Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2021, 14:03   #16

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: VHF-DSC with or without AIS

Have you considered a handheld with DSC/GPS ? I have a couple older models from Standard Horizon. Don't necessarily want to add a lot of electronics to a 250, it's an outboard with limited battery isn't it ?
https://www.thegpsstore.com/Standard...ack-P5683.aspx
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 14:33   #17

AIS transmit is more important than receive when you are dealing with commercial traffic. You need them to see you because you aren't fast enough in that little boat to get out of their way. They primarily look at their AIS display these days because all ships have AIS. And a little plastic boat like yours is almost invisible on radar or looking out a window 90ft above the water.

Given all the commercial traffic on the St. Lawrence I would spend the extra $200-$300 to get a transponder and keep the current radio - which is a fine VHF. Hardly anyone uses DSC in the US - even the CG. I assume it's the same in Canada. Get a good splitter like the Vesper splitter so you don't need another antenna for the AIS. You can install it yourself.

You'll also be surprised that ships will actually answer you on the radio since they know your name from the AIS display - much better than "small white sailboat on my starboard bow".
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 14:50   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSB333 View Post
I'm satisfied with Shipfinder App on my cell phone. If I can see a ship, I'm able to identify it and call them on VHF if necessary. But I'm only operating within range of cell phone towers - coastal cruising.

there is no way you should be using that for navigation. it's time delayed. it's for people sitting on a couch at home to see if their buddy is out or not.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 14:55   #19

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Now reread CarlF's comments above and take them to heart. The problem is almost never you seeing a freighter, it is them seeing you. Buy a proper Class B transponder. Your current VHF radio will be fine to use for many years, so keep it for now if you are trying to economize and buy the Class B. Then when you have some spare change buy a DSC VHF.

You can use a splitter but it does not offer a significant monetary advantage over a second antenna, and with a second antenna mounted on a rail you have a backup if you lose the use of the masthead antenna. I have two antennas and wouldn't do it otherwise. Your choice.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 19:10   #20

Boat: Catalina 250

In fact, do not forget that this is a 1995 catalina 250 sailboat. Depending on the growth of my passion for sailing, I might upgrade the boat next year. The next boat might come with all that is needed for proper radio communication and AIS assisted navigation.

However, if I dwelve to much in communication and instrumentation, I could always trade with the next boat installation.
francois.lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:35   #21

@marathon1150:
The advice for an AIS transponder favored over AIS receiver is clear. I understand that you are not seen by the boats with transponders on other boats. The problem with transponders is their cost. You have to add about $500 TO $600 CA on top of a reveiver only installation. I would like to be wrong. A question for you, at how much do you estimate your overall installation. Do you think that there is a way I could use the the AIS and GPS information from a VHF-DSC-GPS-AIS radio with NMEA 0138 or NMEA 2000 and wifi broadcast to an android device on which there would be navionics or opencpn?

@Dave Lochner
Remember that I had in my original demand (first post) a setup with a Quark-GPS-AIS-WIFI-NMEA0138 device with a non AIS and GPS radio.

https://www.quark-elec.com/product/q...alk-converter/
According to their diagram the splitter is used for the AIS receiver and is needed. An antenna is needed not only for AIS transponder. Very important is that you never use a splitter designed for an AIS transponder for an AIS receiver from what I read.

@all:
1) I have been reading a lot on the subject all this weekend. In fact, a VHF-ASN radio without and GPS and AIS and a NMEA 0138 entry with an ARDUINO-NMEA-0138- WIFI-GPS-AIS and a simple GPS antenna could theorically do the job. This would be the cheapest way. The AIS antenna has to be added. The question now is: how much time do I want to put on the project. And is it really feasable? This is surely the topic of another thread.

2) I have went to QUARK-ELEC forum for their Quark-GPS-AIS-WIFI-NMEA0138 device with a non AIS radio and glomex RA201 VHS splitter which really provides transmission of all the information to connect by WIFI to an android tablet or a IPAD. There is a video where such an installation was done and it works. I will dwelve about it in another thread as this one has dealt mainly with a VHF-DSC-ASN radio and its costs.

Finally, a distinction that was not clear for me but that is now clear, is that no matter the brand, when you get to VHF-DSC-AIS-GPS-matrix radios the AIS function could be included or not in the radio. This means that thru NMEA 0138 or NMEA 2000, you could feed your VHF radio with some AIS information coming from another device on board. I have not found clear information about such setup nowhere. Maybe the best way would be buying my radio from a local dealer, instead of trying to save a few bucks on amazon. At least the guy at the store could help me to understand and install the rig.

You are still invited to provide comments. They are really appreciated. Maritime radio concepts, heuristics and applications are no easy subject to master.

Thanks so much.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:16   #22

Quote:
Finally, a distinction that was not clear for me but that is now clear, is that no matter the brand, when you get to VHF-DSC-AIS-GPS-matrix radios the AIS function could be included or not in the radio. This means that thru NMEA 0138 or NMEA 2000, you could feed your VHF radio with some AIS information coming from another device on board.
You are correct. Most basic, a VHF is just a radio. DSC is an add on (almost all fixed mount have this now) and the add on requires GPS. But the GPS may be internal or you may need at connect to an external GPS antenna. It is the same thing for AIS. It can be provided internal to the radio or you may be required to use an external transceiver connected by NMEA.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 13:41   #23

While AIS receivers need GPS input they do not necessarily include one - there is no standard. All Class B AIS transceivers must include GPS per FCC requirements. The GPS data from the AIS' GPS can be put on whichever bus is being used or wifi if available, for the use of other devices. It is possible to select an AIS target and send a message to the VHF radio to make a DSC call to that station, if all devices support that. Alternatively just read the ship's name and hail them on channel 16...

Greg
Old 08-03-2021, 18:27   #24

@CarinaPDX
Are there basic radio VHF-DSC models that have WIFI options included? I thought that you had to connect GPS and/or AIS thru the the nmea port.
Old 08-03-2021, 18:47   #25

Not that I know of. Why would you want that? Connect the AIS to the radio via an NMEA bus (either one). If the AIS has its own display you're good; if not, then connect a chartplotter to the bus as well. WiFi is useful for extending the bus to a tablet or computer (the capability is often in modern chartplotters but can be bought as a bus device as well), some like to use a tablet on deck but I think that a waterproof chartplotter in the cockpit is preferred; a connected tablet or computer down below is a convenience though (unless you are a big spender and have a second chartplotter). For the "small spender" a computer or possibly a tablet may serve in lieu of the chartplotter.

Greg
Old 08-03-2021, 22:45   #26

Boat: 98 Catalina 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
A splitter is only needed if you have an AIS transponder. The VHF with AIS receivers do not need a separate antenna.

Given a choice, get the VHF with NMEA 2000 interface not one with only a NMEA 0183. The older Standard Horizon models only had NMEA 0183, this new model has NMEA 2000 and all the features you'll need, DSC, GPS, AIS.

https://www.standardhorizon.com/inde...3&isArchived=0
I have an ancient Panasonic KXG2200 fixed VHF-only that I'm thinking of upgrading. It uses a PL259 connector for the antenna. I can use my current antenna for VHF, GPS, and AIS on the GX2400?
AndyBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 22:59   #27

GPS is completely different. A VHF and AIS can share a single antenna by using an active splitter, or they can simply use separate antennae - the cost is about the same.

Greg
Old 09-03-2021, 04:35   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
GPS is completely different. A VHF and AIS can share a single antenna by using an active splitter, or they can simply use separate antennae - the cost is about the same.

Greg
Or in the case of a VHF with receive-only AIS like GX 2400, it accepts only one VHF antenna - no splitter or second antenna needed.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:18   #29

@CarinaPDX
With VHF-DSC-GPS-AIS radio, is it necessary to have a second AIS for the plotter?
Old 10-03-2021, 12:26   #30

No. Connect the AIS to the plotter with an NMEA bus.

Greg

Tags
ais, dsc, vhf