Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2022, 17:09   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Vesper WatchMate XB-8000 smartAIS Transponder

Is anyone here using one of these Vesper WatchMate XB-8000 smartAIS Transponder.

If so, do you use the WiFi exclusively with phone or laptop or hook to MFD etc?
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 17:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 41
Re: Vesper WatchMate XB-8000 smartAIS Transponder

I use the wifi on my phone and tablet, sometimes laptop
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 18:53   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

You can connect all three platforms, with a different software on each…. At the same time!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 18:54   #4

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Is anyone here using one of these Vesper WatchMate XB-8000 smartAIS Transponder.

If so, do you use the WiFi exclusively with phone or laptop or hook to MFD etc?
I had an XB-8000 on my last boat, and I used both WiFi and had it on the NMEA network for my MFD.

I typically only used it on my phone as an anchor watch. Underway, I used the MFD.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 18:57   #5

I use the WatchMate Vision and connect to IPad INavX app by WiFi. AIS is also connected to RayMarine Axiom 9 and Axiom 7 with Seatalk network. Works very well.
Bcrescenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 03:11   #6

Boat: Catalina 42

Both. Hardwired to plotter/N2K, wifi to Navionics. The Vesper app is good (iThing a bit better than Android but both work). Also outputs N2k messages from other systems onto wifi which is nice.
Off Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 05:53   #7

Thanks all for the info.

This unit sounds perfect and does so much.
Old 13-12-2022, 06:20   #8

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

It's a great unit. I use it and have it integrated with my other electronics over NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183.

That said, it's getting a bit long in the tooth now. There hasn't been any serious development by the vendor in many years, and their support has suffered since they (1) first started working on their current Cortex products, and (2) were bought out by Garmin. There are still some features the old Vesper staff promised but never delivered. We all know how electronics get obsolete so quickly, especially if the vendor has no interest in the product line any more.

There are other, newer options which are still supported by their manufacturers. If buying new, I'd go that way.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 08:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
It's a great unit. I use it and have it integrated with my other electronics over NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183.

That said, it's getting a bit long in the tooth now. There hasn't been any serious development by the vendor in many years, and their support has suffered since they (1) first started working on their current Cortex products, and (2) were bought out by Garmin. There are still some features the old Vesper staff promised but never delivered. We all know how electronics get obsolete so quickly, especially if the vendor has no interest in the product line any more.

There are other, newer options which are still supported by their manufacturers. If buying new, I'd go that way.
Good info.

Thanks.

I'll search for a later model unit.

I'm surprised at all these units can do over an above as a transponder
Old 13-12-2022, 10:47   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Good info.

Thanks.

I'll search for a later model unit.

I'm surprised at all these units can do over an above as a transponder
I agree. Get a modern SOTDMA version without the extras, you can get a wifi link better from Yacht Devices and others like them.

Here is a good list: https://www.milltechmarine.com/custo...comparison.pdf

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 15:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I agree. Get a modern SOTDMA version without the extras, you can get a wifi link better from Yacht Devices and others like them.

Here is a good list: https://www.milltechmarine.com/custo...comparison.pdf
Thanks.

I hadn't heard of these (yacht devices) before but they look/appear to function pretty nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Yacht-Devices...a-569100910978

I have no MFD etc so my laptop (or phone) are my main displays and both usually stay below so I don't destroy them (my boat has an 8' beam so stuff goes all over in rough weather unless totally secured)
Old 13-12-2022, 18:57   #12

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I use the XB8000 NMEA to and from an older MFD and wifi to phone, tablet, and laptop. It’s been solid.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 01:21   #13
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Thanks.

I hadn't heard of these (yacht devices) before but they look/appear to function pretty nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Yacht-Devices...a-569100910978

I have no MFD etc so my laptop (or phone) are my main displays and both usually stay below so I don't destroy them (my boat has an 8' beam so stuff goes all over in rough weather unless totally secured)
The Yacht Devices gateway supports more data than the Vesper 8000. For example, the Vesper does not support rudder angle for Autopilot so on my iPad, the rudder always looks to be in the center position. After switching to the YD gateway, I actually see the rudder moving. This is just an example, there’s more data missing from the Vesper.

YD also sells an Ethernet gateway. When you have a wifi router aboard with available LAN port, then this works even better.

I own all the equipment discussed here and use the Vesper with the YD Ethernet gateway, with the YD wifi gateway as a backup. The Ethernet gateway was brought to market later so I already had the wifi gateway.

If I would buy an AIS transponder today, it would be a SOTDMA 5W unit without any extras like wifi, antenna switch etc., just the basic box. A good example for $649: https://www.milltechmarine.com/b600

For simple, 2nd antenna that you mount on a rail, arch, mizzen mast etc. I would use this: https://www.milltechmarine.com/gam-s...s-antenna.html

And for mounting on top of a spreader or a mast (check needed mounts) there is this broad band monster: https://www.milltechmarine.com/shake...f-antenna.html
(I have the $40 double ferrule option with that for mounting on standard marine threaded mounts.)

For simple whip I actually have a Vesper antenna but I don’t see it anymore, so I linked in the GAM which I suspect is the same.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 04:05   #14

Lots of good info.

Thanks.
Old 14-12-2022, 05:57   #15

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The Yacht Devices gateway supports more data than the Vesper 8000. For example, the Vesper does not support rudder angle for Autopilot...
This is one of the things that the Vesper employee who used to frequent these forums promised back when they were actively developing and maintaining the XB-8000. There was a whole list of data types they were working on adding, including engine data.

Then they started development on their Cortex line. Something changed at Vesper. Forum support disappeared, and XB-8000 development ground to a halt. The final nail in the XB-8000 coffin was when they sold out to Garmin. Just as with DeLorme before them, a fantastic product line was essentially abandoned. I don't know if Vesper experienced the same massive layoffs and shutdowns as DeLorme did, but it's obvious things are now done "The Garmin Way."
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais