Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2017, 11:30   #16
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Weather info on Atlantic voyage

John,
Your posts are so long that it's hard to actually answer them. Over the many years here I've seen these same posts and I'm sure that for many years in the future you will continue to post them. Fair enough, but I'll also post that investing in an SSB system instead of a Sat based system is, IMO, crazy.

When I graduated high school my father bought me a typewriter. He used one every day and at that time, we didn't really have PC's. But within two years, that typewriter was basically obsolete, replaced by dot matrix printers. I kept it for quite some time until finally looking at it and saying, why would I ever use this when a word processing program and printer is much better, so I tossed it. Now, I still like to print things so I have a nice multi-function printer/scanner/fax unit on my desk. We almost never fax any more, and print less and less every day. My children don't even think about printers as they are well beyond that, sending pdf's everywhere. My Dad, at 84, still has his typewriter, though it's seldom used. Some people can't give up the technology they relied on in their day, others easily move on. It's that way with the SSB vs Sat Com discussion.

If you claim there are 1000's of sailors using SSB daily, I can't refute that because there is no proof. But if there are, then there must be 1,000,000 sat phones being used daily. You want to use your SSB to communicate with someone you may have never met that's 10,000 miles away, I just want to call my wife. You want to connect up to some site, download a grib file, print it on thermal paper, and study it hard. I want to drag a region of the earth on a program like Predictwind or Zygrib and let it analyze it. If I need to study a weather forecast, I can do it right on my tablet screen. Both systems work, but again, IMO one is a dinosaur and one is current technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Palarran,
1) You wrote your opinion here, and we assume this is based on your personal (frustrating??) experiences with a modern MF/HF-DSC-SSB Radiotelephone??? My boat had a complete system including a weatherfax when I purchased it. It was the first thing I removed and ended giving it to a forum member for free. So no, I've never used one but am familiar with them.
And, as such, I will not argue with you, as everyone is entitled to their opinions and Ludo wrote "experience sharing would be appreciated"...

But, I hope you don't mind if I voice my strong opinion in direct opposition, based on both my personal experiences and on the daily use of the GMDSS by 1000's of mariners, every day! Any proof of this statement?

For long-range sailing, ocean crossings, etc., there is little argument that a properly installed and working MF/HF-DSC-SSB Radiotelephone is still a vital part of both communications (safety and routine) and weather dissemination... Seriously, you know there is a major argument for the use of this. If it's so "vital" how come when ordering new boat's is it not already installed?
These are far from "dinosaur", as they are used by 1000's of mariners at sea, ever day...and with WeFax charts (true synoptic weather charts) being considered the "gold standard" of offshore weather, I cannot understand how/why you'd come to such a radical opinion?? Radical? Do you know what that word means?
(please see my post above for the details)

MF/HF-DSC-SSB Radiotelephone is a vital part of the GMDSS, as are VHF-DSC-FM, EPIRB's, NAVTEX, INMARSAT-C, etc...
And, synoptic chart dissemination via HF-WeFax is still used by a large majority of commercial offshore mariners everyday...(the figure from the 2012 WMO survey was ~ 85%!!)
BUT....
But, what I think is the biggest red herring here is the all-too-common mis-understanding of the question and applications....

This is a discussion about obtaining weather info "on an Atlantic voyage", which I interpret as "how to access weather forecasts, when at sea / offshore, on an Atlantic passage"....
{everyone knows how to access this info on-line / via internet, when on-shore or in port....most will use a good external Wi-Fi system and/or a cellular/3G/4G connection on-board, when in port or in coastal areas....and whether you use the US NWS/NOAA Marine Weather page ( http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/home.htm ) as your starting point, or some other....you will find all the marine weather info you need in a few clicks of the mouse....but, when offshore and away from the internet, Ludo was asking how/where do you get this info/forecasts...} You do know that Sat phone systems do this quite well right. I mean, you've read past threads.

Further, it seems that you (and many times, many others) conflate these discussions into a "SSB vs. Sat phone" argument, which is quite odd (and totally disingenuous) as these systems/devices do two completely different things!!! Obvious, so the comment is worthless
"SSB" is a broadcast system (one-to-everyone) and "sat phone" is a one-to-one system....(and trying to use a sat phone in heavy weather and/or for safety comms, is fraught with issues or disaster!) Funny, and yet this is exactly why so many people buy them. How do you use your SSB on your life raft or when your boat is flooded?
Many sailors conflate these systems as they are thinking of "data comms", i.e. how can I cheaply obtain some data comms, for e-mail, etc.???
That discussion (which is NOT what this thread is about) is actually NOT about "SSB" at all, but rather is a "PACTOR modem" vs. "Sat Phone" discussion....and while the experiences and opinions are split, it's still a majority that come down on the side of PACTOR.... I absolutely have to disagree. There is no way that a majority of todays long distance sailors choose SSB and PACTOR modems over Satellite communications. Simply search "satellite phone" and "SSB" and check out the number of vendors. If sailors were buying them there'd be more companies selling them.

And, finally, as none of us know what budget Ludo has for his communications equipment, let alone for his weather receiving equipment, it seems to me (in my opinion) slightly disingenuous for someone sailing a large and expensive vessel as Palarran does, to blithely suggest purchasing sat comm gear and then paying a subscription for service, to obtain weather info that is provided for free elsewhere, and for most sailors using sat comm gear (using the raw computer model data in GRIB's), the actual synoptic charts from WeFax prove far superior!! It's $1000 for a complete system. Pactor modems alone are $2000. Look up a Sat phone plan cost - they are pretty reasonable now.

Now, as I wrote right up front, we are all entitled to our opinions....and I have now voiced mine....
(and, I suspect that while Palarran will disagree with mine, it's very possible that you've misunderstood and conflated the questions and applications here....as this isn't a discussion regarding data comms, but rather how to get good weather info at sea / on passage)

2) Ludo, please read my earlier post (post #14) as well as what I write immediately above here....and, please understand three very important things...
a) Sat comm when at sea (especially in heavy weather) is problematic unless you spend a good deal of money....yes, the IridiumGO is a nice product and Iridium is a great company, but to forego a working MF/HF-DSC-SSB radio and think the IridiumGO is a "replacement" is a serious mistake, as they do 2 completely different things!! How so? They both communicate and both are capable of getting weather forcasts. Also, there have been many posts about problems with SSB communications here on the forum and not very many where Sat phones failed. This is a hugely prejudiced statement on your part.
b) HF-WeFax is free, it is easily received by even a simple $100 portable radio (or your IC-7000), for free...and will give you the "gold standard" of offshore weather info/forecasts...
c) E-mail connectivity is NOT needed to obtain reliable and accurate weather info/forecasts at sea, offshore...
And, most sailors actually find no need for e-mail at sea, instead simply forego e-mail for the few days to a couple weeks that they are on passage...

Fair winds...

John
Old 10-01-2017, 11:41   #17

Hello All,

My 2 cents worth...

I own a satellite communications company and therefore have 7 satellite systems on my boat... So you can imagine were I sit on the topic of having reliable satellite communication...

BUT... i just purchased an icom 802/AT-140 for my boa!. Not because I wanted to do email or weather on it...but because its good for my social life.

So its not an either or... its a both and...

Our recommendation is that you have a satellite phone for voice calls home, sms, weather, and email. And you have an SSB to participate in the nets, stay in touch with other boats, and in a situation where your satellite system does not work (forgot to pay the airtime bill) you have a viable backup.

satellite first... SSB second...

Take care.

--luis
lsoltero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:52   #18

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I think there is a third option which has become available. A Delorme Inreach system allows two way text messaging, as well as vessel tracking for a lot less money. If I was going offshore on a boat with no comms, I would set up a program with a friend or family to do the daily weather research on the internet and give me a Delorme text with weather and routing guidance. Delorme has either annual or monthly rates for various levels of service.

This may date me, but my Canaries-Caribbean passages i checked in daily with Herb's Southbound II SSB net and got his predictions and advice for my situation and/or boats around me.

Its one thing to read a grib file or wefax, and another to hear Herb telling a boat to stop or turn around because they are standing into danger. I was listening when two boats ignored his advice and were lost with all hands in the Bermuda triangle.

I think there is a forum member who provides weather routing services via email. I wonder if he has also done it through the Delorme system.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 13:00   #19

Boat: Catalina 470

Palarran,
1) My apologies to all, for turning this into a long-winded discussion....not my intention...

2) FYI...what in the world would make you think that I'm stuck in the past, or that I somehow dislike sat comm??? (couldn't be further from the truth!)

3) Some things you may wish to know, that you seem to have assumed otherwise...
a) I'm a really big fan of Iridium....my brother (retired senior test engineer from Motorola) and I (sat comm engineer and consultant) were some of their beta-testers, before commercial roll-out in the late 90's, about 20 years ago!
{And, when the boys in NJ bought the whole damn thing for $25 million, I cheered and hooted for joy!!}
b) I've made my living in satellite communications industry now for 34 years....over the past 20 some years specializing in commercial sat comm...(okay I got in late, but heck I was in high-school and college when the true pioneers of sat comm were at it....Western Union, GTE, RCA Americom....and my late friend Walt Maxwell, etc...)
c) I love satellite communications....love the idea, love the concept, and love the results....satellite communications is what I grew up with, and it is my contemporary, not HF radio...(HF radio is a hobby, and I perform public service work there, as well as free educational seminars, etc....for sat comm, I charge a LOT for my consulting services, not something I give away for free on Cruiser's Forum...
d) MF/HF-DSC is newer / more modern than Iridium....take a look at the ages of the systems, and you'll see...
{yes, this weekend's launch of the first 10 Iridium NEXT sats, could bring us something new....but we are talking about what is available this year and being used today...}
e) I never said sat comm was bad, but rather than HF comms do work well, and are part of the GMDSS (unlike Iridium, nor Isatphones, etc. etc.)
Sat comm and HF radio do two completely different things!!! (they are complimentary, not competing!!)

I really don't wish to drag this out into an argument, but I would like you to have the facts about me, my life, my industry (sat comm), etc., before making assumptions otherwise....

4) And, Palarran, you stated your opinion fairly succinctly in your earlier post, and I stated mine...
Not sure what the big deal is, nor why you have somehow tried to state that I'm stuck in the past???
But, oh well....I've set you straight on how great I think sat comm is...

Sat comm just doesn't do what HF radio does....it isn't designed to, and probably never will at any reasonable cost....they are two COMPLIMENTARY systems, not competing systems....they do not replace each other, but rather do two completely different things...
This is the fact that I was trying to make sure that everyone understood, unfortunately, I was not successful...

5) But, I would like to correct something that you seem to have misrepresented...
It is not me claiming, but rather the official WMO/Jcomm survey from 2012/2013 that the results come from...
I wrote that HF communications (particularly MF/HF-DSC and HF-WeFax) was being used daily by 1000's of mariners daily, and this is true....backed up by the official WMO/JComm survey from 2012/2013....
Nowhere did I write that 1000's of sailors were using HF communications daily...
{Although, if I added up all the check-ins of the various HF cruising nets (ham and maritime) along with all of those using Sailmail and/or Winlink, I suspect the number would be over 1000, daily....not "1000's", but certainly more sailors than use sat comm on a daily basis....yes, with the lower-cost options, such as IridiumGO, the numbers using them will certainly go up, but this is a moot point, since this was not what I wrote, nor what I was referring to...}

Ocean mariners, those on SOLAS vessels, as well as offshore commercial fishing, etc., these are the majority of mariners that the survey contacted...although I participated as well, I think pleasure-boat sailors made up less than 1% of the respondents...(that exact figure I don't have, but it is small...)

6) Further, where on earth have I ever wrote anything about recommending anyone "download a GRIB"???
I think you have me mixed up with someone else, sir...
I actually advocate against using raw computer model data / GRIB's, etc...and I have consistently mentioned the waste of money/time/effort that some sailors have done just to have e-mail connectivity when at sea...
99% of the cruisers / sailors, I meet (myself included) find no need for email connectivity when at sea....

Now, if you wish to pick up the phone and call home, then this is a fine application for Iridium (or sat comm in general), but that is not what this discussion was about...

Again, I really think you may have confused me with someone else...

Finally, sorry again if me voicing a learned, experienced, opinion on HF radio doesn't agree with your opinion....but, that is life...

I do wish you fair winds, and I REALLY hope that Ludo (the original poster here) can wade through the amass of drift that we have managed to post, and actually understand that HF radio does work, does work well...whether some of us have differing opinions on it, or not...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 17:14   #20

John,
I'm not confusing you with someone else, that's not possible. If you read your first post, you promote one solution and that is is the only solution. It's not, it's your "learned, experienced, opinion". Your second post was directed at me and was solely meant to refute My Opinion.

It's interesting in reading the most recent threads today. There is one about a short wave service being discontinued in the South Pacific. I looked at the petition and found a link to this article. A part of it is quoted:

The ABC announced the end to its shortwave service, including in the Northern Territory, was “in line with the national broadcaster’s commitment to dispense with outdated technology and to expand its digital content offerings including DAB+ digital radio, online and mobile services, together with FM services for international audiences.”

“An ever-growing number of people in the region now have access to mobile phones with FM receivers and the ABC will redirect funds towards an extended content offering and a robust FM distribution network to better serve audiences into the future,” said head of ABC International Lynley Marshall, who will oversee the last shortwave transmission before she leaves the national broadcaster in February.

ABC director of radio Michael Mason added, “while shortwave technology has served audiences well for many decades, it is now nearly a century old and serves a very limited audience”.

I'm not promoting the discontinuance. I just think Short wave and SSB are pretty similar and agree with the last sentence.
Old 10-01-2017, 19:15   #21

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
John,
I'm not confusing you with someone else, that's not possible. If you read your first post, you promote one solution and that is is the only solution. It's not, it's your "learned, experienced, opinion". Your second post was directed at me and was solely meant to refute My Opinion.

It's interesting in reading the most recent threads today. There is one about a short wave service being discontinued in the South Pacific. I looked at the petition and found a link to this article. A part of it is quoted:

The ABC announced the end to its shortwave service, including in the Northern Territory, was “in line with the national broadcaster’s commitment to dispense with outdated technology and to expand its digital content offerings including DAB+ digital radio, online and mobile services, together with FM services for international audiences.”

“An ever-growing number of people in the region now have access to mobile phones with FM receivers and the ABC will redirect funds towards an extended content offering and a robust FM distribution network to better serve audiences into the future,” said head of ABC International Lynley Marshall, who will oversee the last shortwave transmission before she leaves the national broadcaster in February.

ABC director of radio Michael Mason added, “while shortwave technology has served audiences well for many decades, it is now nearly a century old and serves a very limited audience”.

I'm not promoting the discontinuance. I just think Short wave and SSB are pretty similar and agree with the last sentence.
We see what we want to see I guess....

You should read up a bit more ... especially on the head of the ABC... a woman with no knowledge of radio who admits she has no idea how many people listen to Radio Australia and could care less.

An ex Murdoch / News Corp lawyer whose first move was to employ another ex News corp employee as her strategist.

Given a free hand she would shut down the entire ABC, ... AM..FM..and TV.

I hope you signed the petition , I will be very disappointed if you say you didn't.

As a friend who lives in the islands says
'Fiji and Tonga tightly control the importation of SW receivers.

Yes, there is now the internet, but it doesn't exist for those (1) living in rural areas and (2) the less well off.

Which is a significant portion of the population.... '

China doesn't think SW is irelevant

This is just CRI's English schedule.. they also broadcast in about 20 other languages...

Freq
Freq ▼
Station
Station
Start
Start ◆
End
End
Days
Days
Language
Language ◆
Pwr
Pwr
Az
Az
Transmitter Site
Transmitter Site
Remarks
Remarks ◆
Your search produced 150 results and took 0.412 Seconds. Database dated 20 Dec 16.
5915 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 22:00 22:57 1234567 English 150 95 CHNBeijing
5915 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 23:00 23:57 1234567 English 100 174 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
5955 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 10:00 10:57 1234567 English 500 73 CHNXian
5955 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 11:00 13:00 1234567 English 150 95 CHNBeijing
5955 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 13:00 14:00 1234567 English 150 95 CHNBeijing
5955 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 14:00 15:00 1234567 English 150 95 CHNBeijing
5955 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 15:00 15:57 1234567 English 150 95 CHNBeijing
5960 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 20:00 22:00 1234567 English 150 310 ALBCerrik
5985 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 20:00 20:57 1234567 English 500 257 CHNBeijing
5990 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 23:00 00:00 1234567 English 250 ND CUBLa Habana
6020 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 00:00 02:00 1234567 English 300 305 ALBCerrik
6060 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 16:00 16:57 1234567 English 150 163 CHNKunming
6075 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 00:00 01:57 1234567 English 100 174 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
6090 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 17:00 17:57 1234567 English 150 163 CHNKunming
6095 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 15:00 15:57 1234567 English 500 269 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
6100 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 17:00 18:00 1234567 English 500 318 CHNBeijing
6100 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 18:00 19:00 1234567 English 500 318 CHNBeijing
6140 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 17:00 17:57 1234567 English 100 173 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
6145 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 23:00 23:57 1234567 English 150 95 CHNBeijing
6165 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 17:00 17:57 1234567 English 500 288 CHNBeijing
6175 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 16:00 17:00 1234567 English 100 200 CHNNanning
6175 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 17:00 18:00 1234567 English 100 200 CHNNanning
6180 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 00:00 01:57 1234567 English 100 173 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
7205 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 21:00 21:57 1234567 English 500 252 CHNXian
7215 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 10:00 10:57 1234567 English 500 354 CHNXian
7220 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 05:00 06:00 1234567 English 150 140 ALBCerrik
7235 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 16:00 17:57 1234567 English 100 173 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
7250 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 11:00 12:57 1234567 English 100 209 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
7255 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 16:00 17:00 1234567 English 500 294 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
7255 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 17:00 17:57 1234567 English 500 294 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
7285 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 20:00 21:00 1234567 English 150 310 ALBCerrik
7285 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 21:00 21:57 1234567 English 150 310 ALBCerrik
7295 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 19:00 20:57 1234567 English 500 269 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
7300 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 13:00 13:57 1234567 English 100 209 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
7300 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 14:00 14:57 1234567 English 500 212 TKSUrumqi
7325 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 15:00 15:57 1234567 English 500 193 CHNBeijing
7325 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 21:00 21:57 1234567 English 500 257 CHNBeijing
7350 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 23:00 02:00 1234567 English 500 308 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
7370 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 01:00 01:57 1234567 English 100 174 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
7395 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 15:00 15:57 1234567 English 500 212 TKSUrumqi
7405 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 18:00 18:57 1234567 English 500 318 CHNBeijing
7410 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 17:00 17:57 1234567 English 100 174 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
7410 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 23:00 23:57 1234567 English 100 174 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
7415 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 20:00 22:00 1234567 English 500 308 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
7420 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 16:00 16:57 1234567 English 500 270 TKSUrumqi
7420 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 17:00 17:57 1234567 English 150 191 CHNKunming
7425 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 00:00 00:57 1234567 English 100 174 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
7435 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 16:00 17:00 1234567 English 500 255 CHNJinhua 831
7435 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 17:00 17:57 1234567 English 500 255 CHNJinhua 831
9415 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 08:00 09:00 1234567 English 500 73 CHNXian
9415 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 09:00 09:57 1234567 English 500 73 CHNXian
9425 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 00:00 00:57 1234567 English 150 95 CHNBeijing
9435 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 15:00 15:57 1234567 English 500 298 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
9435 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 16:00 16:57 1234567 English 500 308 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
9440 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 19:00 19:57 1234567 English 500 283 CHNKunming =9865
9440 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 20:00 20:57 1234567 English 500 300 CHNKunming
9460 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 12:00 12:57 1234567 English 100 174 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
9460 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 14:00 14:57 1234567 English 500 212 TKSUrumqi
9525 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 15:00 15:57 1234567 English 500 308 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
9535 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 23:00 00:00 1234567 English 100 122 CHNKunming
9570 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 00:00 02:00 1234567 English 300 305 ALBCerrik
9570 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 13:00 13:57 1234567 English 250 10 CUBLa Habana
9570 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 16:00 17:00 1234567 English 500 257 CHNBeijing
9570 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 17:00 17:57 1234567 English 500 257 CHNBeijing
9580 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 01:00 01:57 1234567 English 250 10 CUBLa Habana
9600 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 12:00 12:57 1234567 English 150 163 CHNKunming
9600 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 20:00 21:00 1234567 English 500 308 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
9600 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 21:00 21:57 1234567 English 500 308 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
9610 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 02:00 02:57 1234567 English 100 174 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
9645 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 12:00 12:57 1234567 English 500 215 CHNBeijing
9655 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 13:00 13:57 1234567 English 100 174 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
9675 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 01:00 02:00 1234567 English 500 308 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
9720 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 15:00 16:00 1234567 English 500 270 TKSUrumqi
9730 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 12:00 12:57 1234567 English 100 225 CHNKunming
9730 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 13:00 13:57 1234567 English 500 193 CHNBeijing
9760 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 12:00 12:57 1234567 English 500 135 CHNKunming
9765 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 13:00 15:00 1234567 English 150 288 CHNBaoji-Xinjie
9785 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 15:00 15:57 1234567 English 500 280 CHNJinhua 831
9790 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 03:00 04:00 1234567 English 250 305 CUBLa Habana
9795 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 14:00 14:57 1234567 English 500 308 TKSUrumqi
9870 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 13:00 15:57 1234567 English 500 200 CHNXian
9875 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 16:00 16:57 1234567 English 500 298 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
9880 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 15:00 18:00 1234567 English 100 200 CHNNanning
11635 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 10:00 10:57 1234567 English 500 318 CHNBeijing
11640 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 20:00 21:00 1234567 English 100 111 MLIBamako II
11640 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 21:00 21:30 1234567 English 100 111 MLIBamako II
11650 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 11:00 12:57 1234567 English 500 212 TKSUrumqi
11665 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 14:00 14:57 1234567 English 500 270 TKSUrumqi
11690 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 12:00 12:57 1234567 English 500 292 CHNXian
11750 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 06:00 07:00 1234567 English 150 140 ALBCerrik
11760 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 12:00 13:00 1234567 English 500 135 CHNKunming
11760 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 13:00 13:57 1234567 English 500 135 CHNKunming
11770 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 02:00 03:57 1234567 English 100 174 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
11785 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 07:00 09:00 1234567 English 150 310 ALBCerrik
11790 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 00:00 00:57 1234567 English 500 190 CHNXian
11790 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 23:00 00:00 1234567 English 500 190 CHNXian
11795 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 11:00 11:57 1234567 English 100 174 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
11870 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 06:00 07:00 1234567 English 100 239 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
11885 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 00:00 01:57 1234567 English 500 200 CHNXian
11895 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 05:00 09:00 1234567 English 100 209 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
11900 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 13:00 13:57 1234567 English 500 135 CHNKunming
11910 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 13:00 13:57 1234567 English 500 138 CHNBeijing
11980 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 12:00 13:00 1234567 English 150 177 CHNKunming
11980 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 13:00 13:57 1234567 English 150 177 CHNKunming
12015 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 11:00 12:57 1234567 English 100 173 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
13570 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 03:00 04:00 1234567 English 500 354 CHNXian
13570 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 04:00 05:00 1234567 English 500 354 CHNXian
13590 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 03:00 04:00 1234567 English 150 95 CHNBeijing
13590 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 04:00 04:57 1234567 English 150 95 CHNBeijing
13590 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 10:00 12:00 1234567 English 500 193 CHNBeijing
13630 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 20:00 21:00 1234567 English 100 111 MLIBamako II
13630 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 21:00 21:30 1234567 English 100 111 MLIBamako II
13645 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 06:00 07:00 1234567 English 500 200 CHNXian
13660 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 07:00 07:57 1234567 English 500 200 CHNXian
13665 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 11:00 13:00 1234567 English 150 310 ALBCerrik
13670 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 13:00 14:00 1234567 English 500 308 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
13685 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 14:00 15:00 1234567 English 100 111 MLIBamako II
13685 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 15:00 15:57 1234567 English 100 111 MLIBamako II
13710 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 14:00 14:57 1234567 English 500 308 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
13720 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 10:00 11:57 1234567 English 500 200 CHNXian
13790 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 12:00 13:00 1234567 English 500 308 TKSUrumqi
13790 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 13:00 13:57 1234567 English 500 308 TKSUrumqi
13800 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 03:00 03:57 1234567 English 100 174 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
15120 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 03:00 04:00 1234567 English 500 322 CHNBeijing
15120 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 04:00 04:57 1234567 English 500 322 CHNBeijing
15125 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 00:00 01:57 1234567 English 500 215 CHNBeijing
15145 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 06:00 06:57 1234567 English 100 239 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
15185 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 07:00 08:56 1234567 English 100 173 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
15185 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 09:00 09:57 1234567 English 100 173 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
15190 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 10:00 10:57 1234567 English 100 173 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
15210 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 09:00 10:57 1234567 English 500 135 CHNKunming
15350 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 05:00 10:57 1234567 English 100 174 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
15430 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 05:00 06:00 1234567 English 100 173 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
15430 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 06:00 07:00 1234567 English 100 173 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
15465 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 05:00 08:56 1234567 English 100 209 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
15700 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 14:00 15:00 1234567 English 100 305 CUBLa Habana
15700 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 15:00 16:00 1234567 English 100 305 CUBLa Habana
17490 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 07:00 12:57 1234567 English 500 308 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
17510 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 05:00 06:00 1234567 English 100 269 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
17510 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 06:00 06:57 1234567 English 100 269 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
17570 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 09:00 09:57 1234567 English 500 308 TKSUrumqi
17630 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 14:00 15:00 1234567 English 100 85 MLIBamako II
17630 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 15:00 16:00 1234567 English 100 85 MLIBamako II
17650 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 09:00 10:00 1234567 English 500 308 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
17670 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 07:00 09:00 1234567 English 500 269 TKSKashi-Saibagh 2022
17690 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 09:00 11:00 1234567 English 500 150 CHNJinhua 831
17710 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 06:00 07:00 1234567 English 500 193 CHNBeijing
17710 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 07:00 07:57 1234567 English 500 193 CHNBeijing
17730 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 04:00 05:57 1234567 English 500 292 CHNXian
17855 CHINA RADIO INTERNATIONAL 04:00 05:57 1234567 English 500 288 CHNBeijing
Old 10-01-2017, 19:41   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Palarran,
1) My apologies to all, for turning this into a long-winded discussion....not my intention... ...............

6) Further, where on earth have I ever wrote anything about recommending anyone "download a GRIB"???
I think you have me mixed up with someone else, sir...
I actually advocate against using raw computer model data / GRIB's, etc...and I have consistently mentioned the waste of money/time/effort that some sailors have done just to have e-mail connectivity when at sea...
99% of the cruisers / sailors, I meet (myself included) find no need for email connectivity when at sea...........

Again, I really think you may have confused me with someone else...

John
We must move in different circles... I don't keep a record but I would say that less than 10% of the cruisers ( these are real cruisers not dreamers ) I have talked to over recent years have any form of satcomms while about 10% only have VHF.
Of the remainder with HF in its assorted flavours a good two thirds would have sailmail/winlink.

HF Email at sea? No bad thing .. send out position reports ... receive a bit of news from home.. advise customs etc of your impending arrival.. summon up gribs and other wx info.

Gribs are fine if you are aware of what they are and what their shortcomings are.

They are especially useful in areas where there is limited coverage by traditional fax.

The fax service provided by Playa Ancho/Valporaiso is good ( first pic.. not mine.. received in NA by someone )... complementing their product with gribs is a wise and sensible thing to do ( second pic).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chilefax.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	139384   Click image for larger version

Name:	gribbo.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	139385  

Old 10-01-2017, 20:11   #23

El Pinguino,
It would be interesting to know what the 2.8 million saved would buy for this region. Multiply it out over time and it's quite a bit of money so maybe a different system would make long term sense. I have a lot of sympathy for people in situations as this and would absolutely support a cause by either signing a petition or paying my fair share of tax, but I also hate throwing gobs of $$ in a burning trash can.
Old 10-01-2017, 20:28   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
El Pinguino,
It would be interesting to know what the 2.8 million saved would buy for this region. Multiply it out over time and it's quite a bit of money so maybe a different system would make long term sense. I have a lot of sympathy for people in situations as this and would absolutely support a cause by either signing a petition or paying my fair share of tax, but I also hate throwing gobs of $$ in a burning trash can.
Well the $2.8 M Australian would pay the salary of the head of the ABC Michelle Guthrie Michelle Guthrie's bruising first year atop the ABC: 'The way it was done was brutal' for three years ... she is on $900k a year.

She has said the money saved will go towards digital radio services in Tasmania.

Half of the $2.4 goes towards the Radio Australia broadcast services to the Pacific... the other half goes to the ABC's internal HF broadcasts to the Northern Territory and the rest of remote outback Australia... plenty of fuss up there as well I can tell you.

The NT will be left with 2 low power AM stations and a lot of short range FM stations.... but hey... they have satellite TV! Now that will come in handy when a bloke's bringing a big mob of cattle down from the Gulf Country.......

Population of Oz... 24 million .. dived by $2.4 M = 10c per head per year ... about 7c US....
Old 10-01-2017, 22:41   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I think there is a third option which has become available. A Delorme Inreach system allows two way text messaging, as well as vessel tracking for a lot less money. If I was going offshore on a boat with no comms, I would set up a program with a friend or family to do the daily weather research on the internet and give me a Delorme text with weather and routing guidance. Delorme has either annual or monthly rates for various levels of service.
Take a look at SpotCast Weather. You can receive their text message forecasts on an Inreach.

SpotCast Weather
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:29   #26

Boat: Jeanneau Voyage 37 ft

Hi Ludo,

fellow ON-Ham ,

since you already have the Icom IC7000 and probably automatic ATU and a sloping wire or other random length antenna on your boat:

- voltage sensibility of the IC7000 is maybe a bit exagerated.. I used a Yeasu FT897 before (for voice comm) but now also have an IC7000 because of its super compact size. I am thinking about installing the Tiger electronics or MFJ voltage booster. I think the biggest drawback of the IC7000 is it runs quite hot on digital modes at 30-40W because those transmissions are mostly full duty cycle.
- just a a Signalink USB (about € 120) with the right cable for IC7000 and you will be able to:
- email and resuest grib files via Winmor (software solution from Winlink with speeds about equal to Pactor II)
- read Navtex (Frisnit Navtex or MuliPSK or JV Comm)
- receive HF weatherfax (JV Comm, MultiPSK, ...)
- receive HF RTTY weather reports (JV Comm, SeaTTY, ...)

There are also Ham's doing routage via SSB

To find suitable shore stations for Winlink: in Winlink you have the function to chose the best predicted shore base stations according to propagation (though it is only predicted). Function via installing ITSHF together with RMS Express-Winlink (via winlink.org site)

Jan
ON3ZTT
Goudurix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather