Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2022, 04:58   #1

Boat: Simpson Cloud 12
Turn off simrad display, but keep transducer on

I've got a Simrad NSS evo2 as the main display on my NMEA 2K (N2K) network. I've just built up a signal k server on a raspberry pi, hooked up to an N2K hat. Pretty much, the pi acts as a data logger.

I'd like to leave the logger running 24/7, just so I can keep stats on the local weather and conditions at my boat. Next step is to get a 4G hotspot and make it so I have some basic remote monitoring.

I tried turning the NSS into "Standby" mode, but that seems to pause the transducer. So my depth just pauses it's reporting.

Not the end of the world if I can't keep it on, but the depth would allow me to gauge the tides where my boat is vs the local registered tides.

Is there a way to keep the transducer rolling, with the NSS screen on standby?
workmaster2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 07:53   #2

Re: Turn off simrad display, but keep transducer on

Quote:
Originally Posted by workmaster2n View Post
I've got a Simrad NSS evo2 as the main display on my NMEA 2K (N2K) network. I've just built up a signal k server on a raspberry pi, hooked up to an N2K hat. Pretty much, the pi acts as a data logger.

I'd like to leave the logger running 24/7, just so I can keep stats on the local weather and conditions at my boat. Next step is to get a 4G hotspot and make it so I have some basic remote monitoring.

I tried turning the NSS into "Standby" mode, but that seems to pause the transducer. So my depth just pauses it's reporting.

Not the end of the world if I can't keep it on, but the depth would allow me to gauge the tides where my boat is vs the local registered tides.

Is there a way to keep the transducer rolling, with the NSS screen on standby?
Short answer: No.

Putting the NSS in standby shuts down the power to the internal sounder module that is what makes the transducer work.

You could get a "smart" transducer that is self contained and communicates with the N2K network directly. It would work as long as the N2K network is powered up, or a sounder module external to the NSS.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 16:18   #3

Boat: Simpson Cloud 12

Thanks for that info!
workmaster2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 13:40   #4

Garmin screens in standby still run the sounder. Strange simrad does not. That’s how you power down one helm while using the other to save power.

As posted you can buy nmea 2000 transducers. A p79 would be easy to add inside. And work fine at dock / anchor depths

An external sounder module is still not going to get depth to the n2k bus without a screen on.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
simrad, transducer