Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2017, 14:25   #1

Boat: Cal 48 Wainui
VHF noise when battery charging

I get a noise on my Standard Horizon VHF when I have the Xantrex battery charger charging on shore power. What can I do to cure this?
Wainui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 21:52   #2

Re: VHF noise when battery charging

A bad battery sometimes does this. Could also be issue with charger.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:05   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

You can try adding ferrites to the goes in and out wires on the charger.
If it is only a low 60 hz hum, you could ignore it and turn off the charger when you needed to use the VHF with weak stations.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:43   #4

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wainui View Post
I get a noise on my Standard Horizon VHF when I have the Xantrex battery charger charging on shore power. What can I do to cure this?

Your problem is not unheard of but also not that common. So it should be easy to find the cause and fix it.

Tell us a little about how the battery charger is connected to the battery bank. Also, how is the VHF connected to the battery bank. And then tell us where the VHF antenna is located and how far it is from the battery charger.

Battery chargers can cause lots of noise if they are not connected directly to the battery terminals.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:04   #5

You need to determine how the noise is getting into the radio.

This is easy, take the antenna off the radio while the charger is on. If the noise is still there it is coming in through the DC power cable, which is the most likely. In this case you need to filter the DC cable...hopefully good ferrites will work. If ferrites do not fix it...it gets a bit complicated.

Second case, if the noise goes away when removing the antenna the issue needs to be addressed in the charger. If its under warranty, you have claim for RFI. If not, I would sell the charger and get a different brand. You can try ferrites on the charger output but this is very difficult due to frequency of RFI, types of ferrites, etc.

Good Luck
Jack
W4GRJ
BocaIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:44   #6

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BocaIII View Post

This is easy, take the antenna off the radio while the charger is on. If the noise is still there it is coming in through the DC power cable, which is the most likely. In this case you need to filter the DC cable...hopefully good ferrites will work. If ferrites do not fix it...it gets a bit complicated.

Second case, if the noise goes away when removing the antenna the issue needs to be addressed in the charger. If its under warranty, you have claim for RFI. If not, I would sell the charger and get a different brand. You can try ferrites on the charger output but this is very difficult due to frequency of RFI, types of ferrites, etc.

Good Luck
Jack
W4GRJ
This is good advice.

Noise can be either radiated (through the air as RF) or conducted ( through the wiring). You will differentiate by doing what he suggests so as to determine the best cure.

Any other method or quesses anyone might offer are just over-complicating the problem.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:50   #7

Quote:

Good Luck
Jack
W4GRJ
Need to clarify my suggestion, in the first paragraph I am referring to the radio DC power cable.
Jack
W4GRJ
Old 06-05-2017, 09:02   #8

Boat: Camano 31, Troll

Quote:
Check your ground connections for the VHF and for the battery charger. Just a small amount of resistance in the battery charger ground connection can cause there to be a few millivolts difference between the two grounds and that can lead to noise in the VHF. I had the same thing with the VHF connected to the ground block from the refrig and a poorly crimped cable connector from the ground block to the keel -- got noise on VHF every time the refrig. came on.
sailduggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:50   #9

Boat: Boatless

Diode on the 12V supply to the VHF might do the trick.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Diode on the 12V supply to the VHF might do the trick.
Adding a diode is not a solution for noise on dc power.
You may be thinking of adding a capacitor across the pos and
Neg dc line. Just need to know noise frequency to select correct
capacitance value.

Best to follow my original suggestion.

Jack
W4GRJ
Old 06-05-2017, 11:02   #11

Boat: Boatless

There ya go, knew it was one of those :-) We had an issue with a propane solenoid years ago making noise over something when energized. I forget what. Put a diode in there somewhere and solved the prob.

How's that for a non answer!?! :-)

Follow Jack's advice!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:58   #12

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
I get a noise on my Standard Horizon VHF when I have the Xantrex battery charger charging on shore power.
If the battery charger has some fancy DC switching power supply, it could be making noise at radio frequency.

To test if the noise is introduced to the radio via the power line or via the antenna, leave the antenna connected. Run the radio temporarily off a completely isolated 12-Volt battery with nothing else connected to it. For a short test with just the receiver, almost any sort of 12-Volt battery will have sufficient current to power the radio.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 13:20   #13

Quote:

This is easy, take the antenna off the radio while the charger is on. If the noise is still there it is coming in through the Radio DC power cable, which is the most likely. In this case you need to filter the DC cable...hopefully good ferrites will work. If ferrites do not fix it...it gets a bit complicated.

Good Luck
Jack
W4GRJ
Just disconnect the antenna as I suggested above to determine if it is RFI or coming in via dc power.

Unless there is a specific question for me I will end my participation in this thread.
Good Luck
Jack
W4GRJ
Old 06-05-2017, 13:36   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Well, your not likely to need it tied to the dock. You can probably buy a filter to put in the DC supply to the radio. Bite my tongue, Radio Shack may be the easiest place to go.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 21:46   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Well, your not likely to need it tied to the dock. [emoji3] You can probably buy a filter to put in the DC supply to the radio. Bite my tongue, Radio Shack may be the easiest place to go.
Agree that's it doesn't sound like an issue worth messing with. But, some people. ..

After you've id'd if it's rf or dc, if dc then check resistance of AC ground to DC ground. Do this at your shore power plug and to the ground at the radio, with all power off at the breakers. Should be under a couple of ohms.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, noise, vhf