Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2020, 09:37   #1

Wanted : Wiring diagram Raymarine EV-400

Does any one have a Wiring diagram Raymarine EV-400 or a picture of how the ACU-400 is wired up ? My p70 isn’t communicating with the ACU-400 it has “no pilot” in red writing on the screen. I cut one of the seatalk ng cables up and there’s a yellow cable that doesn’t match the colour codes next to the connectors for the seatalk in on the ACU.

I read online that this can be caused by software versions being different anyone have any ideas?
Rogsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 11:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Wanted : Wiring diagram Raymarine EV-400

Will any of these help?
https://ca.binnacle.com/pdf/Evolutio...structions.pdf
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1OUjAc4I8S.pdf
https://www.raymarine.com/view/index-id=7690.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 12:09   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

Raymarine SeaTalkNG drop cables do/did contain an extra yellow wire for backward compatibility with original SeaTalk. For a new system red, black, blue, white, and shield (bare wire) should be the five connected wires. The sixth (yellow) wire is only used with legacy SeaTalk systems.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 12:15   #4

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogsails View Post
Does any one have a Wiring diagram Raymarine EV-400 or a picture of how the ACU-400 is wired up ? My p70 isn’t communicating with the ACU-400 it has “no pilot” in red writing on the screen. I cut one of the seatalk ng cables up and there’s a yellow cable that doesn’t match the colour codes next to the connectors for the seatalk in on the ACU.

I read online that this can be caused by software versions being different anyone have any ideas?
Several things.

One of the cables not in quite right?

The guys at Ray told me that if it says no pilot then the system can not see the EV1.

Missing termination at the end of the bus. This will cause the error you are seeing right away.

These are super simple. Connect the components to Ray T connector with a white cable. If you need a couple or several connectors then you connect several T-connectors with a blue cable. YOU MUST have a terminator at each end of the bus
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 12:39   #5

The EV-400 is a STNG device, as is the EV-1 sensor core and p70 control head. For them to communicate properly they must all be connected to a properly powered and terminated STNG backbone, and the EV-400 must be powered up via it's own power cable.

Suggest looking at the network diagnostics screen on the p70 to see what devices it sees on the bus. If the EV-400 is missing but the EV-1 is visible, I'd check power at the EV-400. If the p70 sees no other devices, I'd check it's connection to the bus and also the bus power.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 23:42   #6

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I don't know what you are talking about but is this any help (Now I suppose you'll say you've done all the googling)

No Pilot error message on P70 - Raymarine forum

forum.raymarine.com › showthread

I had an existing Seatalk ng network and EV-100 wheel pilot and those ... Unlike the ACU-200 and ACU-400, the SeaTalkng communications ...May 3, 2017 · 6 posts · ‎2 authors
P70 No pilot error and mode page blank - Raymarine ...
10 posts
23 Nov 2017

[CA11] No drive detected - Raymarine forum
4 posts
5 Feb 2019

[DG11] ACU-400 not detected ('No Pilot' error)
4 posts
1 May 2020

[TG11] No pilot - P70, acu100, ev1 - Raymarine forum
10 posts
17 Mar 2020
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 14:13   #7

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogsails View Post

Yes, you need to update all the hardware connected to your STNG bus to the latest software, which confusingly is different for each item (some may still use older software if there has not been an update for that item) if you don't you can have connectivity issues. Regarding wiring diagrams, I am pretty sure you will find it on the Raymarine support site, you just have to keep digging down till you find the manual or download you need. I have always found what I needed on there eventually, even if I have had to phone Raymarine and ask them occasionally. They are usually very helpful, In UK at least. As another point of interest, NMEA, the body that supervises and produces the NMEA protocols, has advised all manufacturers (including Raymarine, since STNG is effectively NMEA2000) that they now no longer recommend daisy chaining instruments using spur cables, since some folk were abusing the system ( they only ever recommended three instruments daisy chained) They now say that all instruments and components must have their own spur off the backbone cable, for that reason, you will not find a second spur socket on the back of the latest instruments.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 14:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
As another point of interest, NMEA, the body that supervises and produces the NMEA protocols, has advised all manufacturers (including Raymarine, since STNG is effectively NMEA2000) that they now no longer recommend daisy chaining instruments using spur cables, since some folk were abusing the system ( they only ever recommended three instruments daisy chained) They now say that all instruments and components must have their own spur off the backbone cable, for that reason, you will not find a second spur socket on the back of the latest instruments.

The NMEA2000 standard never supported daisy chaining. Various manufacturers including Raymarine and Furuno did so and got away with it, but it was never proper topology for a CAN bus.
Old 30-10-2020, 17:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbod View Post
The NMEA2000 standard never supported daisy chaining. Various manufacturers including Raymarine and Furuno did so and got away with it, but it was never proper topology for a CAN bus.
My comment was some information as to why newer instruments from Raymarine only have one spur port. Your comment adds little other than trying to prove oneupmanship.
Old 31-10-2020, 05:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
My comment was some information as to why newer instruments from Raymarine only have one spur port. Your comment adds little other than trying to prove oneupmanship.

Wow, thanks for the feedback Martkimwat. I'm sorry I took the time to learn anything about the N2K standard, it's operation and diagnostics, clearly I should just crawl back in my hole and say nothing to address the factual inaccuracis in your two posts.

The simple reasoning behind manufacturers moving away from multiple daisy-chaining ports and proprietary connectors is that they want to be able to advertise their equipment as "NMEA2000 Certified" and they can't do that if their hardware doesn't conform to the physical interface specifications, even if it is electrically and functionally compatible.
Old 31-10-2020, 06:04   #11

Boat: Southcoast 36

I can't remember exactly but I had something similar once. Different autopilot model but I think the symptom was the same - was not seeing the pilot.

Turned out to be a faulty blue termination plug. Was diagnosed by measuring resistance across the various terminals of the plug. Raymarine support worked through it with me. New plug sorted it. The faulty one looked just fine.

Sorry, Not at home at the moment so don't have access to the email trail that did the process of elimination/measurement. If you have a spare plug or access to one try swapping out. I always carry a spare one now.
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 14:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbod View Post
Wow, thanks for the feedback Martkimwat. I'm sorry I took the time to learn anything about the N2K standard, it's operation and diagnostics, clearly I should just crawl back in my hole and say nothing to address the factual inaccuracis in your two posts.

The simple reasoning behind manufacturers moving away from multiple daisy-chaining ports and proprietary connectors is that they want to be able to advertise their equipment as "NMEA2000 Certified" and they can't do that if their hardware doesn't conform to the physical interface specifications, even if it is electrically and functionally compatible.
You have not added anything practically useful to what I had already said, I simply gave the reason why newer Raymarine equipment will only have one spur port. I did not need to expound on the intricacies of the NMEA organisation. Your 'dick swinging' to try and put some 'shade' on my comment is not appreciated.
Old 31-10-2020, 19:00   #13

Boat: Southcoast 36

Ok, here is the pin out drawings for Seatalkng cables (will be the same for the backbone terminator plug)

https://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=611

You should measure 60 ohms between the CANH and CANL data line pins and measure open circuit between them and the 12V and 0V line pins.

We were getting a resistance between data and power. Raymarine tech said had never seen before but we had it.

New blue backbone terminator and all returned to normal. Might be it. Good luck.
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine, wanted, wiring