Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2013, 14:57   #16

Boat: Catalina C-42
Re: VHF/UHF Ham Radio On Board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rubio View Post
You might consider a rig that doe cross-band where you could sit in the cockpit with an HT and TX on 70cm and have it cross band through the mobile rig to 2 mtrs, or vice-versa. Could be used while off the boat at an anchorage or marina too. On the other hand, a rig with detachable faceplate can be setup to operate at the helm pretty easily.
The Yaesu FT-8800r I have aboard will do just that. As you say, it is very handy in a marina or anchorage when off the boat.
rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 15:37   #17
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
For anyone on a budget, these are great handhelds for the price..

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=260967121218
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 22:02   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
No question, the Kenwood, because it has a full APRS terminal inside. For example, you can send email from it without using any computer. Game over for the rest.

It is also a Digipeater. It is also a crossband repeater. From 70cm to 2m. From 70cm to marine VHF. Yes, the radio police will love this thread I can sit on a terrace nipping my superstrong Panamanian coffee with my HT on 70cm and listen in to the VHf cruisers net.... and talk back with 50W if I want.

It is also a full remote for a Kenwood HF rig, using 2m band for the audio signals and 70cm for Tnc data to control the HF radio. So while sitting on that terrace, I can also join in on SSB nets with 200W from my 70cm HT at low power. This is the Sky Command System.

When you add their HT (D71 IIRC), it only gets better. Even those can act as Digipeater, have internal GPS etc. Insane.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 01:11   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
No question, the Kenwood, because it has a full APRS terminal inside. For example, you can send email from it without using any computer. Game over for the rest.

It is also a Digipeater. It is also a crossband repeater. From 70cm to 2m. From 70cm to marine VHF. Yes, the radio police will love this thread I can sit on a terrace nipping my superstrong Panamanian coffee with my HT on 70cm and listen in to the VHf cruisers net.... and talk back with 50W if I want.

It is also a full remote for a Kenwood HF rig, using 2m band for the audio signals and 70cm for Tnc data to control the HF radio. So while sitting on that terrace, I can also join in on SSB nets with 200W from my 70cm HT at low power. This is the Sky Command System.

When you add their HT (D71 IIRC), it only gets better. Even those can act as Digipeater, have internal GPS etc. Insane.
OK, sold. If I buy a dual band VHF/UHF rig, then that's the one. I'm still toying with the idea of buying an HF/VHF/UHF rig like the Icom 7100, however, which has a mass of advantages (but no dual receivers, no cross-band repeat, etc.). I might have to wait until I get my M802 on the air to see how awkward it is doing ham HF on it before I decide.

I don't think, by the way, that I'll be putting 50 watts through my antenna setup on marine VHF. I'll definitely get caught -- my signal will stand out like a sore thumb. I'll be reducing the power, I think. As it is, I'm mostly transmitting on 1 watt.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 02:39   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

OK, sold. If I buy a dual band VHF/UHF rig, then that's the one. I'm still toying with the idea of buying an HF/VHF/UHF rig like the Icom 7100, however, which has a mass of advantages (but no dual receivers, no cross-band repeat, etc.). I might have to wait until I get my M802 on the air to see how awkward it is doing ham HF on it before I decide.

I don't think, by the way, that I'll be putting 50 watts through my antenna setup on marine VHF. I'll definitely get caught -- my signal will stand out like a sore thumb. I'll be reducing the power, I think. As it is, I'm mostly transmitting on 1 watt.
The trouble with low power for medium distance is that on the other side, local traffic that steps on you will kill your signal. I don't think this is a problem in the EU but it is here in the Caribbean with fishermen or smuglers or pirates (all the same guys sometimes) who chatter all day. The HAM radio has that nice 5W setting that marine VHF radios lack.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 02:56   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The trouble with low power for medium distance is that on the other side, local traffic that steps on you will kill your signal. I don't think this is a problem in the EU but it is here in the Caribbean with fishermen or smuglers or pirates (all the same guys sometimes) who chatter all day. The HAM radio has that nice 5W setting that marine VHF radios lack.
With my antenna setup, I'm getting through all right for ordinary contacts within 10 miles using 1 watt. I guess that makes me marine VHF QRP operator, eh? People around here complain about lack of radio discipline, but I have to say that in a place where there can be literally hundreds of sailboats out on a sunny weekend in a 10 mile radius, the discipline is pretty good -- hardly anyone just chattering, and nearly everyone following decent procedure, so communicating on VHF is a pleasure. Main problem is people calling for radio checks on 16 instead of 67 (or using DSC, like I do, for radio checks).

However, 5 watts would be perfect. It is indeed a shame that marine VHF's don't have a setting for 5 watts.

It's funny, I'm now using the VHF a lot more than I used to. Instead of reaching for the mobile phone. The other day, I spoke with the Yarmouth harbormaster all the way at the other end of the Solent -- from my mooring up the Hamble, so not just 15 miles of water, but also terrain, trees, and buildings between us. And he was on his 5 watt handheld!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, vhf