Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2022, 07:31   #1

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch
Vesper XB8000 - wifi inconsistency; Navionics overlay issues

Brand new xb8000. Latest firmware. WatchMate app is mostly working. When using my iPhone and Navionics, I usually see target overlays. BUT on my iPad, I’m not seeing target overlays (while WatchMate does appear mostly functional). When switching back and forth between WatchMate and Navionics, it frequently says “no Wi-Fi” and reinitiates the target search.

As mentioned, it seem to be working more consistently on my iPhone, so I’m wondering if it could be related to the iPad specifically (ie Wi-Fi is disconnecting before it can identify targets)? Or could it be related to the location of the XB-8000. I mounted it behind my Nav Panel. Could that mess up the Wi-Fi?

Bottom line: it appears to have a weak or inconsistent WIFi signal. And it doesn’t put targets on the iPad with Navionics. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Paul
pma_foyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 07:42   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Vesper XB8000 - wifi inconsistency; Navionics overlay issues

A few suggestions: 1)restart iPad, 2) if iPad is in a case, remove it, 3)call Vesper- they have an INCREDIBLE customer support team.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 18:36   #3

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Are you using the Xb8000’s native Wi-Fi network or have you connected it via your boat’s LAN? I had the same problem - often having to reboot the iDevice (more often my iPad). Once I switched over to using the boat’s LAN & used a fixed IP address for the XB8000, the issues went away. I still often see a “no device recognized” error message on start up, but if I wait a minute or 2, it discovers the Vesper and is stable thereafter.
Old 30-03-2022, 07:59   #4

Boat: Ericson 27

we were having similar issues for quite a while. Went back and forth with Vesper multiple times, to no avail. Eventually, though, the problem went away. My suspicion is that an iOS update (or iPadOS whatever they're calling it these days) fixed an issue on Apple's part. For quite a while we stuck a mini wifi router onboard, and used that as the access point rather than having the XB-8000 act as the access point, but we've been able to move away from that.

Now, we consistently get all our data in iNavX, including AIS and all instrumentation.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 07:51   #5

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Thank you all for the input. I think it will help with the issues I've got with my Vesper 8000
Old 31-03-2022, 09:26   #6

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

HJohnson - what method did you use to connect the XB-8000 to your mini wifi router?

Thank you,
P

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson View Post
we were having similar issues for quite a while. Went back and forth with Vesper multiple times, to no avail. Eventually, though, the problem went away. My suspicion is that an iOS update (or iPadOS whatever they're calling it these days) fixed an issue on Apple's part. For quite a while we stuck a mini wifi router onboard, and used that as the access point rather than having the XB-8000 act as the access point, but we've been able to move away from that.

Now, we consistently get all our data in iNavX, including AIS and all instrumentation.
pma_foyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, navionics, wifi