Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2017, 07:05   #1

Boat: Flipper 717, 7.67 meters
Volvo EVC, speed and NMEA2k adapter

Hi! I have a Volvo Penta 4.3GXi-JF engine with EVC generation C and have recently acquired the 4" b/w display and upgraded the system with a trip computer to see fuel consumption.

Next step is to get the speed, depth and temperature fed into the display as well and for that i was looking at something like the Airmar DST800 for NMEA2k and the Volvo Penta NMEA2k adapter.

My question is though, will it work? The official Volvo Penta site seems rather confusing, stating that the EVC-C display can only get speed information from VP's own multi sensor (https://www.volvopentashop.com/EPC/e...F20319%2F20338), while the page for the adapter states its only for reading boat speed information into the EVC System, not depth and temperature (https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en...nmea-2000.aspx).

What should i believe? My local VP dealer is of no help - they are of the old generation, fixing screws and changing oil but know nothing about electronics.

Why can't product sheets by 100% clear of what PGNs they are a capable of sending and retrieving?
burningice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nmea, volvo