Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2019, 17:32   #46

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller
Re: VHF Radios? Chart Plotters? I'm starting from scratch!

Ok it the second plug for the cortex in this thread, the problem with long threads!
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 19:46   #47

Boat: 1980 Choate CF40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhunter1097 View Post
Ok it the second plug for the cortex in this thread, the problem with long threads!

My thoughts exactly, for a technology that's not yet proven to my knowledge and isn't even available. Why would I put it a lot of thought into something that might be vaporware.

For what it's worth, I have decided to go with the iPad with navionics for now because I have it. I have a handheld VHF, i plan to build openplotter on either an Android tablet with built-in GPS or raspberry 4.

Now my thoughts are, what sensors are available wirelessly and are reliable wirelessly, what do I need to actually hardwire, etc. How will I get all the things I want, radar, depth, speed, location, navigation, and all the other things that there might be connected into my controlling devices.
Morgali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 20:44   #48

Boat: Cole Pawtucket 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgali View Post
My thoughts exactly, for a technology that's not yet proven to my knowledge and isn't even available. Why would I put it a lot of thought into something that might be vaporware.

For what it's worth, I have decided to go with the iPad with navionics for now because I have it. I have a handheld VHF, i plan to build openplotter on either an Android tablet with built-in GPS or raspberry 4.

Now my thoughts are, what sensors are available wirelessly and are reliable wirelessly, what do I need to actually hardwire, etc. How will I get all the things I want, radar, depth, speed, location, navigation, and all the other things that there might be connected into my controlling devices.
A simple and very cheap addition to this could be the vYacht mutiplexer. Very cheap, easy to install and I have never had any issues with it since the initial firmware update during installation. In order to use your sensor inputs, wireless or not, you'll need a mutiplexer I believe. Even though the instruments may be wireless, you won't be able to pick up that data on your tablet wifi.
ancor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 22:14   #49

Boat: Bavaria 50 Cruiser

Does the vYacht interface to OpenCPN via Ethernet ?

Regards,

-Richard
Old 11-11-2019, 22:22   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
Does the vYacht interface to OpenCPN via Ethernet ?

Regards,

-Richard
The laptop/computer can be connected via Ethernet, or wireless. If your GX2200 is connected, then you can see GPS and AIS info on openCPN and other software if desired. Also, if wind/depth/speed/etc sensors are wired, they also display on openCPN or even on your tablet via wifi. My Apple iPad doesn't support openCPN with an app, but Navionics etc does get data from the multiplexer. On my laptop I have all info with overlay etc. Wasn't difficult to set up, but did take a little time on the openCPN end to get functionality. Due to my own skill level, no doubt!
Old 11-11-2019, 22:28   #51

OH, almost forgot, wireless instruments will need an additional piece to make connection, but I have wired instruments, so haven't delved into this further. I do like the ease of wireless instruments, no mucking around with wires in the mast and around the boat, so the additional cost of un-stepping and re-stepping mast compared to a wifi/nmea dongle is a no brainer.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:27   #52

I'm surprised that on a cruiser-focused forum there is broad based acceptance of wireless, handheld consumer-grade devices that are susceptible to breakage and moisture, and OpenCPN that has cool features but is hardly intuitive. As someone who frequently makes multi-day runs, I have zero confidence the watch-crew could run the boat without waking me up if a change is needed. The OP mentioned a $2k budget, which is optimistic, but not wildly so - here is a basic radar/chartplotter/depth transducer for $2400 (albeit the transducer is transom mount) that comes with Navionics pre-loaded on a 9-inch MFD. I'm sure there is a B&G equivalent that better integrates sail/wind information, but my point is this stuff can be relatively affordable for tried/true bulletproof systems that are made to be operated on open helm stations.

As far as wireless sensors and such, the fewer IP Addresses I have on my boat, the better. Sooner or later, you will have a network conflict - something will update itself and crash something else as a result. Personally, I'm much better at fishing wires than troubleshooting and re-configuring networked gear (and I'm not bad at that).

BTW - best online forum I've found for electronics is TheHullTruth. Mostly fishermen so requires some translation for sail or motoryacht/trawler, but it turns out they will spend a fortune on electronics so have the skinny on what works and why.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:58   #53

Boat: Bristol 27

Since you already have a Standard Horizon GX2200 VHF/AIS/GPS do you also need a chart plotter?

If you will be sailing within say 100 miles of so of your slip couldn't you just print out a couple charts and use your GPS for the first few years?

That's what I've been doing for since 2011.

The PO also left charts onboard for most all of the East Coast and the Bahamas so I've just used those over these last 8 years with his old Vintage 1990's GPS until it failed then a handheld with GPS, and now the SH GX2200
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:01   #54

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
You could get a Garmin 740s, Garmin GMR 18 radar dome used on ebay or another site for cheap and connect via 0183. The best price on the GX2200 is going to be on GPS Store. I just bought one.
This is what I have used for about 10 years and it all works.

Use good 50 ohm antenna wire. A minimum is RG8X, and RG113 is better. This is a one-time expense and you want your radio to work well.

RG58 has a loss of 4.1 db in 50 feet. RG59 has 2.4 db. RG8X has 2.1 db and RG113 has 1.5 db in 50 feet.

Decibel (db) are not a linear measurement, but a logarithmic scale. An increase of 3 db is approximately double. So a 3 db loss means a loss of half your transmit power and your receive strength.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:00   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
This is what I have used for about 10 years and it all works.

Use good 50 ohm antenna wire. A minimum is RG8X, and RG113 is better. This is a one-time expense and you want your radio to work well.

RG58 has a loss of 4.1 db in 50 feet. RG59 has 2.4 db. RG8X has 2.1 db and RG113 has 1.5 db in 50 feet.

Decibel (db) are not a linear measurement, but a logarithmic scale. An increase of 3 db is approximately double. So a 3 db loss means a loss of half your transmit power and your receive strength.
I know how decibels work, more than most, actually. but I do really appreciate the information on the grades of wiring for the VHF. my choice is absolutely clear when you put it in the format you have.

I'm planning to mount my antenna to the stern of the boat, but if this is not an optimal choice feel free to let me know. I would like to have antenna placements in the most ideal locations for things. I also need to keep in mind where I am going to place a radar unit. So, suggestions welcome.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:13   #56

Quote:
I know how decibels work, more than most, actually. but I do really appreciate the information on the grades of wiring for the VHF. my choice is absolutely clear when you put it in the format you have.

I'm planning to mount my antenna to the stern of the boat, but if this is not an optimal choice feel free to let me know. I would like to have antenna placements in the most ideal locations for things. I also need to keep in mind where I am going to place a radar unit. So, suggestions welcome.
Best place for a VHF antenna is the top of the mast for maximum range.......
Old 12-11-2019, 11:31   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Best place for a VHF antenna is the top of the mast for maximum range.......
If only I could get up there! I'm a big guy, I worry about being able to climb up there and mount it.

Also, since I might be up there, where would I mount a radar gimble? Just below the VHF? Should I just put a plate up there with holes to mount various antenna, GPS, VHF, etc?
Old 12-11-2019, 11:44   #58

Quote:
If only I could get up there! I'm a big guy, I worry about being able to climb up there and mount it.

Also, since I might be up there, where would I mount a radar gimble? Just below the VHF? Should I just put a plate up there with holes to mount various antenna, GPS, VHF, etc?
I thought you already had GPS on your VHF radio SH GX2200.

Mine came with the VHF antenna at the mashead, but I have paid a guy $100 plus to go up and rewire the connection after it started having static issues

If you are not going far offshore for a while you could probably just use the stern railing for a few years if sailing locally.

I just know that I have maybe 12 to 15 mile range with my boat's VHF and maybe 5 miles or so with my handheld

I don't have radar so don't know.......but it will be nice having AIS next year
Old 12-11-2019, 12:49   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I thought you already had GPS on your VHF radio SH GX2200.

Mine came with the VHF antenna at the mashead, but I have paid a guy $100 plus to go up and rewire the connection after it started having static issues

If you are not going far offshore for a while you could probably just use the stern railing for a few years if sailing locally.

I just know that I have maybe 12 to 15 mile range with my boat's VHF and maybe 5 miles or so with my handheld

I don't have radar so don't know.......but it will be nice having AIS next year
I haven't yet purchased the radio, and now that I've had more input, I'm rethinking the purchase. I want an AIS transceiver. I want other boats to see me as well. I might get by with what I have, no AIS, etc for the next 6 months or so until I can put together something better, but for the immediate short term I needed some form of communication. That took the form of a handheld VHF radio. I have an OLD VHF radio for the boat that was lying in the bilge when I got the boat. I tested it and it seems to work, so I'll need to get an antenna for it. I thought I'd hold off and just use the handheld for now, and when i get a better system it will likely come with an antenna. Then I'll keep the VHF that came with the boat as an "oh SHTF" spare.

My other immediate concerns are, since my boat does not have any freeboard to speak of, climbing up to the front requires climbing over the cabin from the cockpit. it's not an easy feat when you are chunky and out of shape (both problems I plan to fix very soon), so I need a depth sounder, some better stanchions, lifelines with netting to keep the dogs onboard, a (working) radar to see those things I can't see with my eyes due to fog, darkness, etc.

I have a depth sounder, and a knot meter, neither is connected and I dont know if either work. I have yet to connect the 12v systems in the boat and there is no 120v system yet. another task on my projects list.
Old 12-11-2019, 14:07   #60

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

I replied earlier about a CL posting (that has since sold) but did not mention the 3 used market marine stores in the Puget Sound area that I know of.

Marine Thrift in Port Townsend, Longship Marine in Poulsbo, and SecondWave at the Boatyard in Gig Harbor. You may well find an old but complete VHF antenna for next to nothing at one of them. There are also older but very serviceable electronics for sale from time to time.

Worth browsing around in them for sure
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hf radio, radio, vhf