Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2022, 08:23   #46

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: Why is it so hard to find a decent TV??

We run ours off of the inverter also.
Old 27-06-2022, 08:36   #47

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
On my third TV now. I need one not just for entertainment - I use it for weather reports, watching how-to videos that I've saved to watch later, etc.

Short version of my history:

I can't find a decent TV for the boat anywhere. Household TVs only run off household voltage, which I can reluctantly work with, but have issues connecting to my audio system. However, TVs made for boats/RVs are not only more expensive, but picture is terrible. Plus, pretty much none of the 12v TVs are smart TVs that will play video files off a thumb drive. Most of them do have included DVD players, which is totally useless. Let's face it, in 2022 DVDs are as obsolete as video tapes.

Long version of my history:

First TV for the boat. Bought a standard Vizio 32" 1080p. It actually worked pretty well, although it was a bit large for the boat. But stores don't carry many 1080p tvs under 32 inches.
  • Pros: played MP4 videos. Had an audio out to play through boat speakers. Picture was great.
  • Cons: A little too big, used 110 voltage only.

Second TV for the boat. Got this Supersonic 22 inch that's designed for boats and RVs.
  • Pros: more energy efficient, and easy to hook up to boat speakers. Worked off 110 or 12v.
  • Cons: it just had an inferior picture like older generation TV. The color black just looked weird, and you have to look at the screen directly. From an angle, the screen looked terrible. No ability to play video files, so I needed a separate player, which means more wires around, which I hate.

Third TV for the boat. Was tired of the inferior screen, so got a Samsung 32".
  • Pros: plays MP4 videos. Picture was great.
  • Cons: A little too big, used 110 voltage only. But I expected that. What I didn't expect - no no headphone jack or audio out!! Grrrr Only a digital audio out, which means I would need a powered converter to run it through the boat speakers, which means - more wires!!

Geez Louise, how hard is it to find a TV that will do these things?

1. Good picture, and at least 1080p
2. No DVD player
3. Will play music, photos, videos off a thumb drive
4. Will run off 12v
5. Has a normal headphone jack or audio out
Gave up on a TV years and years ago. They don’t like a marine environment and need frequent replacement. Nothing to watch anyway. And for weather etc what’s wrong with my cell?
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 08:46   #48

Boat: Irwin 40 MKII

Motorola isn't making TV's anymore
SailingOblio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 09:31   #49

just buy the tv you want and run it off your 12v battery bank…. here’s how for less than $10:

1. look on the back of the tv and see if its 19v, 20v, etc native.

2. if tv is natively 19v (or whatever voltage), buy a 12v to 19v converter (if your house bank is 12v).make sure the converter is rated amps/watts to run the tv

3. cut brick off AC cord on tv and wire the dc converter, wire to a fuse to dc panel, presto… you have a 12v tv for fraction of the cost.

i did this with my 24” LG, 1080p with smart apps and browser, plays videos off usb… the cats meow and it costed only $120. the dc to dc converter costed 7$, i use a 12v to 19v 77w/6amp converter.

cheers, everyone has dc tv’s now

EDIT: this must only be done with tvs that have the brick on the power cord. cut above the brick, cutting it off, this is where you wore the converter. This is the AC to DC converter… if there is no brick its comverted on the motherboard of the tv
aajora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 10:43   #50

Boat: FP Belize 43
Send a message via Skype™ to gultekin

We ditched RV TV with built in DVD and switched to 23" 4K monitor - 18V DC with a 12V to 18V adapter - and a laptop with Blu-ray & streaming. Sound system is connected to boat's stereo. A friend uses portable projector.
gultekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 15:11   #51

Boat: dreaming of a Mac 65

Buy a slightly used Apple IPad. It does it all that you need. Mine has lasted for 10 years and now my nephew uses it.
rsementi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 18:18   #52

Boat: Corbin 39' Pilot House Cutter

I have a standard smart tv with multiple video audio inputs and outputs. I use a dual power supply for it. I used a 4pdt switch to either energize the 12 vdc cord side or the 120 volt line side. When in port I switch to ac, when at sea I'm on dc. I make sure the switch has a center off position and I count to ten before restarting from another source to give the power supply time to bottom out and the tv to stabilize. I have had zero issues with this. I also run video games and use an fiber optic to rca adapter to my dual stereo system aux input with Bose speakers. I get great sound, great picture and My Sony 12 vdc blue ray works well too. Think outside of the box. Just make sure it all is housed and protected from spray or humidity. Marinized TV's are just not available.
Sailorman4009 is offline   Reply With Quote