Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2024, 13:04   #1

Boat: IP 44
Lightbulb Upgrading a Raymarine C-Series Chartplotter

Im thinking about upgrades.

My boat came with a nice, fully functioning, but dated electronics suite. Its currently got (all Raymarine) a C90w and C120w chartplotters, Radar, ST60 speed, wind, and depth, and AIS-B.

The system is using a SeaTalk-ng network cabling, and NMEA 0183 (I think for the AIS).

The question: Can I get a new chartplotter (or any new instrument for that matter) that is capable of Saetalk-ng and hook it up to the system and have everyone talk to each other? Assume staying within the Raymarine ecosystem.

Or does getting a new plotter require getting new everything and rewiring the network cable? I want to avoid a major rewire, and Id like to upgrade over time.

Thanks in advance.
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2024, 16:07   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: Upgrading a Raymarine C-Series Chartplotter

Good question, thinking about doing the same, it is probably in the new plotter installation guide. Although the Raymarine forum has a series of FAQs on this https://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=4769
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2024, 16:07   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCringle View Post
Im thinking about upgrades.

My boat came with a nice, fully functioning, but dated electronics suite. Its currently got (all Raymarine) a C90w and C120w chartplotters, Radar, ST60 speed, wind, and depth, and AIS-B.

The system is using a SeaTalk-ng network cabling, and NMEA 0183 (I think for the AIS).

The question: Can I get a new chartplotter (or any new instrument for that matter) that is capable of Saetalk-ng and hook it up to the system and have everyone talk to each other? Assume staying within the Raymarine ecosystem.

Or does getting a new plotter require getting new everything and rewiring the network cable? I want to avoid a major rewire, and Id like to upgrade over time.

Thanks in advance.
Raymarine have you over a barrel with this stuff. With great care you can reduce the number of adapters you will need, but itís likely to be expensive. Because youíll need at least a few of their adapters if you want to keep the existing instruments.

Switching brands is likely to be a nightmare getting things to talk and, based on the discussions Iíve seen, unlikely to remain working for long. But you want to stay Raymarine so I guess thatís one less concern.

But Iíd ask why you would upgrade? I love my C120 and Iím sad that Iím about to sell it with the boat. Ideally Iíd move it to the new boat but then Iíd have to replace everything on the old boat because people expect instruments.

Why am I so sad about it? Because from everything Iíve read and all the people I meet, there seems to be to nothing but trouble with the new gear. It is expensive and VERY short lived. I was all ready to buy the new stuff for the new boat (which has nothing) but after some consideration Iíve decided the new stuff is not worth the money. So far, from people Iíve met, you are lucky to get four years without problems. Compare this with the twenty plus years of faultless service from the C120.

But sure, it can be done.
Old 21-02-2024, 19:04   #4

Boat: IP 44

I appreciate the tips. Looking through an Axiom install manual, it looks like it would work to drop it in. Im sure theres more to it. Probably need some adaptors of some sort. I wish it was easy and everyone stood by a universal NEMA standard. But thats to simple and no money in it I guess.

If anyone has any recent experience with this sort of thing, or there are some installers out there, Id love to hear your inputs. It surprises me how little info there is out there on stuff like this.

Thanks all.
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 00:43   #5

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCringle View Post
I appreciate the tips. Looking through an Axiom install manual, it looks like it would work to drop it in. Im sure theres more to it. Probably need some adaptors of some sort. I wish it was easy and everyone stood by a universal NEMA standard. But thats to simple and no money in it I guess.

If anyone has any recent experience with this sort of thing, or there are some installers out there, Id love to hear your inputs. It surprises me how little info there is out there on stuff like this.

Thanks all.
Iíve assisted with a few upgrades and I can tell you why thereís so little info.

Itís because every system is different and needs different adapters.

Talk to Raymarine. When their tech support guys (eventually) get back to you theyíll give you a shopping list based on what you have and what you want to change. It will be a good list and will cover about half of the number of components you will actually need, but it will cover the big stuff.
Old 24-02-2024, 16:05   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Hi, just an FYI that I can help you with this exact project. I offer a consulting service for DIY electronics refit/upgrade/integration, etc.

https://seatech.systems/diy-central/mea-subscriptions/

Tags
chartplotter, marine, raymarine