Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2015, 08:46   #1

Boat: Goderich 35
Where to install new Furuno 1715 radar

Hi,
New to the forum but here goes.....I just purchased a Furuno 1715 radar and need some advice on where to mount it. Mounting advice would include the radome and the display. I think I want to put the radome on my mast (cutter rig) and the display on an articulating mount just inside the companionway. But would like some other thoughts.....pro and con.
Thanks,
Dean
DeanMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 18:33   #2

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl
Re: Where to install new Furuno 1715 radar

Putting the display on a swing arm in the companionway is way cool. It seems very functional on friends boats, especially when it also repeats the depth and GPS data. I've never had it that way. Mine have always been inside.

Inside has worked fine for me. On my previous boat it was mounted so that you could see it while sitting at the nav station or in the galley. So if I was motoring in a calm and cooking or reading down below on watch, whenever the guard zone beeped I could look up and see what it just saw.

I've sailed with it on boats that have it right at the wheel. I think that's only the best if you are motoring in a thick fog and trying to find buoys and etc. Otherwise I feel like I so rarely want to look at radar as I sit at the helm. On watch I usually sit forward in the cockpit, not at the helm, and don't want the bright radar display wrecking my night vision, anyways.
Old 15-04-2015, 18:43   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We had the display on just such an articulating arm in our last boat, and I loved it. This boat when we acquired it had the display below at the nav station: bloody useless IMO. We replaced that one with a 1715 and put the display under the dodger, and that works well for me. It much depends on how you will be using the radar... IMO, when you really need it, you want to view it from the helm area and not be running up and down the companionway for a glimpse.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 15-04-2015, 19:12   #4

Boat: Able 50

Put the screen under the dodger.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 23:33   #5

Boat: Cal 2-27

We love our swing arm mount. When sailing, we angle it into the companionway towards the cockpit. When anchored, the plotter is inside and can be checked with a look. In my eyes, it's convenience that pays great dividends.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 07:37   #6

Location: Boat is currently at a marina in Point Richmond, CA
Boat: Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 34'

It is essential to be able to see the display from the helm. Mine swivels around so I can also view it while I sit under the dodger out of the weather. Re: the dome, mine is mounted on the backstay on a very expensive Questus pole. If I had it to do over again, I'd put it on the mast, higher up and out of the way.
jenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 08:44   #7

Boat: Union 36

Ours is on a swing arm; readily visible from the cockpit but unfortunately the display's size dictates being mounted where it's a stretch to reach without going below. If (when) we get a newer one with thinner display I will remount nearer the companionway and still have it on a swing arm for the added versatility.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 14:34   #8

Boat: Gozzard 36

I have a cutter rig and the dome is installed on the mast just below the spreaders ---with the additional height you get much better range and 'picture view' and it doesn't cause any problem when tacking. If your boat is a small or light boat (little displacement) or has a very narrow beam then you might consider whether the weight of your radar mount might adversely affect the stability of your boat---probably not a problem but maybe think about it.

As for where to mount the display for me there is no question that it should be mounted where you can reach it, where you can see it and most importantly WHERE YOU CAN ADJUST IT without having to leave the helm.

Mounting it down below is a waste ---imagine coming into a port or anchorage in the fog --you will want to be able to 'see' with your radar and to quickly react --you can't do that if the display is down below.

Also radar is a dynamic instrument --not a 'turn it on, set it and leave it alone' instrument --you will need to be able to adjust or re-tune it as conditions change --for example you will need to adjust it because of more or less 'sea clutter', or rain, or heavy fog, or the need to adjust the range to identify objects either nearer or further out ---and you don't want to have leave the helm (even with auto-pilot) because the reason you need to adjust the radar unit is because conditions have changed or sudden increased perils (ie. some stupid SOB in a high powered boat screaming along in the fog towards you)

THAT MEANS THAT THE DISPLAY MUST BE CLOSE AT HAND AT OR VERY NEAR THE HELM.

We sailed down from Vancouver to Mexico in the fall of 2005 with fog all along the way until after San Diego. With my radar display and control mounted above the binnacle at the helm we could (and regularly did) adjust our radar numerous times and by being able to do so we were able to save our bacon numerous times.

Just remember you will most need your radar when things are NOT all sweetness and light but instead are gnarly, difficult, dangerous and stressful.

For me the ONLY place for the radar display and control is at the helm.

Just my 2 bits FWIW
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 14:34   #9

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I had my 1615 mounted on an arm in the companionway, which allowed viewing at the helm and also below. It was a minor nuisance to swivel out of the way when using the companionway, but I would do it that way again if I had such a lightweight display. If it is an either/or choice then no question it belongs above deck - you really don't want to need someone below to watch the radar in addition to the helmsman while entering a harbor in fog or dark. If I am lucky enough to have a crew I will station them on the bow to look for hazards while I steer and watch the radar (which degrades night vision).

The scanner mounting position is largely a personal preference. Personally I like having mine on a pole (or radar arch) so that there still is radar when the mast is down. This is only likely to be an issue when transiting canals; I found it very helpful on the Erie Canal. Having a mount that can level, either by gravity or by lever, will improve performance but also can be a problem otherwise (cables can deteriorate over time with the movement).

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 16:56   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

I like the display at the location that you typically will be at while on watch. For us that is up under the dodger. I don't think the extra cost of having it swing into the cabin is worth it, unless space under the dodger is too much of a premium. As for location of the radome, I prefer aft pole mounted. It has a few advantages. It should show close in objects a little better, so when in pea-soup fog and looking for small close by markers, it should be clearer than one mounted high. It keeps weight out the rig -- never a good thing. On a pole the range for ship targets will be somewhat less, but I only use long range radar settings to look at weather.

Tags
furuno, radar