Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 15:21   #31

Re: What speakers should i get for my sailboat?

Generally my cockpit speakers are for when I'm motoring, and away from others. Under sail I prefer silence, and at anchor or in the slip I use the inside ones and spare everyone the drivel I listen to. (if you are familiar with the Ricky Gervais show, you'll know exactly what I mean)

Last weekend I motored for 3 hours from Coyote Point to Alameda, and there's a whole lot of nothing in between. Sure was nice to be able to listen to Car Talk! Sure beats the racket from a Universal 3-cylinder diesel.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 15:24   #32

But I really want a battery for fans and such. Not a boat battery, a cheap battery that will run fans, may be a tv and gaming console as well. Is there a battery for that? I know how to wire it if I can find a battery.
jbsdrumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 15:28   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsdrumboy View Post
But I really want a battery for fans and such. Not a boat battery, a cheap battery that will run fans, may be a tv and gaming console as well. Is there a battery for that? I know how to wire it if I can find a battery.
Might not be a bad idea to start with a battery that can run your bilge pump. And that "radio thingy" that came with the boat. Chances are that one you learn how to sail you'll outgrow the gaming console pretty fast. Maybe even the television.
Old 12-07-2013, 19:57   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Is there a battery out there that will basically power a stereo and fans without draining to fast?"

I think it was a Looney Tunes cartoon doing a sendup of the dutch boy trying to plug the dike. If you try to solve this one piece at a time, you're going to wind up playing Twister, on the holes in the dike.

Get one of the inexpensive books on 12v electrics (or spend hours longer chasing aorunf on the web) because you need to size and match the charging system, the battery(s), and the loads in order to avoid unpleasant expenses or surprises.

A battery that lasts longer? Sure, some types but mainly "How big can you afford to buy or carry?" except that also means you need to put more energy back into it, which means the charging system upgrade. Catch-22, if you don't plan for the entire system, you'll wind up redoing it more than once, or cursing each time the battery dies.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 21:23   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
You should get really quiet speakers that can't be heard from other boats at the anchorage.
There is an old musicians adage that says, "All music is good except for the music next door!"
'Nuf said.
We WISH 'nuf said! It seems to be a rule, that the crappier the music, the louder the neighbors want to play it.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote