Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2011, 20:23   #31

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow
The ships license thing confuses most people. A ships radio license, is a license for the "ship", it determines what the ship can and should carry and what obligations having a radio has. This stems from the fact that ships have compulsory fit requirements and obligations under SOLAS conventions. Ships were one of the first users of radio technology and the rules stem from there.

There probably is a case that for non compulsory fit vessels the operators cert and the ships license should be amalgamated as usually the owner is the operator.

note that you dont,certainly under ITU rules, need to get a ships license for each radio, teh ship has just one license which covers all radio devices on board ( including radar, sat phones, EPIRBS etc), normally you list the all off.

In the US the FCC seems to have an extraordinary convoluted apllication process, normally in the EU its a simple one page form and sometimes there isnt even a fee.

Dave
The US governments (all levels) rarely does anything the easy or obvious way. (and yes I'm a US citizen). Someone somewhere along the line told me the FCC wasn't doing a ships license anymore. In reading what I could find it looks to me like they license a person who owns the ship rather than the ship itself. That way it isn't transferable to subsequent owners. I see no logic in that other than $$. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 08:10   #32

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat
Re: Which Is Better ? Good-Used or Cheap-New VHF ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
The US governments (all levels) rarely does anything the easy or obvious way. (and yes I'm a US citizen). Someone somewhere along the line told me the FCC wasn't doing a ships license anymore. In reading what I could find it looks to me like they license a person who owns the ship rather than the ship itself. That way it isn't transferable to subsequent owners. I see no logic in that other than $$. SC
Yes, the FCC ULS process is not simple. Be sure not to have a cocktail or two before you start the process. It is not particularly straightforward.

I received my first FCC station license when I was 13-years old--that was 47-years ago. I obtained it from some stern-faced bureaucrats on the tenth floor of a marble and granite federal building in the center of the city where I lived. My father had dropped me off and had given me cash money to pay for it. After I filled out the application I was informed that the FCC did not accept cash for applications. Of course, as a 13-year-old I did not have a checking account or have a check with me. They suggested I get a money order. I had to run down to a concessionaire's shop on the first floor of the federal building and buy a money order. I don't think I had enough extra money to pay for the money order fee, but the fellow took pity on me and gave me a money order without the usual fee. I think the money order was for five-dollars. Then I hurried back to the tenth floor to sit for the examination. This confusion with the money was very upsetting, and got me very nervous. However, I did pass the examination and got my station and operator license. I guess some things never change with big government.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 09:46   #33
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The FCC could not issue ships station licenses exclusively to owners. The ITU regulations are clear it belongs to the ship. Ie it's primarily function is to assign call signs to the ship not it's owners

Dave
Old 26-09-2011, 09:50   #34

Quote:
The FCC could not issue ships station licenses exclusively to owners. The ITU regulations are clear it belongs to the ship. Ie it's primarily function is to assign call signs to the ship not it's owners

Dave
Are the call signs supposed to be permanent?
Old 26-09-2011, 09:56   #35
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser

Are the call signs supposed to be permanent?
Yes very much so
Old 26-09-2011, 10:20   #36

Quote:

Yes very much so
Hmmm I don't think they're doing so.
Old 26-09-2011, 14:10   #37
Nearly an old salt

Ships can of course seek new ships licenses. But the norm is that as long ad the ship remains within the flag state she keeps her license and her call sign
Old 27-09-2011, 05:41   #38

Simple, buy a new one. Why? Any ten year old radio will have old capacitors, old resistors, old IC's and old switches. Even if never used electronic components age, particularly capacitors and can let you down when you need them. If new was three times the price of ten year old I'd look at buying a used one, but for the low cost of modern 'new' electronics there's no contest!
kiwiradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 17:27   #39

Boat: Sea Hunt Victory 225 WA

You want DSC....just too good to pass up for safety reasons.

VHF-FM/DSC is the most safety per buck you can buy. Get the SH GX-2150 and integrate with your chartplotter. You will be glad you did. Even better when you use the HX-851 as a MOB-like PFD belt attachment for added capability and finding MOB (as long as they have the HX-851 that is ;-) )
capecuddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, vhf