Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2013, 08:53   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Where to Mount Antenna For SSB DSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I had the ICS printing one on the last boat , fab piece of kit , interfaced to the GPS it switched stations automatically, The paper is a great energy saver. Pity they discontinued the model.

I think you may have confused things, To my knowledge real time Navtex is not available over the internet and therefore cannot be picked up using your Pactor modem. What you are comparing may be weather fax. That is available digitally and therefore I would question the need for standalone weather fax. ( though again the printer is great).

dave
What I use on my Navtex is the shipping forecast, which for UK and Atlantic Europe waters you can get word for word off the Met Office website. It is also read out periodically by the Coast Guard over VHF, and probably on HF as well.

I try to listen to the weather underway over VHF, but it's hard to keep up and remember if you don't write it down. I find the Navtex to be very useful for having the latest updated forecast right at hand.

What you don't get from the Met Office are navigational warnings and Notices to Mariners. I'll bet they're available online somewhere, too, in real time.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 08:59   #32
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Where to Mount Antenna For SSB DSC

yes but that is a UK specific situation, the big advantage of Navtex in European waters is its in ENglish, equally how will you use a Pactor modem to get at websites anyway, thats not going to work anyway. with Navtex you also get Distress alerts, and other emergency stuff as well. Easily one of the best bits of kit on the boat IMHO,

Dave

Tags
antenna, dsc, ssb