Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 19:58   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Why have dedicated AIS display

What are the advantages of having a dedicated AID display such as the "Vesper Vision" over displaying AIS contacts on the chartplotter?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 23:02   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Why have dedicated AIS display

1) The Vesper AIS display and alarm functionality may be better than what you get with your chartplotter.

2) The Vesper probably uses less power than your chartplotter, which can be important on longer passages.

Vesper is not the only stand-alone AIS unit, but it does seem to be one of the best.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 23:15   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I'm glad I went that way! I also have a Vesper (XB-8000). When I recently did a passage down the Pacific coast the new Garmin Plotter crapped out so I had no radar. So at night and in fog I was still able to see other vessels around me. And when out in the deep most vessels are commercial and are required to run the AIS.

Inland waters would be different but off shore AIS is a godsend. As as stated above the power consumption is very low when independent.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:00   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

As well as power consumption redundancy is an important factor. A fault in the chartplotter also wipes out radar. While Radar and AIS are different there is some comfort in having these functions independent.
Currently investigating AIS myself the Vesper has a lot of appeal, but wifi transmission to a tablet is another means of achieving redundancy and low power consumption.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:18   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

I agree with the points that Paul E said. Better alarm discrimination, much lower power and I'll add easier to quickly read the details of a target. I often leave the Vesper on Target List display, and I can quickly see the details of any target that is of interest. On the chartplotter I have to move cursors around, right click, etc. The Vesper display is a nice piece of gear. I actually have 2 onboard through a fluke of purchasing - one below and one over the companionway. The newer unit has a superior LCD display and is easier to read.

I normally have our chartplotter in Sleep mode with the display off and the Vesper display on, for power saving.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:03   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

All very good points. I like my AIS integrated with my chartplotter because I can see where the ships are in relation to the topography. A good example is coming up the Columbia entrance during the night. I knew when i would see different freighters by where they were in the channel. Since the channel does a good impression of a snake, it would not be as easy to tell without the chart overlay.
Btw, a number of larger fishing vessels do not keep AIS on here out in the open ocean. Just saying I have found all sorts of boats out in the dark in a fog on radar.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:42   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

AIS on the chartplotter is better inshore, especially in rivers and buoyed channels. AIS on radar-type displays works fine offshore, but the display on the Standard Horison VHF is too small, and the Vesper has great alarm functions.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:38   #8

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

We have the AIS display on our chartplotter and used it from San Francisco to Florida, without troubles.

I also found that when not using the chartplotter, by dimming the screen till it is blank (Dark) you save an incredible amount of power draw. Just like computers, the lit screen draws most of the power that the unit uses.

We would typically dim the unit and then make checks every 15 minutes. Since the unit is still working any alarms sounding will still be heard.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:51   #9

Boat: Catalina 470

zboss,
I have my AIS (Emtrak Class B transponder) system connected to BOTH a separate / dedicated display (Vesper WatchMate 650), AND to both my Raymarine MFD/chartplotters/radar (E-120 and E-80)....
I can use either one, two or all....at anytime...
So, I can share what I like about the dedicated AIS display, vs. the chartplotters, as well as the "generic" reasons/advantages...

There are many advantages/reasons...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
What are the advantages of having a dedicated AID display such as the "Vesper Vision" over displaying AIS contacts on the chartplotter?
1) Many boats do not have a chartplotter...
2) Many boats do not have a chartplotter capable of displaying AIS targets...
3) Many boats do not have a radar unit....
4) Many boats do not have a radar unit capable of displaying AIS targets...

In addition to the above obvious "advantages", here are some of the more commonly talked about advantages:

5) Very Low-power consumption....
6) Clear, un-cluttered display...
7) Easy-to-see, hi-contrast, full-sunlight viewable display, that is inexpensive...
8) Better overall design / Better "filters" (easy access to multiple filters, and easy to customize filters), here again, Vesper wins hands-down!

9) Simple, intuitive and Easy-to-use controls and functions...Better alarms, etc...
10) Unique (or just "improved") way to display targets...
11) Unique graphical CPA display, that clearly shows the vessels' passing situation (Vesper is the one that does this!)
12) The redundancy of a separate / dedicated display, should other display (chartplotter and/or radar) fail...

In addition to the others' comments on the Vesper display...
Please note that if you have not used Vesper's unique CPA screen, you really haven't seen how easy AIS use can be...
It seems so simple, I suspect that everyone else (Raymarine, Furuno, Garmin, etc.) are thinking "why didn't we think of that?"
This is just one example why Vesper excels at AIS....it's because it is what they do!!!! AIS is there business!!!

Anyone who is using AIS on a chartplotter, owes it to themselves to use the Vesper WatchMate for a while, and you'll be convinced...

zboss, I hope this helps...
Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:00   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

With my ICOM I can send AIS data via NEMA to the Raymarine chart plotter, so I have both displays.

Not possible with the Vesper?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:28   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

What is the issue? Get the Vesper and forward the AIS data to your plotter.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 13:01   #12

Boat: Catalina 470

hpeer,
Not sure if you're asking if it is possible, or if you are experiencing a problem when doing it??
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
With my ICOM I can send AIS data via NEMA to the Raymarine chart plotter, so I have both displays.

Not possible with the Vesper?
So, let me be CLEAR....
You CAN send the AIS data out from the Vesper units (via NMEA) to other NMEA accepting devices...and assuming that your Raymarine chartplotter is capable of displaying AIS targets, it will work....

If you are unclear on how-to do that, I'd advise looking at the Vesper manual (online of in your hand) and looking at the Raymarine manual for your specific chartplotter and confirm you have the wiring correct and have your chartplotter configured to accept the AIS data (remember AIS data is sent at 36800 baud NMEA 0183, NOT at the "normal" 4800 baud rate for NMEA 0183, and you should have your plotter configured to accept that data rate...)

Also, understand that some may use the NMEA 2000 interface from the Vesper units, if their chartplotters are NMEA 2000 compatible...

hpeer, if you are more clear in your postings we can answer your query better...

fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 14:42   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

That's what I do with my ICOM.

Was only wondering if it was possible with a Vesper.

Apparently so.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 19:26   #14

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
All very good points. I like my AIS integrated with my chartplotter because I can see where the ships are in relation to the topography. A good example is coming up the Columbia entrance during the night. I knew when i would see different freighters by where they were in the channel. Since the channel does a good impression of a snake, it would not be as easy to tell without the chart overlay.
Btw, a number of larger fishing vessels do not keep AIS on here out in the open ocean. Just saying I have found all sorts of boats out in the dark in a fog on radar.
Fishing vessels really don't want other people knowing where they fish.

Heres a shot of my Vesper on the iPad (Wifi). You don't really need an overlay on the plotter. The iPad uses the iNavX maps. I'm the blue guy.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1164.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	68199  
Old 04-10-2013, 20:14   #15

[QUOTE="delmarrey;1356562"] Fishing vessels really don't want other people knowing where they fish. Heres a shot of my Vesper on the iPad (Wifi). You don't really need an overlay on the plotter. The iPad uses the iNavX maps. I'm the blue guy. .[/QUOTE
Whilst fishing vessels might not transmit
Their position on AIS they might well receive yours and therefore could warn you of a unsafe CPA
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais