Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2016, 22:37   #1

Boat: Cascade 36
Vulcan 5 In Place of a 2nd T41?

What do the masses think about the possibility of substituting a Vulcan 5 in place of a second T41?

I have a T41 mounted by the entryway and I have always kind of planned to have a second T41 placed there eventually as well as one of the wired AP remotes. However they have come out with the Vulcan 5.
It seems like the V5 would put out the same info as a T41 though in a slightly different look/format. The V5 is actually cheaper than the T41 and has the AP control as well as the WIFI functionality. The V5 also currently has a "rebate" offer of free Nautic Insight charts.

What do you think I would be missing by having a V5 in place of a 2nd T41? I definitely like the simple and clean look that the T41 screens present. But that's about the only thing I can currently think I would be missing.

As always, thanks in advance for whatever thoughts you may be able to contribute.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 01:48   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Vulcan 5 In Place of a 2nd T41?

Yetti- this representative of the"masses" is sadly uninformed: WTF is a "Vulcan 5" and also a "T-41"? I gather that they are some sort of electronics, or perhaps kit from Startrek.

My lack of understanding likely means that I can't help you with suggestions, but really, could you be a bit more informative in your question. At least then I will know that I don't know and can direct my attention elsewhere!

Jim
Old 13-04-2016, 04:10   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

The Vulcan is made to be a simple freestanding plotter -- it's like the Zeus but with no Ethernet. The Triton (T41) is an instrument display so has rather different screens.

Have a look at what data is displayed and how and decide for yourself whether it suits your purpose.

I would have absolutely loved to have a Vulcan at my scuttle in place of one of the four Tritons there, but -- here's the big "but" -- it will not apparently share charts over the network (that's done via Ethernet). So it means you would need an additional set of charts for it -- dealbreaker for me.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 06:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yetti- this representative of the"masses" is sadly uninformed: WTF is a "Vulcan 5" and also a "T-41"? I gather that they are some sort of electronics, or perhaps kit from Startrek.

My lack of understanding likely means that I can't help you with suggestions, but really, could you be a bit more informative in your question. At least then I will know that I don't know and can direct my attention elsewhere!

Jim
Yeti try limit answers fellow owners not work this time any%.

Big ape better not insult we more.

Revolting masses feed bourgeois moustachiorilla to own dogs
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 07:29   #5

Boat: Cascade 36

Mr Cate (and other members of the masses), I apologize for not being 100% clear. Hopefully these links will be helpful.

Vulcan 5

Triton Display

Dockhead, it seems that Navico is trying to make the chart issue a lesser issue for folks on this side of the pond. Maybe they would consider doing the same for your side if interest was brought forward.

Vulcan 5 Free Chart Giveaway
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 07:54   #6

Boat: DownEaster 38

I am looking to replace the old, non functioning instruments on my recently purchased DownEaster 38 and am pretty well sold on the Vulcan 7. I looked at the V5 at the Strictly Sail show in Richmond and found it to be too small to be much use with the charts. If you can't use the charts, the T41 may be the better choice, but for me the V7 gives it all.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 10:22   #7

Boat: 38' Beneteau Moorings

i too was checking out the v7.
i am keeping an eye on this thread in the hopes that somebody has actually used it with notable results.
i plan on making my purchase within the next two weeks.
hopefully im not the guinea pig
tikirawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 10:51   #8

Go on! We need someone to take the plunge. West Marine does a deal with the V7 plus wind, water speed and depth gizmos at $1600. Once set up you can expand the network as you like (and can afford). Sounds good to me.
Old 13-04-2016, 11:22   #9

The V5 has sonar that can take the forwardscan transducer if that makes a differance to you.

It can't be shared over ethernet but you can still use the GoFree app on your iPad for screen mirroring.
Rusty007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 11:46   #10

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcd625 View Post
Go on! We need someone to take the plunge. West Marine does a deal with the V7 plus wind, water speed and depth gizmos at $1600. Once set up you can expand the network as you like (and can afford). Sounds good to me.
Another option is the is20 kit from Defender and buy the Vulcan separate. The IS20 comes with three displays, wind, speed and depth transducers for $699. The V7 is $650 or under.... Total of $1350 and you get three free is20 displays.

Matt
Old 13-04-2016, 12:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Another option is the is20 kit from Defender and buy the Vulcan separate. The IS20 comes with three displays, wind, speed and depth transducers for $699. The V7 is $650 or under.... Total of $1350 and you get three free is20 displays.

Matt
That sounds like a Deal! Just need room for all the displays. Thanks.
Old 13-04-2016, 14:32   #12

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcd625 View Post
That sounds like a Deal! Just need room for all the displays. Thanks.
Think that's a deal? Last week during their big warehouse sale, it was $599 for the kit. I bought IS20 set-up and the B&G Touch 7 ($399) for $1,000 total! Crazy good price And, the Touch 7 will act as our autopilot control head saving a few hundred there too!

We're installing the multi data below deck at the nav station. The wind display and and speed/depth display are going in the cockpit along with the Touch 7.

The defender ad is confusing. I was only expecting the two multifunction displays shown, but when it arrived on Monday, there is also a separate wind display... for three total.

Matt
Old 13-04-2016, 15:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Think that's a deal? Last week during their big warehouse sale, it was $599 for the kit. I bought IS20 set-up and the B&G Touch 7 ($399) for $1,000 total! Crazy good price And, the Touch 7 will act as our autopilot control head saving a few hundred there too!

We're installing the multi data below deck at the nav station. The wind display and and speed/depth display are going in the cockpit along with the Touch 7.

The defender ad is confusing. I was only expecting the two multifunction displays shown, but when it arrived on Monday, there is also a separate wind display... for three total.

Matt
Wow! That was a good deal. When is the next sale?