Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 17:27   #1

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
VHF & HF - DSC – Fees in Oz

Hi all

I’m now looking at purchasing a boat with vhf and hf radios, both with DSC. I would appreciate some advice about on-going fees here in Oz. Note, I’ve got my marine radio license for both hf and vhf.

From what I can ascertain (gov websites not simple to follow ) MMSI provided freely for vhf’s. Correct?

I take it you only get charged for ship license only for HF and with this you can get an MMSI free. Ship license charges appear to be $15 admin and $35 annual ATM – Correct?

Question re HF: if you end up not having a great need for HF, can you choose not to renew, and then just renew when going on an extended trip, perhaps away from coast?

Any advice appreciated. Cheers
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 23:53   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Radio handbook on boat...

My memory, rather more unreliable these days, is that VHF and associated DSC is subject to a class license. I understand that one needs to carry a copy of the legislation and your MROCP Certificate to prove this, but there is no fee.

Marine HF does have a fee attached, and it is not cheap. I'm not planning on carrying a marine HF radio so I don't worry. One was never fitted anyway. Ham radio is possible but is also not cheap and is time and energy consuming

You could be right about the MMSI being free for VHF. Its such a morass I'm just not interested.

I did track down the HF fee, but one needed a miners' license to dig through the websites and find it. That's a part of my life I'm never going to get back...

If you're not going to use the HF radio why not take it off the boat and put it somewhere dry and safe? Worry about it if actual use is a possibility.

I am going to use a short wave receiver and a satellite.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsc, fees, vhf