Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 10:33   #1

Boat: 1979 Gulfstar 50 Ketch
Too many Amps?

In an attempt to setup my mobile office I have a laptop and two external displays running off my 12V receptacle at the nav station. When I'm plugged in and the battery charger can run, all of these usually run fine. On batteries alone or with weak solar coming in (5 amps) everything will run but my computer is constantly switching back and forth to battery mode.

Do I just have too many items plugged in, would installing heavier gauge wire from the batteries help with that, or is that the first sign of aging batteries? I have two sets of 6V golf cart batteries and this will be their 3rd season.
sunblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:48   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Too many Amps?

Those external displays probably draw a lot of power. Are they 12 volt displays or are you using a 12 volt car plug in adapter? How many watts are the displays?

IS this an apple macbook? They need a special car adapter.. they are not 12 volt devices.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:47   #3

I have 12v Car adapters for all my devices. They are all set to the correct voltage. My Monitors each draw a little over an amp. The laptop is closer to two. The monitors never flicker or have power issues. My laptop just seems to be more picky. I have several 12v car adapters that I am using, each has its own adjustable voltage. the overall amp load doesnt seem to be that bad so I am confused as to why I have this issue.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:58   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

Are your plugs cigarette lighter type/style? Those have a really lousy contact on the positive pin, and the receiver for the pin in the receptacle can build up corrosion and cause voltage loss. When on shore power you're probably running at ~13.8V and can afford some losses. Without charging probably don't have that room. I'd check the contacts. Depending on how bad they are you might be able to clean them up with a pencil eraser.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:02   #5

Yes, they are all round cigarette type contacts but they are also new so not corroded or anything. Maybe there is a better method of hooking everything up, I just have one 12v outlet on the nav station that I run to a 1 to 4 splitter and connect everything from there.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:03   #6

Are these 120 volt or 12 volt monitors? How many watts total are all your devices? My macbook air alone is about 45 watts when charging. If I were to add another 30 watts (two flat panels at 15 watts each), I am at about 6 amps at 12 volts nominal, which is higher than your panel input.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Are these 120 volt or 12 volt monitors? How many watts total are all your devices? My macbook air alone is about 45 watts when charging. If I were to add another 30 watts (two flat panels at 15 watts each), I am at about 6 amps at 12 volts nominal, which is higher than your panel input.
Not sure on the watts, they are DC panels though. The call for 18V, at 1.5 amps that should put them around 30 watts each
Old 01-05-2015, 12:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunblock View Post
Yes, they are all round cigarette type contacts but they are also new so not corroded or anything. Maybe there is a better method of hooking everything up, I just have one 12v outlet on the nav station that I run to a 1 to 4 splitter and connect everything from there.
That could be your problem: voltage loss.

Each cig lighter is not so good. Running four devices off one is asking for trouble.

And, in many cases, the wiring to the cig lighter is sized for ONE device, not four.

Track down the voltage at the devices.

Or install more lighter plugs with hefty sized wiring. And fuses.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:30   #9

Almost all electrical stuff has to put the watts or the amps/volts on a sticker on the device.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:53   #10

Stu, I think you are right. I may install thicker gauge wire to this main outlet and then wire some more in versus using this splitter.

I'm going off memory on my panels, they are mounted to the wall of the nav station now and pulling them off would be a pain.

one thing I have noticed though, the problem was much more apparent when my laptop was nearly dead. I guess it draws way more while trying to charge the battery back up. Now that its 90% full, everything seems back to normal.
Old 01-05-2015, 15:27   #11

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

The best thing you can do for you self is to buy a decent multimeter with a clamp ac/DC ammeter and learn how to use it.

Next look up wire gauge tables and see what you need to run the equipment you want.

Not trying to be harsh..but without some real data...all help is but a guess.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 15:40   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Yes, a digital voltmeter would be the tool to see what the voltage drop is as you turn on the computer and monitors. Some computers and monitors have low-voltage switches in them that turn the item off if the voltage low enough to possibly damage the device.

Other members have posted how to check the wire size needed for a 12VDC line from the boat's power panel to the outlet. Remember that the wire size is determined by the total "round-trip" distance, that is, from the power source to the outlet and then back again via the negative line to the power panel. If you outlet has 6 feet of wire from the power panel then you would look up wire size for 12 feet.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 17:56   #13

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Or use the clamp as I suggested and find out the amp draw to properly wire/fuse the circuit.

The easier way for me...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:33   #14

Lots of good suggestions here.
Another option is to install a dc voltage booster. This will maintain a constant 13.8v out with voltage in down to 9 volts, current rating is 25A peak so it will handle your situation fine. This is used in the ham radio world, I have one installed in my car. Just be careful not to run your batteries down to low.
MFJ Enterprises Inc.

Jack
W4GRJ
BocaIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:35   #15

Thanks for all the help. What I have discovered is that while charging my laptop draws 6.5 amps at 19.5V, so I believe my cheap universal laptop chargers rated at 85W just are not up to the job. I'm going to pick up a beefier charger for this guy and I hope that will solve the issue.

Laptop is an MSI GS70 stealth so it is more of a power hog than than average.