Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2013, 07:55   #1

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
UK Sky TV Soon to be Unavailable in Europe?

Have been researching possible TV systems for a friend of mine who wishes to receive Sky TV on his boat. I emailed a few suppliers asking for prices/options and was surprised to get this response from one of them,

Good morning,

Thank you for your mail.

I am afraid that the satellite TV world is changing at a pace. Most of the current satellites are due for retirement. They are being replaced by a new generation of TV satellite. Whist this change has slowed slightly due to a faulty satellite, and a failed launch vehicle it is ready to get back on track any time now.
The effect of this is that by next year almost no British programming will be available on satellite in the Mediterranean. It is already limited. The reason for this is that the new satellites will be firmly targeted at the UK. Some estimates suggest that BBC1 ITV etc will be difficult to receive 'south of Paris'
You do not say what type of boat you have or where you are based, however it is unlikely you will receive much in the way of popular UK programming on any small boat system.
Much as I would love to sell you a system, you would not thank me for it.

I hope at least some of this makes sense?
Kind regards
Malcolm Threadgould
Eurotek marine ltd.

Does anyone have further thoughts or knowledge about this? I know Sky won't be bothered about us boat people as we would be such a small percentage of their customer base but surely there must be literally thousands of ex-pats in Spain who subscribe to Sky who it appears will loose their service. Surely that can't be right can it?

Its worth noting that I have included the companies details as I must say, I was pleasantly surprised and impressed by their honesty. Here I am enquiring about a product that can easily cost a few thousand pounds and they would rather turn me down than provide something that may not work in a year or so. A rarity to find such integrity these days!
Old 13-08-2013, 08:14   #2

Re: UK Sky TV Soon to be Unavailable in Europe?

There are very few global constellations. They satellites are really expensive, launching is expensive, ~10% of them break or get destroyed at launch, and the batteries are always wearing out.

I worked for a satellite company (Orbcomm) and it was pretty nuts how they had the revenue and costs down to a rather simple formula. "Penny a byte" was the standard with our constellation.

If there's not enough people paying for the capacity of the satellite, the company loses money.

It's much cheaper to have a few geostationary satellites sitting over areas with known clients. At that point the satellite is really just offering services that would be too difficult with physical wires.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 08:19   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: UK Sky TV Soon to be Unavailable in Europe?

Well... I now live in a cave... no boat... but you may have to do what I do which is buy a local package..
40 euro's/mth gets WiFi/TV/Phone... download a coupla movies an evening.. just finished downloading the Lone Ranger and WW Z.. 37 minutes...
All major news channels and Bloomberg... BBC Entertainment.. mainly oldies.. Fox TV.. AXN.. Hollywood etc.. in all 178 channels to keep one amused...
If your based long term in a marina in Spain as many are its worth looking into.. maybe..
East Enders addicts can also get their nightly fix... lmao

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 08:57   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

if you have a good internet connection try filmon.com,all the uk channels free!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 09:04   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: UK Sky TV Soon to be Unavailable in Europe?

Cheers Mate... saved to favourites.. will play later.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 09:54   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Have been researching possible TV systems for a friend of mine who wishes to receive Sky TV on his boat. I emailed a few suppliers asking for prices/options and was surprised to get this response from one of them,

Good morning,

Thank you for your mail.

I am afraid that the satellite TV world is changing at a pace. Most of the current satellites are due for retirement. They are being replaced by a new generation of TV satellite. Whist this change has slowed slightly due to a faulty satellite, and a failed launch vehicle it is ready to get back on track any time now.
The effect of this is that by next year almost no British programming will be available on satellite in the Mediterranean. It is already limited. The reason for this is that the new satellites will be firmly targeted at the UK. Some estimates suggest that BBC1 ITV etc will be difficult to receive 'south of Paris'
You do not say what type of boat you have or where you are based, however it is unlikely you will receive much in the way of popular UK programming on any small boat system.
Much as I would love to sell you a system, you would not thank me for it.

I hope at least some of this makes sense?
Kind regards
Malcolm Threadgould
Eurotek marine ltd.

Does anyone have further thoughts or knowledge about this? I know Sky won't be bothered about us boat people as we would be such a small percentage of their customer base but surely there must be literally thousands of ex-pats in Spain who subscribe to Sky who it appears will loose their service. Surely that can't be right can it?

Its worth noting that I have included the companies details as I must say, I was pleasantly surprised and impressed by their honesty. Here I am enquiring about a product that can easily cost a few thousand pounds and they would rather turn me down than provide something that may not work in a year or so. A rarity to find such integrity these days!
Could it be made unavailable in the UK too...... Please pretty please

Dave
Old 13-08-2013, 09:57   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Cheers Mate... saved to favourites.. will play later.
another good one for freemovies is" let me watch this" or primewire.ag

filmom works great all over the world as does primewire
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, rope, europe