Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2015, 11:24   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS
What is a 2-pin round DC power connector useful for?

I have one of these 2-prong DC connectors in my cockpit. Is there any way I can get an adapter to plug useful stuff into it (like modern tablets) or is this type of power connection very much obsolete?

Presumably it was once used for some kind of GPS device.

It looks exactly like this:
Plug & Socket 2 Pin 2/3 Amp - Boat Electricals

Except I don't have the cap with the male prongs, just have the female pronged socket.

Wikipedia has some male-to-male adapter images in the first picture on this page:
DC connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently they're also called coaxial power connectors (but when I google for that I get a lot of incompatible coaxial cables like those used for TV video and such).

On Amazon I found a male USB to female coaxial DC power connector:
Amazon.com: StarTech.com USB2TYPEM 3 Feet USB to Type M Barrel 5V DC Power Cable: Electronics

Maybe that would work? But I would still need a 2-pin male to coaxial male.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:03   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: What is a 2-pin round DC power connector useful for?

Just get rid of it and put in a standard 12v power outlet. No need to mess around with fragile and expensive adapters that you'll always be mislaying or running out of.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:05   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

The problem is two-fold; connecting to your outlet and getting the right voltage for your devices. If your devices are USB then they'll need 5V instead of 12V.

For the second part, any 12V car adapter will do. But most of these expect a cigarette lighter for power. You could easily build an adapter from your socket to cigarette lighter, but you lose the water resistance. If you want to get a little more extravagant you could get a fully potted charger like this one (DC-DC Converter Module 12V To 5V, 5V 3A Duble USB Output Power Adapter 15W) and wire it into your adapter (not a recommendation for a particular unit, just an example of non-cigarette lighter 12-5V charger for USB).
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:10   #4

That is an older power plug for something like an Autohelm auto pilot, or radar. I have 2, 1 each for Auto pilot, and radar.
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:13   #5

Since it is in the cockpit, if you replace it with a standard cigarette lighter, I would get one made for use on a motorcycle, or specifically for use on a boat. These will usually be better sealed, and have a water resistant cap. If it is somewhere that it is really exposed to splashing, then you want it to be really water-proof.

Good luck.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:17   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

As poorly designed as these things are for a power socket, the suggestion to install a standard cigarette lighter socket instead of what you have makes the most sense because it is a "standard". Many devices come with plugs to plug into these sockets.

If it is at all exposed to the weather, you'll do best to go to a marine store and get one that's made for use on a boat and has a cover.

If changing the socket stumps you, get some help. The center conductor should be the positive, the outside, the negative.
Old 10-04-2015, 16:11   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

As others have said - replace it with a good waterproofed "cigarette lighter" type socket with a cap. I just did exactly that in my cockpit.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 16:20   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Good points, probably should just replace it. But I don't actually have a need for aux power in the cockpit currently, so I was mostly thinking about it as a low priority, low-effort (ie, not another project to add to the list) if I wanted to charge a tablet that I'm using for backup nav.

And I was curious what these kinds of 2-prong power outlets were ever used for. (did a cf search but didn't find much). And whether they were ever general purpose outlets or were always a very custom, device-specific power source. Sounds like it's an old obsolete standard that was never general purpose.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 16:31   #9

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Actually the 2 pin socket is far superior to any cigarette plug/socket I have ever seen in my experience.

They just aren't compatible with many items unless you buy extra plugs and you replace the clips or cigarette type plug on the add on equipment.

I have owned several boats with them installed and liked them so much I have bought more. Every cigarette plug/socket has been removed and been replaced with something superior.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 19:30   #10

the were often used for hand held spot lights. before battery powered ones were bright.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 19:32   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Easy to build an adaptor if you don't want to replace. I have a few that I use for things with cigarette lighter style connectors, but most stuff Ive swapped to 2 pin...its a better connector which is more secure, water resistant, and less prone to corrode.

Careful with the metal housing versions as they can short to the housing if the wiring is poorly installed or gets worn/damaged.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:34   #12

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Electrical Connector Waterproof Ch Plate Brass
Old 11-04-2015, 07:39   #13

Boat: EndeavorCat MkII 30

Our 1989 Hunter came with an adapter that has 3 cigarette lighter sockets on one end and the two prong on the other. I do not know if it was original or from a PO. We use it in the cockpit, but added usb adapters in the cigarette lighter sockets..
rthompsona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:42   #14

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Actually the 2 pin socket is far superior to any cigarette plug/socket I have ever seen in my experience.

They just aren't compatible with many items unless you buy extra plugs and you replace the clips or cigarette type plug on the add on equipment.

I have owned several boats with them installed and liked them so much I have bought more. Every cigarette plug/socket has been removed and been replaced with something superior.
+1 And the plugs are still readily available.

e.g. https://whitworths.com.au/main_itemd...AbsolutePage=1
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:52   #15

Boat: ODAY 28

I also have seen this type of connector used for removable cockpit speakers. as well as other apps. think it makes a better connection
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote