Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2016, 06:56   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Touch screen displays

I'm researching replacement chart plotters. One of the items that occurs to me is the current use of touch screens only for the displays. I question being able to use a touch screen in a wet bouncing boat environment.

Anyone out there using a touchscreen display that can share experience? There are displays with a dial in addition to the touch screen for more money and I'm willing to spend the extra if the touch screen is an issue.
Old 13-06-2016, 07:18   #2

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Re: Touch screen displays

We use touch screen computing devices at work. They are subjected to the elements outdoors, direct sunlight and misting rain occasionally. The screens seem to last about 2-3 years before they fail, usually still displaying correctly, they just become unresponsive. These aren't boat "equipment" but they are supposed to be sealed and water proof and likely the same touchscreen tech that comes in a chart plotter.

So, I would want the back up dial.
Fiveslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 07:31   #3

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

My plotter is a touch screen and I have done over 1000 miles with it now. Rain water is not a problem. Salt water can cause problems. Sunscreen is an issue.

Overall though.. I don't have a problem with it. I just let sunscreen dry before using it. Its mounted in a location where salt spray is not an issue.

I did a video on marine touch screens a while back if you are interested.

travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 07:41   #4

I have a Raymarine e7 which has touch plus buttons and a dial/joystick. When it's wet I find I must disable the touch and other times (choppy seas) I just find it easier to control it with the dial/joystick.

I would only get a touch only MFD if you can get a separate manual controller and have somewhere to put it.

In some cockpit's or nav stations it can be advantageous to have them seperate as the MFD screen can be bigger and placed in a good viewing location and the controller in a more ergonomic location for your hand.
Old 13-06-2016, 07:58   #5

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I have a Raymarine e9 without the dials, so it's fully touch screen. I've only had it a couple of months. I've found that when its wet it's difficult to use. I intend to purchase the extra manual controls to add to it.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 08:09   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm researching replacement chart plotters. One of the items that occurs to me is the current use of touch screens only for the displays. I question being able to use a touch screen in a wet bouncing boat environment.

Anyone out there using a touchscreen display that can share experience? There are displays with a dial in addition to the touch screen for more money and I'm willing to spend the extra if the touch screen is an issue.
There are a few million posts about this on here, and a variety of opinions.

I have a touch screen B&G Zeus T8 at the helm (the very first touch screen Zeus imported into the U.S.; I waited for it for six months), and a B&G Zeus Z8 non-touch at the nav table.

I prefer the non-touch version with all the buttons, but the touchscreen surprisingly does not suck, and is reasonably usable in wet and cold. Water doesn't affect it much. You have to take your gloves off, but you have to do that with buttons also

I don't know about touchscreens from other makers, but that is my experience with Navico touchscreens.

The touch screen is easier to learn for people who don't want to read manuals or learn keystrokes (born Apple users); in my opinion the button version is more powerful.

But you don't have much choice these days -- everyone is going to or has gone to touchscreens.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 08:24   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

We have three touch screens (one Raymarine, two Garmin), I hate them all. The touch portion always seems to be a touch flakey, but worse is the bouncing. Trying to hit one little spot while getting thrown around to me takes a lot more effort than just hitting the third button down without looking.

When it's calm the touch screens are nice, and I think faster, but I find them so frustrating I would rather use buttons almost all the time.

The Raymarine at least has buttons large enough to control even with gloves on, the Garmin has a more intuitive interface. So it's a bit of dislike them all, but they all work.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 20:05   #8

We have a new Raymarine "hybrid touch" plotter, which has both touch-screen and knob/button control. It has about five different ways of doing each thing (like zoom in/out). I prefer using the "analog" controls, but I think that's just because of my age.
Lantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 20:07   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

I'm sure it depends on the motion of the boat. I find a touch screen good most of the time and completely useless when it is rough.
Old 14-06-2016, 03:58   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I now have a FURUNO Touch2 15" in the cockpit console and while this updated touchscreen is very user friendly in motion, I opted to put a remote controller on the console as a way of protecting the screen especially in bad weather.
It is very robust and can easily be replaced if it got some rough treatment

https://youtu.be/1XkDukIAZr8

https://youtu.be/nz_iHxi46-A

http://www.furunousa.com/products/Pr...product=MCU002
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 22:52   #11

Boat: Bavaria 47

I can't even use a touchscreen satnav in a moving car, let alone a boat.
Old 14-06-2016, 22:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
My plotter is a touch screen and I have done over 1000 miles with it now. Rain water is not a problem. Salt water can cause problems. Sunscreen is an issue.

Overall though.. I don't have a problem with it. I just let sunscreen dry before using it. Its mounted in a location where salt spray is not an issue.

I did a video on marine touch screens a while back if you are interested.

Very interesting. I wish I had seen this before I purchased mine.
Old 14-06-2016, 22:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelmercier View Post
I can't even use a touchscreen satnav in a moving car, let alone a boat.
The salt water on mine was a problem. The added problem is when it's bumpy. I am without any doubt getting a control panel to add to mine.
Old 14-06-2016, 23:20   #14

Boat: In Between Boats

Very simple. Get the unit with both or add the manual controls. I have an E127 which is hybrid touch and love it. After 3 years and thousands of sailing miles, I can say that Buying a touch only would be a huge mistake.

It doesn't even take rough weather to make it hard to use the touch screen and salt water and even humidity tend to impact the accuracy of the touch interface.

The manual controls are also more accurate for placing or selecting objects on the screen.
Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screen