Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2019, 13:22   #31

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: What's the Best Wind Sensor?

I think it’s at least as important to consider repeatability as suggested above. I personally sail based on what the boat says and use the instruments for a general idea of what’s going on. As always ymmv
Old 01-07-2019, 04:21   #32

Boat: Y40

I think most race boats use mechanical wind sensors because most of them use B&G's systems and thus want to use also B&G's sensors. There are however French race boats and multihulls using LCJ Capteurs. And several national sailing teams use the CV7 in their coach boats.

Also national MET services were conservative before starting to use ultrasonic wind sensors. Today most of then use exclusively ultrasonic.

Even with the most accurate wind sensor it is very challenging to measure wind in a moving sailboat in choppy seas. Not only must the sensor be adjusted for the offset error, but you should also adjust the wind measurement för heel, leeway and upwash. And most of the basic wind systems have no such capabilities. Normally you can just make the offset adjustment and then they perform the basic wind triangle calculation. Note that also the speedlog should be carefully calibrated and preferably also adjusted for the effect of heeling.

So unless you have a system that enables all adjustments and (on top of all) also put the great effort to thoroughly calibrate the wind system you can never expect any accuracy. Unfortunately.
ChrisseH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 23:38   #33

I think I know one which is NOT the best; B&G 508.
First one lasted 3 months, stopped sending any data, FOC warranty replacement lasted 3 years, masses of corrosion. I had to contribute Au$380 to replace it and only get 6 months warranty. Only bright spot was very helpful dealer in Gladstone (Modern Marine Electronics,Qld, Aust)

Rgds
Draughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:27   #34

Boat: Bristol 32

I too am interested in wind sensors. It would have to be wireless for me to install it. I have no experience with any of these, and as it is soon going to be fall here in Maine, I have the winter to research. I just went down the Calypso Ultrasonic rabbit hole, researching that critter. It SOUNDS wonderful-on paper. And it just looks cool. But does it work? It is not a huge amount of money, about a 100 beers or so, but still I would like to hear from an end user before I pony up.

There is one report from the captain of Gizmo (forgot his name) here in Maine, but that's a power boat. I want to hear from a sailor. My B32 has been known to heel. How does this thing do at a 30 degree angle? That's when I'm really gonna want to know what it's blowing. Any sailors out there that have this thing?
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 19:08   #35

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I have the maretron ultrasonic sensor(cant remember model numbers), but so far after 5 years it has no issues.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:50   #36
ews

Boat: Hallberg Rassy HR31 Monsun
Send a message via Skype™ to ews

I have been devastated by having to go through a year of trying to make the Sailtimer Windinstrument going. With no luck. First unit never worked and the second one (the new RB Model) stopped working after just three weeks.
I am cruising offshore, I need a reliable wind instrument and a company standing behind their product and not against their customers. Anyone considering the Sailtimer instrument. Do your research before you buy. Researchn in product quality and customer satisfaction I mean.

I had looked into LCJ Capteurs first but then (stupid me) got swayed by the colourful word of the Sailtimer folks. If I had done proper research I could have avoided that.

Anyhow, its too late for that. I am giving away my two Sailtimer instruments if anyone wants one. An old and a new one. Both not working of course.

And now I am torn if I should dive into LCJ Capteurs, or pick up a used ST60 or buy a new one.

Anyone have practical experience with the Calypso instruments ?
Old 06-02-2020, 09:13   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

So as a follow up to previoust posts, I did install the LJ Capteurs sensor last summer and used it for a fail few thousands of miles of sailing.

I'm very pleased with it so far. It seems noticeably more accurate and consistent than the WSO100. So far no problems at all with it, knock on wood.

The WAY I installed it was to cut off the long four-conductor mast cable and mount the N2K adapter close to the sensor, then connect to the existing N2K cable in the mast which had been used by the WSO100. So far working fine. But next time the mast is down I will consider reinstating the lighter four-conductor mast cable, which I saved, and connect to N2K below decks.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:20   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ews View Post
I have been devastated by having to go through a year of trying to make the Sailtimer Windinstrument going. With no luck. First unit never worked and the second one (the new RB Model) stopped working after just three weeks.
I am cruising offshore, I need a reliable wind instrument and a company standing behind their product and not against their customers. Anyone considering the Sailtimer instrument. Do your research before you buy. Researchn in product quality and customer satisfaction I mean.

I had looked into LCJ Capteurs first but then (stupid me) got swayed by the colourful word of the Sailtimer folks. If I had done proper research I could have avoided that.

Anyhow, its too late for that. I am giving away my two Sailtimer instruments if anyone wants one. An old and a new one. Both not working of course.

And now I am torn if I should dive into LCJ Capteurs, or pick up a used ST60 or buy a new one.

Anyone have practical experience with the Calypso instruments ?

If you want to avoid hassle you should not choose a wind sensor that is new to the market.
I have used LCJ Capteurs' CV7-C since 2014 on my yacht and the sensor has performed quite well. In a single sensor setup (without a reference) it is always difficult to judge performance, but the unit I have has been both trustworthy and consistent throughout these years. The CV7-C has performed well also in rainy conditions, which generally is considered a challenge for ultrasonic wind sensors.
Old 06-02-2020, 20:25   #39
ews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisseH View Post
If you want to avoid hassle you should not choose a wind sensor that is new to the market.
I have used LCJ Capteurs' CV7-C since 2014 on my yacht and the sensor has performed quite well. In a single sensor setup (without a reference) it is always difficult to judge performance, but the unit I have has been both trustworthy and consistent throughout these years. The CV7-C has performed well also in rainy conditions, which generally is considered a challenge for ultrasonic wind sensors.
I understand you use the "C" model which is updating the data more often (4 Hz if I am correct) than just the standard CV7. Do you think the higher update rate is necessary ?

I'll do a bit more research. I have really been burned by jumping into the Sailtimer project. There's not much feedback yet on the other wireless product from Spain so as tempted as I am I'll avoid a repeat of my experience. So it will be a LCJ or a traditional one. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-02-2020, 20:50   #40

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

I puzzled over the same question on the update rate.

No, IMO you don't need the faster update. There is already an "averaging" sample in place with the CV-7. The sensor already responds faster than you can process and react.
Old 06-02-2020, 21:31   #41
ews

thanks, that makes sense. I just gotta figure out on the logistics here. Importing boat parts into the Philippines is expensive.
Old 06-02-2020, 22:52   #42

Quote:
I understand you use the "C" model which is updating the data more often (4 Hz if I am correct) than just the standard CV7. Do you think the higher update rate is necessary ?

I'll do a bit more research. I have really been burned by jumping into the Sailtimer project. There's not much feedback yet on the other wireless product from Spain so as tempted as I am I'll avoid a repeat of my experience. So it will be a LCJ or a traditional one. Thanks for your input.

The need for a fast update rate depends on for what the wind sensor is used. For normal cruising you don't need a 4Hz update rate. I use my sensor as a component in my SeaMODE Speed Lab system where I log the wind and other parameters during sailboat racing (and often also when cruising). For this I have even changed the internal smoothing in my CV7-C from 2 seconds to 1 second. This increases noise, but improves response time which is important when compensating the wind measurement for the effect of momentary heeling and other boat motions. In racing this is important otherwise you cannot use the wind data for calculating trustworthy numbers on True Wind and Target Boat Speed. In fact I would actually prefer an even faster wind sensor, but those are unfortunately more expensive and the professional ones also bulkier.

But for most boaters the 2 second smoothing an 2Hz update rate is just fine.
Old 06-02-2020, 22:58   #43
ews

Quote:
The need for a fast update rate depends on for what the wind sensor is used. For normal cruising you don't need a 4Hz update rate. I use my sensor as a component in my SeaMODE Speed Lab system where I log the wind and other parameters during sailboat racing (and often also when cruising). For this I have even changed the internal smoothing in my CV7-C from 2 seconds to 1 second. This increases noise, but improves response time which is important when compensating the wind measurement for the effect of momentary heeling and other boat motions. In racing this is important otherwise you cannot use the wind data for calculating trustworthy numbers on True Wind and Target Boat Speed. In fact I would actually prefer an even faster wind sensor, but those are unfortunately more expensive and the professional ones also bulkier.

Thanks for the clarification. May I ask how you'd rate product quality and customer service of the LCJ product?
ews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 23:20   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

Terve, ChrisseH. So you're using a CV7 for racing? How does it compare to mechanical sensors made for racing? Since the great majority of racers are still using mechanical ones, I had the impression that the mechanical ones are still more accurate.

I've been using ultrasonic wind sensors for many years, first a WSO100 which was not very accurate and not reliable, now a CV7. It seems to be quite accurate but I am still gaining experience with it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 00:59   #45

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. May I ask how you'd rate product quality and customer service of the LCJ product?

I have been happy with the product. I have also a few friends that are using the same sensor and also they have been happy with their units. Also the feedback on different forums has generally been positive.

Regarding after sales support I think it depends very much on the local distributor. I guess most distributors would anyhow send the unit to LCJ Capteurs in France for repair. Before selecting wind sensor I actually communicated directly (in English) with the manufacturer and got always prompt and clear replies. However, as their business has been growing, I guess that they today probably prefer end customers to communicate with the distributors. But I am quite sure they would reply directly in case of any serious quality concern.

Tags
wind