Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2013, 12:49   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Which Radar? Offshore/S. Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Well, time for more research to see what works with what.

I'm leaning towards the Garmin MFD(s) since I already have the maps. And the 18" 4Kw raydome which would fit my swing mount pretty good.
There's nothing wrong with Garmin stuff, but I wouldn't let the charts make that decision for me, if I were you. That's the tail wagging the dog. If you decide on some other system, you can always sell the charts and the old system. I was amazed, but even my ancient Raymarine Pathfinder system was ripped out of my hands on Fleabay.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 19:16   #62

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Furuno give you the same choice but you must commit to one or the other when you buy.

I have never owned a chartplotter or radar and am getting good use of this thread.
Can someone clarify for me?
Am I correct that plotters come with preloaded charts now and that you dont have to buy chart chips/software extra?
How do they get updated and how many regions are included?
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 20:13   #63

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
I have never owned a chartplotter or radar and am getting good use of this thread.
Can someone clarify for me?
Am I correct that plotters come with preloaded charts now and that you dont have to buy chart chips/software extra?
How do they get updated and how many regions are included?
Plotters are usually installed with maps of the area they are sold. e.g. USA, Canada and others I'm sure. I know Garmin has a page where one can update the maps once but you have to pay for membership for more.
Old 22-06-2013, 20:18   #64

Boat: Able 50

If you buy from a dealer in USA you get all US charts free with the plotter and beyond that you pay.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 20:41   #65

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Thanks guys.

And are updates expensive?
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 23:01   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Quote:
If you buy from a dealer in USA you get all US charts free with the plotter and beyond that you pay.
The charts included with the plotter are often simple charts like Navionics Silver, which is really just an enhanced base map. I think many, if not most people, buy more charts separately.

Besides that, of course, you have to keep them up to date. More $$$
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 23-06-2013, 01:12   #67

Boat: Able 50

The only one I know is Jeppeson who charge $89/year.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 02:25   #68

Boat: Moody 36 (1981)

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I'm not sure about the USA but in UK Garmin quote 50% full price for updates. You send them your chip and the cash and it comes back with updated charts. There are also some dealers here in UK that can do the updates on-site.
Old 23-06-2013, 03:14   #69

Boat: 33ft sloop

Garmin employs an excellent customer service (at least here in Holland).
I have decided to buy their latest 4G before I lift off to the med later this season to buy one.

Recent experiences have learned that for the single hander it is advisable to have a advance warningsystem on board since the obstacles at sea have increased the last decennia substantially. Wind mill parks, drilling platforms, are counted by the dozens in the North Sea area as are the fisherman a similar threat in the Med.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 03:28   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
1) For your clarification.... Absolutely NOT....

2) NO...Nothing at all to do with any land based signals....

3) Simrad "4G" radar is a solid-state (as opposed to a Magnetron) FMCW (as opposed to pulsed) radar....
And, for further info, FMCW radar has been in use in aircraft (radar altimeters) for decades and decades....and recent advances in technology has allowed this to be "affordable" for marine target radar...

4) Quite honestly, I've never understood the "3G" and "4G" nomenclature (nor even "broadband") in regards to solid-state FMCW radar....
I know "3G" and "4G" are generically used for "third generation" and "fourth generation", but considering the over-use of these monikers these days (and usually in regards to data comms with phones/pads/computers), their use in describing a "new" marine radar seems like a mistake (at least in my opinion..)

I hope this helps..

John
s/v Annie Laurie
+1

All this "broadband", "3G", "4G", etc. Is ridiculous marketing hype bordering on deceptive advertising. It's intended to give the impression that it is a revolutionary leap forward like 3G mobile telephony was compared to what went before. But it's not.
Old 23-06-2013, 06:15   #71

Boat: 33ft sloop

3G-4G has nothing to do with marketing hype but with the radiation of the magnetron.
As many radars nowadays are in a low position the latest technology in radardesign prevents harmful radiation.

At least this is what a navy radarguy told me.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 11:07   #72

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I did a spread sheet on these three major radar suppliers Garmin, Simrad & Furuno. Price wise Garmin has the best price but not much over Simrad. Furuno by far is the highest and it doesn't have all the capabilities of the NEMA 2000 system. I've had bad experiences with Raymarine stuff so I didn't even consider them.

So, here is my list of necessities in order to get Radar and map overlays with AIS included. I may consider two MFD's but the 8" for sure.

Garmin MFD: 6208 (8") &/or 4210 (10")

Garmin Radar: GMR 18/HD

Garmin GPS antenna: 19x

Garmin 4" Display (electric compass): IS20

Airmar Heading Sensor: H2183

Vesper AIS: XB-8000

All this comes out to around US$7225, not including shipping or the wiring to hook it all up. Simrad was around $1000 more w/less choice in MFD's. And Furuno was around $10K.

Does this list look functional? Any mismatch or incompatibility?

Also, I want to add a second VHF to this system, any suggestions? My Standard Horizon isn't NEMA2000, but do I really need that. I'd like something with a built in fog horn/bell.

Del
Old 25-06-2013, 11:47   #73

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Furuno give you the same choice but you must commit to one or the other when you buy.
That is not true. You can buy which ever, when ever, have them installed simultaneously, and switch between them at will. You don't need to commit to any type of chart, or even buy any charts at all, at time of purchase.

And don't forget that Raster charts are a third version accepted, alongside CMap and Navionics.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 11:57   #74

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I can only speak for Furuno NN3D. In the US, the unit comes preloaded with all NOAA raster and vector charts, as well as high resolution satellite photos. Updates are free and downloaded off the internet onto a standard SD card for using on the unit.

Outside the US, you buy CMap or Navionics through MapMedia for the region(s) you desire. Updates for the CMap charts cost the same as buying them new again. This really pisses me off - they update them twice a year, and told me I should buy new charts 2x a year @$600. They won't give me a list of what update changes have been made between versions, so most likely they want $600/year to learn that a lighthouse has been repainted. I don't know about Navionics, but suspect the same.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 11:58   #75

Boat: a sailing boat

I like the overlay (radar image over the digital chart) but I do not use it like this much of the time. So, I would like a "wide screen" device - to keep the radar and chart images side by side. Ability to swap radar/ais image would be very nice.

I think, with my limited concentration abilities, I would optimally like three separate devices with the chartplotter able to overlay radar and/or AIS when desired.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar