Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2022, 12:37   #1

Boat: Hunter 36
Why is it so hard to find a decent TV??

On my third TV now. I need one not just for entertainment - I use it for weather reports, watching how-to videos that I've saved to watch later, etc.

Short version of my history:

I can't find a decent TV for the boat anywhere. Household TVs only run off household voltage, which I can reluctantly work with, but have issues connecting to my audio system. However, TVs made for boats/RVs are not only more expensive, but picture is terrible. Plus, pretty much none of the 12v TVs are smart TVs that will play video files off a thumb drive. Most of them do have included DVD players, which is totally useless. Let's face it, in 2022 DVDs are as obsolete as video tapes.

Long version of my history:

First TV for the boat. Bought a standard Vizio 32" 1080p. It actually worked pretty well, although it was a bit large for the boat. But stores don't carry many 1080p tvs under 32 inches.
  • Pros: played MP4 videos. Had an audio out to play through boat speakers. Picture was great.
  • Cons: A little too big, used 110 voltage only.

Second TV for the boat. Got this Supersonic 22 inch that's designed for boats and RVs.
  • Pros: more energy efficient, and easy to hook up to boat speakers. Worked off 110 or 12v.
  • Cons: it just had an inferior picture like older generation TV. The color black just looked weird, and you have to look at the screen directly. From an angle, the screen looked terrible. No ability to play video files, so I needed a separate player, which means more wires around, which I hate.

Third TV for the boat. Was tired of the inferior screen, so got a Samsung 32".
  • Pros: plays MP4 videos. Picture was great.
  • Cons: A little too big, used 110 voltage only. But I expected that. What I didn't expect - no no headphone jack or audio out!! Grrrr Only a digital audio out, which means I would need a powered converter to run it through the boat speakers, which means - more wires!!

Geez Louise, how hard is it to find a TV that will do these things?

1. Good picture, and at least 1080p
2. No DVD player
3. Will play music, photos, videos off a thumb drive
4. Will run off 12v
5. Has a normal headphone jack or audio out
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 13:12   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Why is it so hard to find a decent TV??

Close: https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...706&id=7837498
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 13:15   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Just use an inverter, it isn't that bad.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 13:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Not bad, but $484?? I could buy like three off the shelf TVs for that much.
Old 21-06-2022, 13:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Just use an inverter, it isn't that bad.
Instead of an inverter, I use a couple of camping batteries. I just let one run the TV and laptop while other charges from solar. So that's not a big problem - but would prefer the option of using 12v at times.
Old 21-06-2022, 13:29   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

I have a RCA 40" flat screen that has been working fine now for 69 months of full time on the boat. I power it with 300W small inverter off the "TV" breaker on my main panel. The combo of the TV plus a sound bar uses less power than just turning my main inverter. I have it installed via an RV wall mount that is thru bolted to a cabinet. I used to put something under it so it don't bounce, but forget once on a bouncy trip and now haven't done that in 5 years.
Old 21-06-2022, 13:41   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

More than 10 years ago, I knew the future was more 120v needs. So I bought a good inverter system and a decent size battery bank. I use a 32" smart tv and a 32' monitor. Both are also used for charting. I can go 2 days+ without a charge. Including running a 2 door reefer and freezers.
If you want house like equipment, then you need to plan for it. Whining about bad choices doesn't get it done.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 13:46   #8

Boat: Morgan 382

Regarding Audio
I use Bluetooth to connect to the stereo system on my boat.

I also use Serviio on my laptop to stream movies to the TV, and chromecast to cast my laptop desktop to it occasionally. Oddly and frustratingly, Chromecast only works with an active Internet connection, even if casting the desktop.

I have an ultra cheap "skyworth" 32" Android TV. I'm happy with it. It's 110v, but that's the only wire that plugs into it.

IMHO, 1080p overkill on a small set.
Old 21-06-2022, 13:55   #9

Boat: Southerly 480

Pretty much every TV runs off of DC. The required voltage varies though. The power bricks convert the AC to DC. The required DC voltage will vary. Just look at the brick and you can see the required voltage and amperage needed.

The voltage seems to vary between TV's. I have one that requires 19V, and one that requires 20V. I just run them off of AC and let the bricks do their job.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 14:01   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Ha, I understand the OP. Yes I have a Samsung 32 inch too, but running the inverter for the TV always seems out of the question. I’d rather use my batteries for something else.

I guess if the OP and me had the money. We would have solar, big battery banks, and maybe lithium ha. Probably more stuff too

Good luck OP!

Edit - “TheOffice” made a post with a link to defender marine with a TV set. That’s probably what you want OP. The only concern I would have is how bright the screen is and I didn’t see anything about brightness although I might have missed it!
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 15:09   #11
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
Ha, I understand the OP. Yes I have a Samsung 32 inch too, but running the inverter for the TV always seems out of the question. I’d rather use my batteries for something else.
The time about that is: a small 300W pure sine inverter running a TV is very efficient DC-AC and is so close to just the DC power as to be meaningless. Before I started using the small inverter and instead used my main inverter I would use 20+ AH more than I do now. The things are like $30.

But really it is like all power equipment choices, if you want the equipment you will find the power
Old 21-06-2022, 15:25   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The time about that is: a small 300W pure sine inverter running a TV is very efficient DC-AC and is so close to just the DC power as to be meaningless. Before I started using the small inverter and instead used my main inverter I would use 20+ AH more than I do now. The things are like $30.

But really it is like all power equipment choices, if you want the equipment you will find the power
Thank you for the explanation on small and main inverters!

Maybe I should get a small inverter, but I’m saving for a pressure canner
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 16:47   #13
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
Thank you for the explanation on small and main inverters!

Maybe I should get a small inverter, but I’m saving for a pressure canner
I don't know what that is, but hope it works for you.
Old 21-06-2022, 17:14   #14

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Probably 10 years back when TV went digital I trucked over to Best Buy and started down the aisle for small TVs looking at the voltage on the wall warts for one labeled 12VDC. First one I found that suited my size requirements, I put on the boat, threw the wall wart in the trash, hooked the TV to small 12V breaker, working fine ever since. I do have an older DVD player mounted beside the TV set that plugs into one of the aux inputs.

Not a smart TV, but in 17 years have probably not spent 20 nights in a marina. I hope there is a special spot in Hell for people that load up the cell phone channels streaming TV.

500 MHz, Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 18:04   #15

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I gave up on 12 volt TV's ages back and just put in a very small, pure sine wave inverter dedicated to the task. (Though it now also charges my electric toothbrush when the TV is on).

I still switch the TV off at the main panel to avoid parasitic power loss. Four years now, no regrets.