Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2014, 16:03   #16

Boat: Lord Nelson 41
Re: Vesper Marine XB-8000 AIS with NMEA WiFi

I stand corrected CuttyHunk. To be clear, the MMSI must be programed into the unit prior to delivery, and cannot be changed thereafter?
Telemark43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 16:36   #17

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

That's a really good price.

I just finished the install of my XB-8000 today, and got to see my boat show up on two of the three AIS web sites I checked, as well as one of the two AIS apps I have on my phone. I guess they use different networks of receiving stations.

Then I tried the MFD and verified the NMEA 2000 data was coming through and showing up on the screen. Next I connected my phone and laptop to the built-in WiFi and was able to control and configure the Vesper unit from either one.

The last piece will be to pick up a NMEA 2000 radio with AIS display, and I'll be able to contact other vessels via DSC right from the radio. Very cool stuff!
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 16:50   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You have to have an MMSI number to order one right? it has to be programmed by them? Any way I can get an MMSI this week, assuming I'm going overseas and the Boat US number isn't good?
Did this 3 weeks ago, it took 5 business days to get my number in the mail from the FCC.

Home | FCC.gov
First you will need a FRN number and login, you get this by entering yourself in the FCC database.
https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do
After you get your FRN you apply with an form 605 available here.
Forms | FCC.gov
It states you may also have to do a 159,160 or 1070y, I did not have to myself, even though I spent a few hours fighting with these forms (going in numeric order) until giving up and doing the 605. It allowed me to pay the fee online and they sent me a receipt.
When filling out the 605 you enter emergency contacts and some basic ships data that will go into the Coast Guard database. Cost from FCC $215. Good for 10 years.
Old 23-11-2014, 17:46   #19

Maybe a silly question, but I already have a 605 radio permit, but looking at the card I see nothing labeled MMSI. I have a FRN, serial and file number. What number would I give if I wanted to buy an AIS device?
yamez4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 18:07   #20

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
Did this 3 weeks ago, it took 5 business days to get my number in the mail from the FCC.
It takes 5 days to get it in the mail, but you can look it up on the website as soon as it's issued (2 days in my case.)
Old 23-11-2014, 20:17   #21

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamez4u View Post
Maybe a silly question, but I already have a 605 radio permit, but looking at the card I see nothing labeled MMSI. I have a FRN, serial and file number. What number would I give if I wanted to buy an AIS device?
There should be a box with a number in it labelled "Station ID", or something similar. That is your MMSI#.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 01:39   #22

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

Might be worth pointing out to anyone from outside the US and not yet so familiar with AIS, that the factory programming requirement applies only to the US. I ordered my Vesper AIS directly and programmed it myself, in Singapore. You do get warnings to be extra careful entering the number, because a wrong entry means returning to the factory for resetting.

I'm not clear how the units are designed to reject any attempt by US owners to program their own unit but probably this is straightforward in the IT business..
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 04:26   #23

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in SG View Post
Might be worth pointing out to anyone from outside the US and not yet so familiar with AIS, that the factory programming requirement applies only to the US. I ordered my Vesper AIS directly and programmed it myself, in Singapore. You do get warnings to be extra careful entering the number, because a wrong entry means returning to the factory for resetting.

I'm not clear how the units are designed to reject any attempt by US owners to program their own unit but probably this is straightforward in the IT business..
I think they are dealer programed at point of sale. Nothing different to how the export units are programmed... just required under US law.

I bought an AMEC Camino 101 from Milltech last year.... posted by them to an O/S address... I obtained a UK MMSI online in minutes...ok it took me an hour or two to find my way around the Ofcom site... Ofcom | How do I get a MMSI number? Please see foot note at end of FAQs
No problem getting one despite not having DSC kit on board.
Old 24-11-2014, 17:19   #24

From Vesper website:

Reprogramming the MMSI

Jeff Robbins
posted this on August 03, 2013 09:12
What if I sell my boat or want to move my Vesper Marine transponder to another one? Do I have to send my unit back to you in New Zealand to reprogram the MMSI?
No, it can be reprogrammed by any Vesper Marine dealer anywhere in the world. All of our distributors can do this too. And it can also be done right on the boat by any marine electronics installer.
If you are located outside the United States, we can even do it remotely with you. Just log a support ticket and we'll get right back to you. The information we need is a confirmation you are outside the US and the model, serial number and currently programmed MMSI number.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Vivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 18:45   #25
Marine Service Provider

Just to clarify MMSI programming for Vesper Marine transponders:

1. The FCC requires that the MMSI may not be programmed by the end user. It is done by the dealer or installer prior to delivery. Each person programming an MMSI must certify to their satisfaction that the MMSI is correct and they are held accountable for its accuracy.

2. There are checks within all of our transponders to validate that the MMSI is proper.

3. USA-bound transponders going to our distributor and dealers are not pre-programmed by us in NZ.

4. Outside the US, you can program it yourself. However, some US dealers may still want to program it for you.

5. Regardless of where it is programmed, the MMSI can only be programmed once without dealer or our assistance (see below).

6. You can change everything but the MMSI yourself anywhere.

7. If you need to change the MMSI and are located outside the US, you can do this yourself by contacting us.

8. If you are within the US then you need to have an authorized dealer or installer change it for you (see #1). If they are local then they can do it on the boat without removing the unit or changing any connections, etc. Otherwise, you will need to send it to them.
jeffrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 06:41   #26

Thanks, Jeff, it's good to have someone from Vesper on here answering questions!

Here's one for you: My plan is to add a new NMEA-2000 VHF radio on my bridge, and I want one which is capable of displaying AIS data. I'm looking at the iCom M506 N2K without built-in AIS.

But for $100-$150 less, I can get a Simrad RS35 which also connects to NMEA 2000. It also supports a $150 wireless remote mic, which was high on my wish list. But it has its own built-in AIS receiver.

The question is, what is the impact of having 2 different AIS receivers (XB-8000 and RS35) both putting data onto the NMEA 2000 bus?
Old 25-11-2014, 07:33   #27

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

If you have the RS35 connected to the bus, you will see your ownship from the Vesper on the AIS display of a chartplotter/computer.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 07:40   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If you have the RS35 connected to the bus, you will see your ownship from the Vesper on the AIS display of a chartplotter/computer.
Ahhh. Another wrinkle. Hadn't thought of that.

Any way to turn off the AIS output to NMEA 2000 on the RS35, but still have it display AIS targets on the radio?

I'd hate to spend $150 more and give up on the idea of a remote mic.
Old 25-11-2014, 08:33   #29

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Another situation where a DSC VHF radio with Class B AIS transceiver, GPS receiver, NMEA 2000/0183, WiFi, USB connectivity, and RAM mic compatibility all rolled into one unit would be ideal. Basically an XB-8000 and a middle-end VHF radio mashed together. I am ready to write a check to the first manufacturer to release such a device. A lot of boaters who’ve been sitting on the fence about AIS probably would be as well. Even at $666 I’m still reluctant to jump into an XB-8000. By the time I implement a quality installation with either an independent antenna or high quality splitter I’m probably in for close to $1K and still have to spend another $200-400 if I want to upgrade my VHF (which I do). A one-box solution for $700 or even $900 and I’m done with no extra wiring, antennae (other than the existing masthead), or outside black boxes to add is very appealing. Manufacturers, are you listening?
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 09:27   #30

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

The price reduction sale is very enticing.

Re getting a SHIP STATION LICENSE from the FCC with MMSI: I just did this a bit ago. I wrote about the process and gave several links to the FCC website that may be useful; see:

FCC License - Moderated Discussion Areas

Re the programming of the MMSI into an AIS transponder in the USA: the prohibition of the FCC that the end user not perform this is, as mentioned, a bit of craziness on the part of the USA.

Re the MMSI you might get from BoatUS or some other agency that has been authorized by the FCC to issue MMSI numbers: I don't think these MMSI numbers are anything out of the ordinary as far as MMSI numbers go, other than they don't end with a trailing zero. I don't think there is any requirement that an MMSI must end in a trailing zero, but for some ships, it is very convenient that the MMSI end in a trailing zero or sometimes two trailing zeros. That is because the MMSI is--from what I can tell--being used for overlapping purposes. The MMSI is also some sort of call directory identifier for some legacy call delivery systems which use fewer digits. Issuing authorities seem to be holding back the MMSI numbers that end in trailing zero or zeroes so they can issue them to ships that need them for the other service of call delivery. I think this manifests in the USA with the FCC passing out the MMSI numbers that end with a zero, and letting the subordinate agencies like BoatUS pass out the MMSI numbers that do not end it a trailing zero. But those numbers that don't end in a trailing zero are still valid MMSI numbers in the AIS system. They just won't work as a ship's directory number in the other, legacy call delivery systems.

Re the FCC not sharing with other authorities the data about the MMSI registrations that are given out by BoatUS and other subordinates: as far as I can tell, that is just more craziness from the FCC. Maybe they don't share the data because they are too busy to perform the task, or maybe because they have not figured out how to perform the task.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, marine, nmea