Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2019, 14:28   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade 36
Re: Why buy the expensive MMSI for your AIS and EPIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-TechSystems View Post
I just checked mine - 367632210, which I registered in 2014 via FCC.. I registered it with VHF, AIS, and HF uses. It did NOT come up in the ITU search with my vessel name, MMSI, or call sign..
"What a revoltin' development this is!" --Chester A. Riley

So I guess my theory goes out the window. Who knows when or why the FCC chooses to forward MMSI to the ITU?
Tugwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 14:37   #47

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
...If the OP meant to write "EPIRB" instead of "EPIB", which I think is a safe assumption, then the OP has a misunderstanding about how an EPIRB works.

EPIRB devices do not transmit an MMSI. Each EPIRB transmits its own unique identifier code that is ASSOCIATED WITH THE EPIRB ITSELF and embedded in the device by the manufacturer. EPIRB devices were in use before the invention of the MMSI. All EPIRB devices are not associated with a vessel.
Actually the manufacturer's unique identifier (HEX ID) is only one of three potential identification methods described in the EPIRB specification. The others are MMSI and ship's radio call sign. Different countries require different methods, in some countries the HEX ID is used, in others the EPIRB vendor must program either the MMSI or the call sign before delivering the EPIRB. The purpose of this is to provide identification in the event that the purchaser doesn't register the EPIRB. If either the MMSI or the ship call sign is used as the identifier in the Protected Data Field 1 (PDF-1) transmitted by the EPIRB then SAR authorities have a likely ability to identify the vessel even if the EPIRB was never registered separately. Arguably this may be better than using the anonymous HEX ID.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EPIRB Coding.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	183900

For more than you ever wanted to know about EPIRB messages and their coding:

EPIRB CODING
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 05:06   #48

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
A question for all you sailors that have traveled to different countries.
I'm in the process of purchasing an AIS and EPIRB for my 44' sailboat and need an MMSI number first. Although my boat is registered lawfully in Bermuda with the local Marine and Ports department, Bermuda requires me to register my ship with the British Shipping Registry and then apply for a licence to get my MMSI...a $1,500 process...plus annual registration.

What would happen if I paid the $25 to register my boat for local travel, got my MMSI number and then traveled overseas? Surely the MMSI number would remain the same as would the boat and emergency details associated with it?

Obviously, I wouldn't dream of upsetting the authorities or breaking the law but in reality, what would happen if I turn up in a different jurisdiction with an MMSI issued for local travel? Would they even know?

Why buy an MMSI? Because usually they are not anywhere close to that expensive. Mine ( Canada) is included with the price of the annual Station license (at a cost of $38 CAD). And the benefits of the MMSI are numerous. If I were you I would check that you are talking to the right people. Almost sounds like they are looking at a commerical (big ship) registration but I'm just guessing based on price.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 15:43   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Actually the manufacturer's unique identifier (HEX ID) is only one of three potential identification methods described in the EPIRB specification. The others are MMSI and ship's radio call sign. Different countries require different methods, in some countries the HEX ID is used, in others the EPIRB vendor must program either the MMSI or the call sign before delivering the EPIRB. The purpose of this is to provide identification in the event that the purchaser doesn't register the EPIRB. If either the MMSI or the ship call sign is used as the identifier in the Protected Data Field 1 (PDF-1) transmitted by the EPIRB then SAR authorities have a likely ability to identify the vessel even if the EPIRB was never registered separately. Arguably this may be better than using the anonymous HEX ID....

[/URL]
Actually, in the US anyway, the EPIRB registration is better maintained than the MMSI registration. That could be a problem if MMSI data encoded in the beacon is included with the HEXID, and the data contains conflicting information, confusing the SAR responder who is responsible for acting on the distress alert. MMSI and HEXID registered data can easily conflict if the EPIRB is moved to another boat, or if a DSC radio or AIS on the boat is sold and the MMSI assigned to someone else.

COSPAS SARSAT includes the HEXID registration information in the distress alert message sent to the responsible Rescue Coordination Center.

Some of the newer 406 MHz EPIRBs using AIS as a locating beacon even transmit the HEXID as an AIS safety-related message, both in test mode and distress activated mode.

I'd recommend that the HEXID be registered and kept up to date, and the MMSI not be used with the EPIRB.
joehersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 17:50   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehersey View Post
...I'd recommend that the HEXID be registered and kept up to date, and the MMSI not be used with the EPIRB.
It's not a choice. The US has decided to use and register the random HEX ID assigned by the EPIRB manufacturer at the factory and associated with a beacon. Other countries have other rules and laws. Switzerland, for example (because I happen to be familiar) requires the EPIRB to transmit the MMSI as the identification code:

Quote:
In accordance with the decision of the Swiss Maritime Navigation Office (SSA) in Basel, owners of EPIRBs (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons) must register these emergency radio beacons in the IBRD (International 406 MHz Beacon Registration Database) under their own responsibility.

The MMSI number allocated by OFCOM must be programmed into the EPIRB[emphasis added]. When an emergency radio beacon is purchased, the vessel owner receives programming instructions from the EPIRB provider. The data therein ensure that the EPIRB can be easily identified (a unique 15-character code).
Quote:
The alert essentially contains only the MMSI number which is programmed into the EPIRB and the distress position. No other indications are available to the MRCC in an alert report. The Search and Rescue Point of Contact (SPOC) of the MRCC responsible for the rescue action can then acquire all information from the password-protected database. The MRCC in the flag state offers support if clarification is required and supports the MRCC which leads the rescue action.

If the alert is transmitted from a Swiss flagged vessel, the FMCC in Toulouse relays the alert to the MRCC which is responsible for the sea region concerned and also to MRCC Zurich (flag state Switzerland). The latter can make contact with the contact person, acquire supporting information and details and forward them to the MRCC which is responsible for search and rescue.
Source - English Version

It's all still a HEX ID, still transmitted in the same PDF, and still goes to the same COSPAS SARSAT offices. And it still gets registered in the same databases, the only difference is that rather than some random number assigned at the factory the HEX ID matches the MMSI, which then means that if you don't register the beacon there's a chance that the information can be found elsewhere. Of course, the flip side of this is that the owner has more responsibility when selling the vessel or the EPIRB, or moving the EPIRB to a different boat (responsibility that the US government is generally loathe to allow to their citizens).

Every EPIRB manufacturer/distributor that sells in these countries provides the programming service. It's usually included in the purchase price when new, and runs about USD 40 for reprogramming if there's a reason to change the value in the EPIRB.
Old 16-01-2019, 18:23   #51

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469

Paying $25 for a non-international MMSI is a scam. BoatUS charges it because they have found people will pay it. However you can get/register a non-international MMSI for free from the US Power Squadron.
http://www.usps.org/php/mmsi_new/
Rdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 19:17   #52

Boat: Nordic 44

OK, If it is just the EPIRB issue there is an alternative.

I have two EPIRBs, one was purchased in the U.S. and is registered in the U.S. The other one was purchased in New Zealand and is registered there. My New Zealand registration has my U.S. contact information. The Hex code must include a country code. The New Zealand EPIRB could not be registered in the U.S. but NZ had no problem with a non citizen registering it there.

I was not aware that there are EPIRBs that send an MMSI so this discussion is new information to me. All you have to do is purchase an EPIRB in a country that does not use the MMSI in the EPIRB and register it in that country. So if you are in Bermuda buy an EPIRB in the U.S. and register it in the U.S. The shipping and import duty would not be that much compared to your licensing requirements. Some countries do not charge duty on safety equipment. Does Bermuda?
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 10:32   #53

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

In commenting about what form of identification is used or ought to be used by encoding into the distress alert message sent by an EPIRB, and how this might vary from country to country:

Quote:
Actually the manufacturer's unique identifier (HEX ID) is only one of three potential identification methods [manufacturer's original device hex ID, vessel MMSI, ship station radio callsign] described in the EPIRB specification.
Thanks for mentioning that. I was not aware of the other two options. I don't believe they are in use in the USA.

I found this comment in the owner's manual for a McMurdo EPIRB:

Quote:
13.5 Sale or transfer
EPIRBs registered in Australia, Canada, UK and USA do not need to be re- programmed when transferred to a new vessel. Simply complete another registration form to inform the authorities of the transfer. Use one of the spare forms provided or contact Orolia Ltd for a blank form.

For most other countries, the EPIRB must be re-programmed with either the new vessel’s Maritime Mobile Station Identity (MMSI) or its radio call sign, whichever is required by the country controlling the new vessel. Since the EPIRB identity contains a country code, it follows that changing the flag state of the vessel also means the EPIRB must be re-programmed.
Source: https://www.mcmurdogroup.com/wp-cont...-Manual_EN.pdf
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 10:50   #54

Way back to the OP's original question, here, finally, are the legal requirements from Bermuda. Whether or not you choose to follow them...

Quote:
2. While not required by law, private recreational vessels may also fit 406 MHz EPIRBs. They must be in possession of either a Class 5 or Class 9 Radio License, as this provides the necessary radio callsign or MMSI number to be used when programming the EPIRB.

3. Every 406 MHz EPIRB must be programmed with two key items of information :

3.1 The first relates to the country in which the beacon / vessel is registered. This 3 digit country code or Maritime Identification Digits (MID) is 310 for Bermuda.

3.2 The second item of information identifies the vessel. This is achieved by programming the beacon with either :
i/ The ship's radio call sign (e.g. ZCAN3)
ii/ The ship's Maritime Mobile Service Identification (MMSI) number (e.g. 310123456). Note that the first three digits of the MMSI number are the MID for Bermuda (310).

4. All 406 MHz EPIRBs fitted to Bermuda registered vessels must be registered with Rescue Co-ordination Centre (RCC) Bermuda (Bermuda Harbour Radio) using the appropriate registration form. Call (441) 297-1010 to obtain a copy by fax, or visit their web site at : Department of Marine and Ports Services
For those in the USA, it turns out that NOAA allows the use of random HEX ID, MMSI, or radio call sign. You can register whichever method you like. Finding an EPIRB vendor that sells (and knows how to program) a US type-approved, programmable EPIRB may be a whole other question.
Old 18-01-2019, 07:49   #55

Quote:
For those in the USA, it turns out that NOAA allows the use of random HEX ID, MMSI, or radio call sign. You can register whichever method you like. Finding an EPIRB vendor that sells (and knows how to program) a US type-approved, programmable EPIRB may be a whole other question.
It is great that seafaring nations like Switzerland and Bermuda use different rules for EPIRB registration than the USA, Canada, Australia, and the U.K., but I am not sure how one makes the inference that those are better rules or that boaters from the the USA, Canada, Australia, and the U.K. should adopt options that are mandatory in other countries. Using the manufacturer's original encoded ID seems to be working. It works for PLB devices, and since there are more people than ships, I would expect that the number of PLB devices will be greater than the number of EPIRB devices, if not already, at least going forward.

As for the OP, his plight is dire. The costs required for him to register his EPIRB seem to be discouragingly high. In contrast, in the USA he would not have any cost imposed to register his EPIRB. If the goal is to be able to render aid to people in distress, imposing high costs up-front to enter the system does not seem like the best method of attracting users to the system. In the cited case of Bermuda, it looks like the administrative costs far exceed the cost of the hardware. That generally indicates an inefficiency in the marketplace.

Also, the manufacturer's ID number is not a random number. It is a unique number that identifies the individual device.
Old 18-01-2019, 09:05   #56

Boat: Freedom 32'

Registration Criteria

BoatUS has been authorized by both the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the U.S. Coast Guard to assign MMSI numbers only to vessels that meet the following criteria:

Used for recreation only
Not required by law to carry a radio
Do not communicate with or visit foreign ports (i.e. Canada, Bahamas, Mexico & the Caribbean)
This is free from BoatUs.
Does this mean you just can't use it should something happen sailing to a foreign port?
Old 18-01-2019, 13:09   #57

What is the downside to having your MMSI encoded in an EPIRB HEX ID? I just can't see one, other than selling or transferring your EPIRB, and I don't consider that a problem. On the upside, your EPIRB still has a HEX ID. You still have to register that HEX ID in the appropriate beacon registration database. Nothing different. But, the HEX ID you have entered contains your MMSI. Should you fail to register your beacon or fail to update the registration it provides another avenue for identification as well as opening up communications avenues.

Scenario A

You are crossing the Indian Ocean when you have occasion to set off your EPIRB. Your signal is received by a satellite and the COSPAS-SARSAT system transfers the information and responsibility to MRCC Reunion, the closest response center. You're 1100 miles from the nearest air support, beyond the range of anything available. But, your beacon is coded with your MMSI.

The MRCC tech does two things immediately; puts your MMSI into a satellite AIS data search. Turns out you have AIS and they can see your track from satellite data for the last two weeks (or years, whatever). That provides much more detail than the single burst from your EPIRB. At the same time the tech sends an urgent NAVTEX to all ships within 200 miles of your reported position. The message includes your position and your MMSI. All without the tech ever having to consult a database of any kind.

Turns out the MAERSK ORION is 60 miles from your position. They alter course toward the EPIRB coordinates. They also program their DSC radio with your MMSI and set up their radio to send automatic DSC position requests to your radio. If you have a DSC VHF, or an AIS, or a DSC handheld in your liferaft it will send your position back to the ORION, all without you having to do anything. And here's the thing about DSC text messages - they have a much greater range than VHF voice calls. The texts can be automated to repeat until they get an answer. They're digital burst transmissions that only require reception for a few hundredth's of a second. Just as a cell phone SMS can get through when you have no hope of a call, so too with a DSC message.

When they're 50 miles out the ORION gets a response from your DSC. They relay this to the MRCC, and they also text you back with a question - "nature distress?" An hour after you set off your EPIRB there's the possibility of a two-way conversation with a potential source of aid.

Scenario B

Your EPIRB is coded with a factory ID. The MRCC sends out a NAVTEX with your position but no other information. The MRCC tech queries the International Beacon Registration Database (IBRD) and gets back the response that the country code of the beacon is not supproted (but at least it gives them the correct database to query).

The technician queries the NOAA US database and gets back your vessel name and information and emergency contact information. But you didn't include your MMSI when you registered your beacon. This MRCC tech is savvy, she knows that the FCC has a separate Station License database, so she goes there to enter the vessel details she got from the NOAA database. Only to be greeted by a front page that tells here that the database search function is not available due to a government shutdown. No MMSI available to MRCC.

They try to call your brother, the listed contact on the beacon registration. Your brother has changed jobs twice since you registered the beacon, the day/work number you put in the database is useless. They try his mobile but all he sees is a mystery caller ID in Africa so he rejects the call. Twice. Finally they text him and he calls them back. There's the language barrier, of course. It's been a while, but yes, you have a boat, yes, you are in the Indian Ocean. He thinks your boat is white. It is 'big' and 'nice.'

The MAERSK ORION is still vectored to your location, but it is four hours longer before they reach voice VHF range. Would that four hours have made a difference?

----

I just don't see a downside. With my MMSI encoded in the HEX ID an MRCC has a wealth of information available without ever having to search a registration database or contact your relatives (although they will). If you enter my MMSI at MarineTraffic.com you'll instantly get my last postion (if you've paid for satellite data) along with details on type of vessel, color markings, and complete with several color photographs. Does the EPIRB database allow you to upload boat photos? No asking relatives if they have photos. No having to find them on their phone, or get them scanned in, or.... All because your MMSI was transmitted in the very first EPIRB alert message.

It's scary how much information is out there tied to your MMSI (your HEX ID not so much). I'm not sure I really like that. But when the chips are down and I'm asking someone else to risk their life to save mine I'll be glad if they've laid their eyes on every scrap of potentially useful information.
Old 19-01-2019, 08:01   #58

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I am told the same thing. It's being dated stamped but not opened. So my doc service also sent them an electronic application with some paperwork, and expects that will at least get us a number assigned. Or so I was told.
My current Doc. expires 1/31/2019; I mailed my Doc. renewal form and check on 12/27. It's been snagged in the shutdown, and I'm concerned that I will be charged a late fee, or even an $84 renewal charge if the shutdown continues 31 days past my expiration date. I'm debating whether I should renew online now in order to have some tangible evidence that I complied with the deadlines. This from the NVDC website: "TRANSACTIONS SUBMITTED VIA THIS WEBSITE MIGHT NOT BE PROCESSED". Any thoughts?
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 13:34   #59

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtriad View Post
My current Doc. expires 1/31/2019; I mailed my Doc. renewal form and check on 12/27. It's been snagged in the shutdown, and I'm concerned that I will be charged a late fee, or even an $84 renewal charge if the shutdown continues 31 days past my expiration date. I'm debating whether I should renew online now in order to have some tangible evidence that I complied with the deadlines. This from the NVDC website: "TRANSACTIONS SUBMITTED VIA THIS WEBSITE MIGHT NOT BE PROCESSED". Any thoughts?
Well I was told everything coming in by mail was being dated stamped as received. So I would hope they refer to that when determining whether it is "late".
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 08:47   #60

Quote:
...Should you fail to register your beacon or fail to update the registration [then encoding an MMSI or SHIP STATION LICENSE CALLSIGN into the beacon] provides another avenue for identification as well as opening up communications avenues.

Scenario A

You are crossing the Indian Ocean....

Scenario B

Your EPIRB is coded with a factory ID...

----

I just don't see a downside....
You have invented two imaginative hypothetical situations to contrast in order to support your recommendation. The proffered advantages accrue mainly when the beacon owner has been negligent in maintaining good information in the primary database. Your hypothetical requires the user to then maintain more accurate information in alternative databases, and for the rescue agency to take unusual actions to find those databases.

I offer the following comments:

--the SARSAT system has been rescuing people using the hex-ID of distress alert beacons without having encoding of a MMSI or SHIP STATION LICENSE callsign for several decades. SARSAT says there have been "over 43,000 people rescued since 1982." It appears that the system is able to work without encoding MMSI or callsign data;

--the SARSAT system works for non-maritime beacons, like PLB beacons, which obviously would not have an MMSI or a callsign to encode;

--when registering an EPIRB, you can include the ship MMSI and callsign in the information submitted to the registry. I would presume that if the registry agency is collecting this information, they would then incorporate the information in the database. If the information is in the database, then I would presume that it is available to all rescue coordination centers.

--your hypothetical situation required that the primary database might not be available. Would that to occur it would be a serious failure of the SARSAT system. The fundamental method of identification of the person or vessel or aircraft in distress in SARSAT is the beacon's unique hex-id.

--The beacon's unique hex-id code is the KEY parameter for searching the database for further information. The more databases that you suggest must be searched to recover information necessary to aid the rescue, the more chances for conflicting information. If there is only one database, and it contains all the known information then the system is simpler, both for the rescuers and those planning to be rescued. The boater only needs to maintain up-to-date information with one registry agency. The rescuer only needs to look in one database.

However, I do agree, that if a boater already has an MMSI and a ship station callsign, asking that those data be encoded into the information the beacon will be transmitting by the retailer at the time of purchase can't hurt, unless there is a high cost for this service, or the EPIRB is to be moved to a different vessel or the vessel callsign changes and the cost and process to re-code the EPIRB is not low-cost nor easily accomplished.

If the cost to a person who wants to use the SARSAT system is going to be $1,500 in administrative fees in order to acquire an MMSI or callsign, I don't see that expense as being justified in order to get that data encoded into the beacon. SARSAT will still try to rescue you without your beacon sending an MMSI or callsign. As their history shows, they seem to be rather good at that.

Tags
ais