Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2020, 09:56   #1
eje

Boat: Cal 33-2
Transferring MMSI

I just bought a boat. The FCC data shows it has a MMSI number and several owners (and boat name changes) back the VHF radio was licensed & canceled.

I am trying to transfer the MMSI to me

I have been on the FCC web site & traded email with a rep. I've have been on the Boat US site. As I understand this. Boat US will transfer the number free for members, but not ones originally issued by the FCC. The FCC charges a $250 fee to transfer the license tied to the MMSI number.

I must be wrong, or do no understand the process. What am I missing here?
eje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 10:14   #2

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Re: Transferring MMSI

I'm sorry I can't help, but I am following because I need to do the same thing. Hope you (we) get a response that helps.
sguerrero1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 13:09   #3

Have you contacted the manufacturer of the radio? They're usually pretty helpful. Some changes require factory intervention.
Sherpa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 13:30   #4

Boat: Liberty 458

With MMSI changes you have several things to consider

1) the MMSI stays with the boat. You need the previous owner to work with you on this as per https://www.boatus.com/MMSI/MMSIAcco...ransferRequest
2) Each piece of hardware on the boat with that MMSI that is transferred to you in 1) stays the same. You should update any warranties or contact info with the manufacturers so you will receive any recall or notifications.

If however, you have bought a foreign vessel which has an MMSI that has a different first 3 digits to where you register the new boat, then it has to have a new MMSI number. You still need to work with the seller to have them deregister the boat and the original MMSI.

Hardware MMSI changes all require the manufacturer or an approved representative (with equipment) to update the MMSI in each piece of hardware.

If you buy new hardware, US citizens are expressly prohibited from entering an MMSI number themselves.

The whole global MMSI approach has not been well thought out. Key use cases were never considered; such as Changing ownership, disposal of MMSI registered devices, device portability and SAR against MMSI with outdated details are huge issues. It relies on us boat owners to have good data hygiene and to ensure all relevant parties have the correct information.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 14:04   #5

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

leftbrainstuff covered this very well. If it is US documented and you can get the PO to help, the transfer process is initiated by PO and won't cost $250.

However, it is still complex and very tedious.
Old 18-11-2020, 16:00   #6

Boat: Contrast 33

Do you know if the existing MMSI is an international number registered by the FCC, or domestic only as issued by BoatUS? The FCC number is the only one that is good for use in foreign ports, and has to be transferred by the FCC. Likewise a domestic BoatUS number can only be transferred by BoatUS.
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 06:10   #7
eje

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
With MMSI changes you have several things to consider

1) the MMSI stays with the boat. You need the previous owner to work with you on this as per https://www.boatus.com/MMSI/MMSIAcco...ransferRequest
2) Each piece of hardware on the boat with that MMSI that is transferred to you in 1) stays the same. You should update any warranties or contact info with the manufacturers so you will receive any recall or notifications.

If however, you have bought a foreign vessel which has an MMSI that has a different first 3 digits to where you register the new boat, then it has to have a new MMSI number. You still need to work with the seller to have them deregister the boat and the original MMSI.

Hardware MMSI changes all require the manufacturer or an approved representative (with equipment) to update the MMSI in each piece of hardware.

If you buy new hardware, US citizens are expressly prohibited from entering an MMSI number themselves.

The whole global MMSI approach has not been well thought out. Key use cases were never considered; such as Changing ownership, disposal of MMSI registered devices, device portability and SAR against MMSI with outdated details are huge issues. It relies on us boat owners to have good data hygiene and to ensure all relevant parties have the correct information.
==========================

Good information, but I'm still not sure how to move forward with this.

It's not a foreign vessel. The old cancelled license says the ship does not make international voyages. It's same radio, I do have the MMSI number. It was licensed and canceled 3-4 owners back and doesn't appear to have been licensed since. It's unlikely I'll be able to work with the former owner, but then he did cancel the license so what would I be asking him to do?
Old 19-11-2020, 08:04   #8

Boat: Tartan 37

At this point it may be easier to get a new MMSI from the FCC and send the radio out to be reprogrammed. ICOM did mine for about 50$
ABJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 10:08   #9

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Since the previous owner cancelled the MMSI, it should be a simple matter to update the new owner information, and re-use the same MMSI that they already had. This would be an update on the FCC site only, since the number is probably already loaded on the device.
I guess the disadvantage is that you may inherit a lot of friends you don't know.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 10:21   #10
eje

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
Since the previous owner cancelled the MMSI, it should be a simple matter to update the new owner information, and re-use the same MMSI that they already had. This would be an update on the FCC site only, since the number is probably already loaded on the device.
I guess the disadvantage is that you may inherit a lot of friends you don't know.
As I understand this - The MMSI lives with the radio forever, it's the radio license that was canceled. The FCC didn't appear to have an option to change the MMSI data without registering the radio, and that's what they wanted $250 for. One of the frustrations is that I understand a 33' private boat doesn't require a radio license.
Old 19-11-2020, 10:37   #11

Boat: Outremer 50S

The USCG publishes a list of MMSI numbers and who issued them (FCC, BoatUS, NTIA, etc.). Check the current list to see who actually issued the MMSI.

If it is BoatUS then you're golden, contact them to update the owner/contact information.

If it is FCC issued then you have to work through the process with them. Depending on how many pieces of equipment you have it may be cheaper to get a new BoatUS (if you don't plan to travel foreign) MMSI issued and send the radio(s) back the manufacturer/service center to have the new MMSI installed.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 12:36   #12
eje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
The USCG publishes a list of MMSI numbers and who issued them (FCC, BoatUS, NTIA, etc.). Check the current list to see who actually issued the MMSI.

If it is BoatUS then you're golden, contact them to update the owner/contact information.

If it is FCC issued then you have to work through the process with them. Depending on how many pieces of equipment you have it may be cheaper to get a new BoatUS (if you don't plan to travel foreign) MMSI issued and send the radio(s) back the manufacturer/service center to have the new MMSI installed.
======================

I've got the list. That's how I know the MMSI # and who the radio was licensed to.