Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 03:35   #31
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by chala

So let rephrase it
So is it that that each time you change from sailing to motor the AIS will automatically change from S/V to Pc?
Unless your AIS is powered by magic. No.

Dave
Old 06-04-2012, 04:05   #32

Re: "Vessel Name" programming into AIS Transponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Who has the right of way
So by describing a vessel as S/V when motoring, a person is tacking an advantage that he is not entitled to?
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:40   #33

The Coast Guard has published an AIS special notice and encoding guide which states; "names should not include abbreviations (except public vessels, i.e. USCG, USCGC, USACE, USS, LAPD, NYFD, etc.) or vessel type precursors, i.e. F/V, M/V, MV, OSV, P/V, REC, S/V, TUG, etc. Names exceeding 20 characters (the parameter limit) should not be abbreviated, but, may be truncated to 20 characters which include all any unique distinguishing characters"

http://regulatoryseas.wordpress.com/...or-u-s-waters/

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:41   #34
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

So by describing a vessel as S/V when motoring, a person is tacking an advantage that he is not entitled to?
In what way. If you are suggesting that a watch keeper should apply colregs which clearly state are applicable to vessels in sight of each other to a dot on an AiS, then you are misrepresenting such watch keepers. I suspect that most watch keepers will be interested to see S/V it at least informs them as to the general characteristics of the approaching vessel.

Dave
Old 06-04-2012, 05:49   #35

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
The Coast Guard has published an AIS special notice and encoding guide which states; "names should not include abbreviations (except public vessels, i.e. USCG, USCGC, USACE, USS, LAPD, NYFD, etc.) or vessel type precursors, i.e. F/V, M/V, MV, OSV, P/V, REC, S/V, TUG, etc. ...
I better call the US Coast Guard Cutter "CGC VALIANT" and let them know ;-)

It's a guidance after all.... In this paper, they seem to be more concerned about vessels not updating their status and sailing destination.

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:55   #36

Guess you didn't actually read the notice. Public vessels may use abbreviations.

Eric
Old 06-04-2012, 07:23   #37

Boat: Catalina 470

Eric,
1) While I can get to the page you provided the link to, I've been unable to get the USCG link (on that page) to the pdf of the actual report, to work....
But...
THANK YOU!!!

This appears to answer the question.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
The Coast Guard has published an AIS special notice and encoding guide which states; "names should not include abbreviations (except public vessels, i.e. USCG, USCGC, USACE, USS, LAPD, NYFD, etc.) or vessel type precursors, i.e. F/V, M/V, MV, OSV, P/V, REC, S/V, TUG, etc. Names exceeding 20 characters (the parameter limit) should not be abbreviated, but, may be truncated to 20 characters which include all any unique distinguishing characters"

New AIS Encoding Guidance for U.S. Waters « Navigating the Regulatory Seas

Eric
BTW, I looked a LOT at the USCG site (as well doing google searches) for a couple days, before posting this query....and didn't find what I was looking for....
But thanks to Eric, we now all have the official answer!!!

2) And, for clarification, my intent was NOT to "identify" as a sailing vessel to take any advantage in ColRegs at all!!!!
Rather, I had surmized that seeing an S/V on their display may quickly and easily show a watchstander that there was a "small boat" out there somewhere!!! (perhaps one that isn't showing on radar yet, and/or one that may be obsured visually by sea / weather conditions....)

3) So, while I had actually hoped to get many responses telling me what others have programmed into their AIS transponder, we now know that we should just use our vessel's name only....
Thanks again, Eric!!

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:41   #38

Try this link

http://www.danapointboaters.org/docu...Guide_2012.pdf

Eric
Old 07-04-2012, 11:53   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I suspect that most watch keepers will be interested to see S/V it at least informs them as to the general characteristics of the approaching vessel.
A Y or a Pc or a CPY or a P or CY or a C or a R may do exactly the same.
Old 07-04-2012, 17:21   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
In what way. If you are suggesting that a watch keeper should apply colregs which clearly state are applicable to vessels in sight of each other to a dot on an AiS, then you are misrepresenting such watch keepers. I suspect that most watch keepers will be interested to see S/V it at least informs them as to the general characteristics of the approaching vessel.
Dave
In my view any decent watch keeper should be alarmed by the vicinity of a genuine SV and any decent AIS should have the possibility to transmit both, “aSV” (auxiliary Sailing Vessel) and “SV” automatically or manually with the flick of a switch. A dot on a AiS would definitely be more visible than a green light in bad weather at sea level you would hope or why having a dot?
Old 07-04-2012, 17:44   #41
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

In my view any decent watch keeper should be alarmed by the vicinity of a genuine SV and any decent AIS should have the possibility to transmit both, “aSV” (auxiliary Sailing Vessel) and “SV” automatically or manually with the flick of a switch. A dot on a AiS would definitely be more visible than a green light in bad weather at sea level you would hope or why having a dot?
I was making the point that the Colregs alluded to apply to vessels in sight of each other. A watch keeper seeing a S/V would not apply such rules until he actually made visual contact. Hence the AIS name is not making any particular claim at all..

As to sailing vessel etc. I've yet to see a class b AIS so rigged. Equally many big ship systems don't show. Class b static data.

Dave
Old 08-04-2012, 23:04   #42

For what I know, AIS is more about trying to prevent maritime accidents of the 9/11 type than an aid to navigation.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:31   #43
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
For what I know, AIS is more about trying to prevent maritime accidents of the 9/11 type than an aid to navigation.
Thread drift alert!!

The nav side exists as well.

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: Vesper Marine Virtual AIS Beacon, and more
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 13:22   #44
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"For what I know, AIS is more about trying to prevent maritime accidents of the 9/11 type than an aid to navigation. "
Well, that should work about as well as the transponders on the 9/11 aircraft did. Perfectly useless and irrelevant to the problem, which was imply that US airlines refused to follow global standards and simply lock the damned cockpit door.
Yes, it really was and is that simple. Secure the cockpit. It worked for everyone else that year.
On a ship, secure the bridge and engine room. AIS won't change that.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 13:56   #45
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post

AIS predates 2001, technical specs were agreed by the IMO in 1998, and IMO Resolution MSC. 74 (69) in 2000 mandated the carriage requirements.

It was introduced as an aid to collision avoidance primarily. The AtoN features were discussed from the very beginning, but only recently are they gaining acceptance and the costs of the equipment needed to implement them is coming down. AIS marking of physical AtoNs has been on the go for nearly 10 years now, around me many major physical AtoNs carry AIS identification.

Dave

Tags
ais