome, stream video, day trade good speed 1-1.5 mg with and unlimited data cap plan.

Good Luck
2ndwynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 16:31   #39
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog

Doing those types of tweaks just involve pointing your web browser at the Bullet configuration and changing them in the GUI. About the same as changing the settings on your router.

Practical Sailor found essentially no difference in range doing basic range tests.
With the same antenna and the same output power settings, range performance should be equal as all these radios use the same or similar chips internally.

With USB the problem is the drivers needed. But the WireiAP should not have that problem either. I think it's just an Alpha router that is put in a mini Pelican case, right?

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 16:33   #40
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj

All I can say is that you have not been out cruising. In a lot of the places cruisers dream about, one would consider themselves VERY fortunate indeed if they got a 2G connection.
Ah, Mark still not on Movil 3G network?

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 16:51   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I think it's just an Alpha router that is put in a mini Pelican case, right?
The Wirie is. I assume the AP is the same but with a access point added to the same case. For sure the Pelican case is confidence inspiring from a durability standpoint.
Old 27-01-2012, 16:55   #42

as anyone here with TheWirieAP been able to compare its performance, in particular its range, with a Bullet-based system ? (ideally with a 8 dB antenna, like The Wirie, for a level playing field) From what I've read so far, I assume that Since I never got the Ubiqiti to work, I can only say the Wirie woks well every where. The only problem is the growing sophistication of the
caribbean wifi spots.

Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 08:37   #43

In response to the wifi or internet service provided by BroadbandQ Wireless it works off the Sprint network. Its a multiport router, novatel 720s card and a high gain antenna, the equp bundle is $249.00 AND $89.00 per month good up to 5 miles off shore, unlimited data ans speed 1-1.5 megs requires 12 month agreement and they offer a free money back trial.

regards

Joe
Old 30-01-2012, 08:45   #44

I think what some of you are talking about are boosters to highjack signal from unprotected networks, This is a temporary solution to access internet signal, It works well in the Caribbean but domestically the EVDO system is the legit way to go.

regards

Joe
Old 30-01-2012, 08:47   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have found the Ubiquity Bullet to be powerful but quite kludgy to use unless you are permanently connected to the same access point.

You have to manually change your own IP settings in order to get to the Bullet interface in order to even see what other AP's are around.

Is there a shell for it which simplifies getting into the Bullet interface?

By the way, +1 on the mobile telephone router as the primary connection. I use a GlobesurferIII cellular router which works fantastically well and costs peanuts. Distributes the connection over WiFi.

But sometimes you need WiFi -- for example, in France, I can't get a SIM card which is usable in the Globesurfer. For another example, Fair Use restrictions limit any big file transfers or Skype usage -- WiFi is needed for this. It would be great if the Bullet were easier to use.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote