Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2022, 08:47   #31

Boat: Najad 373
VHF alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Many VHFs only support NMEA0183, not NMEA2000. You don't need brand matching for the DSC distress position display to work, although you generally do need brand matched stuff if you want to be able to select an AIS target on the plotter and tell the VHF to call it (this isn't implemented in as standard a way across brands).

Great insight, many thanks. I have ordered a N2K so its GPS could serve the network in case the one in the plotter fails. Looking fwd to seeing this dialogue, but I’ve been waiting for over 6 months now, Std Horizon (and most brands I think) is out of stock of some electronic component [emoji21]
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 12:16   #32

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: VHF alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
...As to why you won’t let your gps stay on as well if beyond me.

It's simple, my VHF is fed through the plotter which is is old and I've already burned out one screen. I'm trying to save it by keeping it off when I can.

The reason you get an alarm is your gps position stored in the radio is out of date. Simply buy a radio with an integral gps or switch on the gps with the radio. No big deal.

Certainly this is a better solution but I have a lot of things to spend my money on and, like some folks, limited funds. I've prioritized that new VHF down the list. Maybe I should move it up. I don't like this Standard Horizon unit anyhow

With a DSC radio there is no need for a listening watch on 16 anymore.
"With a DSC radio there is no need for a listening watch on 16 anymore."

This seems odd to me. Most distress calls I've heard (and we hear a few around here) don't seem to be using DSC and CH16 is also used for hailing. What you say might be true if most people are using DSC but I don't think they are.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:44   #33

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
"With a DSC radio there is no need for a listening watch on 16 anymore."

This seems odd to me. Most distress calls I've heard (and we hear a few around here) don't seem to be using DSC and CH16 is also used for hailing. What you say might be true if most people are using DSC but I don't think they are.
In a practical sense a watch on 16 is still a good idea. But at least for big ships, with DSC and maybe some other requirements met (can't remember the exact wording of the rules) they're no longer required to monitor 16.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 15:00   #34
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
I'm going to assume that that was not a dig but rather a legitimate comment. I am an untrained VHF operator. But I'm certainly not inexperienced! What exactly should I do with the alarm? It goes off. The manual says I can silence the alarm by pressing clear, so I do. I then go into the menu and I can see that the alarm was a distress relay. At that point, I shrug and go back on deck. What should I do differently?

One of my biggest frustrations with this issue, beyond the embarrassment of it blaring across an anchorage, is that I have no idea what to do with the facts. I am not ignoring a sinking or burning vessel out of indifference, but rather out of ignorance.

No it’s a genuine comment. Without training most people don’t realise the role DSC vhf plays in GMDSS. This leads to the confusion you mention

Today if you receive a DSC distress relay you aren’t basically supposed to do anything because DSC distress relay is not supposed to be used.

In a case where you have to relay a mayday you do so by voice procedure only , ie a mayday relay call.

The goal of a mayday relay is under GMDSS to relay the distress to the nearest land based rescue centre. So if you hear a mayday rust is not being acknowledged that the onus is on you to relay that a mayday relay voice call. Sadly untrained operators are using DSC distress relay and this is making things worse.
Old 04-08-2022, 15:01   #35
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
In a practical sense a watch on 16 is still a good idea. But at least for big ships, with DSC and maybe some other requirements met (can't remember the exact wording of the rules) they're no longer required to monitor 16.

A listening watch on 16 is no longer a requirement as the DSC alert with trigger the radios alarm.
Old 04-08-2022, 19:01   #36

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Well that explains a few things. I've hailed numerous merchants over the last couple of years and had no response. I pick up their name by AIS and so hail them by name. Still no response. In one case on Long Island Sound last year, I repeatedly hailed a tug and tow as I passed a mile in front of them, and then 15 minutes later heard the same story repeated on down the line. So the answer is to write down the MMSI and enter that into the VHF for a DSC call? That's helpful to know. I'll certainly never do that, but at least now I know why I'm wasting my efforts.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 19:41   #37

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Well that explains a few things. I've hailed numerous merchants over the last couple of years and had no response. I pick up their name by AIS and so hail them by name. Still no response. In one case on Long Island Sound last year, I repeatedly hailed a tug and tow as I passed a mile in front of them, and then 15 minutes later heard the same story repeated on down the line. So the answer is to write down the MMSI and enter that into the VHF for a DSC call? That's helpful to know. I'll certainly never do that, but at least now I know why I'm wasting my efforts.
Might be a good idea. In general, for collision avoidance type queries I'd try hailing them on 13. There's a good chance they'll be listening.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 21:21   #38

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Might be a good idea. In general, for collision avoidance type queries I'd try hailing them on 13. There's a good chance they'll be listening.
Same over here; if I have reason to call a ship I start with 13, as it and VTS are the two channels they are required to monitor.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 00:07   #39

Boat: Najad 373

Interesting… in the English Channel 16 is a must and systematically used by coastguards from all neighbouring countries, from mayday relay to invitation to switch to another channel for safety or weather forecast messages, as well as by professional (and private) vessels usually inviting to switch to 06. Permanent vhf watch remains a must, which is on 16 (inner waters use a different one)
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 00:44   #40
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebramar View Post
Interesting… in the English Channel 16 is a must and systematically used by coastguards from all neighbouring countries, from mayday relay to invitation to switch to another channel for safety or weather forecast messages, as well as by professional (and private) vessels usually inviting to switch to 06. Permanent vhf watch remains a must, which is on 16 (inner waters use a different one)

That’s not the case. The coastguard radio no longer maintains a headset watch on vhf16. It now only maintains a speaker watch.

On ships a dedicated monitoring of VHF16 is no longer required and hasn’t been for many years.

The best way these days to contact a ship is a DSC call using their MMSI , they get the alarm ! Loud and clear
Old 05-08-2022, 00:45   #41
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
Same over here; if I have reason to call a ship I start with 13, as it and VTS are the two channels they are required to monitor.

Only in the US. This channel isn’t used like that elsewhere
Old 05-08-2022, 00:57   #42

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebramar View Post
Which part of the channel has a requirement for VHF?
Can't be the English side since most UK boats are not required to have a radio. Not even HM Coastguard are required to maintain a watch on channel 16.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:14   #43
Nearly an old salt

VHF alarm

I never understand the criticism of DSC. The issue of false alerts is a user training and competency issue not a DSC issue. At the end of the day to generate an alert someone has to activate the procedure and press the requisite buttons.

Blaming DSC on this is rather silly.

I find DSC very useful , my MOB device uses it , I use it to call ships and friends. I use it do buddy tracking etc. getting all this relayed up to my chart plotter is a bonus.

I get MMSI via AIS on the plotter. Then just activate the icon to place a DSC call to the relevant ship. Easy peasy

I also find untrained operators have no real understanding of GMDSS and the roles the rescue agencies play

( I’m a RYA VHF instructor )
Old 05-08-2022, 06:35   #44

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Only in the US. This channel isn’t used like that elsewhere
Yes, for the US it's one radio on 13* and the other either on 16 or the VTS frequency, which effectively means in some busy areas 16 is not required and 13 becomes the safe default.

*Some exceptions apply.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 13:47   #45

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
I get MMSI via AIS on the plotter. Then just activate the icon to place a DSC call to the relevant ship. Easy peasy
This functionality would be awesome. Unfortunately, it is not a well prescribed industry standard. My older (2012?) but relatively high-end Furuno chartplotting system (NN3D) will not export to my ICOM DSC radio, as confirmed by Furuno. It may work within a given brand, does not work with industry protocols. It would probably take me 2 to 3 minutes to move a known MMSI from the chart plotter to a DSC call.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, vhf