Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2013, 12:01   #76

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Which Radar? Offshore/S. Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I'll keep the Garmin plotter on my pedestal and buy an MFD something or other. If I go with a Garmin MFD I can still use the maps/cards that I have, for the overlay.
Check very carefully on that. Many units from the same manufacturer use different physical media and/or electronic formats for their charts.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 12:09   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
3G-4G has nothing to do with marketing hype but with the radiation of the magnetron.
As many radars nowadays are in a low position the latest technology in radardesign prevents harmful radiation.

At least this is what a navy radarguy told me.
The 3G/4G part doesn't make any sense. It certainly has nothing to do with the radiation and most likely all to do with marketing (3G/4G doesn't even use a magnetron and the frequency is ~9 GHz).

He is correct that 3G/4G emits less radiation at a less harmful frequency.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 25-06-2013, 12:14   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
There is a new sensor (I think a new heading sensor(?)) from Ray. Found out looking at their new AP. I may be wrong but it looks like a heading/roll/pitch sensor based on accelerometers.

Evolution Autopilot | Autopilots from Raymarine

I assume it may add precision to Ray based radar overlays too.

b.
It appears to be more than just a heading sensor and is the entire autopilot brains. So I don't think it will be useful as just a sensor on other systems, and most likely contains proprietary PGN's or equivalent.

It does look nice - maybe RM will break it out in the future and sell the sensor-only version.

Mark

Old 25-06-2013, 12:27   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I hear great things about the fancy new ones, including ones that will pick up pangas, but I guess I don't really see how that's possible in a normal chopped up seaway.
The new radars are drastically improved in all abilities due to advances in digital signal processing, processing algorithms, processing speed, signal generation and control, etc. Picking up a panga in choppy waters is easy when the unit can on-the-fly do noise filtration, signal processing, compare consecutive scans and average recurring signals at faster scan speeds.

Think of each of a new radar's sweep as consisting of dozens of an old radars sweeps that have been entered into a computer for processing and analysis before being displayed.

We replaced our 1998 top-of-the-line analog Anritsu/Simrad (with 3D capability!) with a new HD digital radar and the difference is dramatic. Not just in features (although we lost the 3D!), but in performance.

Not suggesting in any way that older ones are not fully capable - I was just answering your specific question as to how the newer ones achieve increased performance using the same basic magnetron/frequency/sweep technology.

Mark

Old 26-06-2013, 08:06   #80

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I think, with my limited concentration abilities, I would optimally like three separate devices with the chartplotter able to overlay radar and/or AIS when desired.

b.
I leave it to others to tell me how unconcentrated I'm getting, but this is my preference as well. I also don't do well with a monocle.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 09:09   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
3G-4G has nothing to do with marketing hype but with the radiation of the magnetron.
As many radars nowadays are in a low position the latest technology in radardesign prevents harmful radiation.

At least this is what a navy radarguy told me.
The terminology is pure marketing hype. This terminology falsely implies:

1. a revolutionary change from pulse radar, a la 3g phone service, with fundamentally different performance characteristics (and even between two variants of the same thing, which is really ridiculous); and

2. what's really false is that it implies that this type of radar is a new "generation" which renders others types obsolete, as was the case with phone service. The "G" in "3G" implies "generation".

But I agree that the radar itself is a different technology with some differences. As someone else pointed out, it's nothing new -- the technology has been around for decades in military applications.

Yes, they emit less radiation than pulse types, which is a good thing for some people, but I don't think that's the main difference. The main difference is that the "3G" and "4G" type radars emit a continuous beam of very weak signals which varies continuously in frequency, instead of pulses of stronger signals. The reflections are interpreted by analysis of the frequency which comes back, which tells the system precisely at what time the original signal was emitted. That allows the system to calculate the distance. Pulse radar merely uses timing of reception of the reflection to calculate distance, which is why it can't transmit continuously -- it has to stop and listen for reflections.

I think that's it in a nutshell, assuming I understand it correctly myself.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 01:57   #82

Can the Furuno 1835 accept input from the Simrad NSE12 for GPS, AIS and DEPTH.

It is set up to accept these inputs. But will it accept these inputs only from Furuno equipment ?

Would apprecate reply from someone who has done this.

Thanks

Jeff
Jeff Millar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 21:07   #83

Boat: Catalina 470

Jeff,
You haven't been too forthcoming, so I'm not really sure what you are trying to accomplish...
Perhaps you have a working Furuno 1835 Radar (a great unit BTW...) and wish to install a chartplotter/MFD (but NOT change out your Radar), and wish to get some navigation (and AIS) data onto your radar screen as well as onto the charetplotter/FMD, without buying a Simrad Radar???
(the electrical power consumption of this would be quite high, and not something that most cruisers / offshore voyagers would consider acceptable...)

Whatever the case, I think I can help....as I'm familiar with the Furuno 1835 Radar....although, not so much with the Simrad NSE12....

The short answer is:
The Furuno 1835 will accept data from ant NMEA 0183 device, no matter what brand, it does NOT need to be Furuno...but...
But....
The Furuno 1835 Radar is a NMEA 0183 device/display....and it appears that the Simrad NES12 is a NMEA 2000 multi-function display....

The Furuno 1835 accepts quite a lot of NMEA 1083 data/sentences...but it is NOT NMEA 2000 compatible....so, you would need to have the NSE12 output NMEA 0183 data in order for the Furuno 1835 to accept/use the data...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Millar View Post
Can the Furuno 1835 accept input from the Simrad NSE12 for GPS, AIS and DEPTH.

It is set up to accept these inputs. But will it accept these inputs only from Furuno equipment ?
The long answer is:
a) the Furuno has two NMEA 0183 inputs, with independently selectable baud rates....allowing both standard 4800 baud NMEA 0183 data (from GPS, Depth, etc.) as well as 38400 baud AIS data to be inputted independently...

Not sure how/where your NSE12 is getting its position, depth and AIS data....but assuming it is NMEA 2000, then the NSE12 would need to convert this to multiple NMEA 0183 streams in order for the Furuno 1835 to accept/use all of this data....

If you don't have the Furuno manuals, they are available on-line...
Product Detail - 1835
http://furunousa.com/ProductDocuments/1835%201935%201945%20Operator's%20Manual%20C%20%20 1-18-10.pdf
http://furunousa.com/ProductDocument...0%205-9-12.pdf

So....
b) assuming the NSE12 will output NMEA 0183 position data (one of these NMEA 0183 sentences GNS, GGA, RMC, or GLL), the Furuno 1835 will accept and display this position data...
c) assuming the NES12 also outputs NMEA 0183 depth data (either DBT or DPT NMEA sentences), the Furuno 1835 will accept and display this depth data...
d) assuming your NSE12 can also output the hi-speed NMEA 0183 AIS data (38400 baud NMEA AIS data), the Furuno 1835 will accept and display this AIS data...

But, if the NSE12 will not output all of this in NMEA 0183, the Furuno 1835 will NOT be able to do everything you desire it to do...

If you don't have the Simrad NSE12 manual, is also available on-line...
http://pro.simrad-yachting.com/Root/...SE8-12_OM_EN_~[988-0175-02]~_B_w.pdf

Sorry to be so "ify"....but I cannot confirm how you output NMEA 0183 data, nor if you can output two streams (at different baud rates) of NMEA 0183 data.....
You should be able to select this from the "Settings" Menu, "Network" sub-menu, but the manual is not clear...
Perhaps someone who has a NSE12 will answer this specific question...

I hope this helps...
Fair winds..

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 00:19   #84

Can the Furuno 1835 Radar be connected to a Lap Top computer and display the Radar plot ?
Can the Lap Top be connected to a Simrad NES12 and display the Radar plot on screen.
Or what to do ?

Thanks for any helpful comments

Jeff
Old 28-08-2013, 00:36   #85

kA4WAJ,

Thank you for your reply. All new Simrad AP28, AC42, CP42 , WIND and Depth instruments and AIS.
The 1835 is set up to receive GPS, AIS and Depth INPUTS. As you suggest if I understand correctly the 1835 is set up to receive NMEA 0183.
Is a conversion required NMEA 2000 TO 0183 ?
Or can I connect the 1835 to the Lap TOP to display the Radar plot
and connect the Lap Top to the NSE12
Have i worded this clearly or created more confusion.
The 1835 will accept input from the Furuno GPS, SHOULD i JUST BUY this
to keep this simple or what ?
Willing to learn, please excuse my lack of knowledge with this integration.

Reall appreciate your feed back.

Jeff
Old 28-08-2013, 00:42   #86

Think I understand now. The NSE12 WHICH IS ALL NMEA2000
has I believe a NMEA 0183 OUT PUT WHICH WOULD CONNECT TO THE 1835.

Where would the connection be made on the 1835 ?
at the GPS input ?
Old 28-08-2013, 00:56   #87

Ka4wja,

The NSE12 NMEA Interface Input : GLL, GGA, RMC, GSV, APB, BWC, DPT, MTW, VLW, HDG.
NMEA Output :gga, gll, gsa, gsv, vtg, zda, aam, apb, dob, bwc, bwr,rmc, rmb, xte, dbt, dpt, mtw, vlw, vhw, hdg, mwv, tll, ttm

Does this help, Please reply at your convenience

Jeff
Old 28-08-2013, 00:58   #88

Ka4wja,

The above data is all NMEA 0184, MEANT TO INCLUDE THAT ABOVE.
Old 28-08-2013, 02:17   #89

Question : Can the Furuno 1835 Radar be integrated to receive input for GPS, AIS and Depth from a SIMRAD System.

The SHORT answer : Apparently YES. The 1825 accepts only NMEA 0183
The SIMRAD NSE12 outputs NMEA 2000 DATA.
What is needed is an ADAPTER
the SIMRAD AT - 10, CONVERTS 2000 TO 0183 or 0183 to 2000.
Old 28-08-2013, 06:01   #90

Don't use the AT-10 - that is a troubling piece of gear. Instead, use an Actisense converter. You will be much happier in the long run, and the prices should be about the same.

Mark

Tags
radar