Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2022, 11:40   #121

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: To SSB, or not to SSb...that is the question

A 1kW Scanti would make it more interesting.
team karst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 13:28   #122

Boat: Hunter 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofacey View Post
That is so much ******** I cannot let it go by. The Icom 802 is the most common SSB I’ve seen on cruising boats over the last 10 yrs….it’s 150, and I haven’t seen any reports of crew injured (or backstays burnt off….or ANYTHING SSB related).

I would not characterize 150 watts as being significantly more power than 100 watts either from a standpoint of communications or safety.

500 watts, for example, would easily reach levels considered hazardous by the FCC on at least some frequencies, at distances of, say, 10 feet. The higher HF bands are more hazardous. Modulation schemes like Pactor are more hazardous than SSB voice. I think at least some awareness of the risk and knowledge of the radiation levels is wise at these sorts of power levels.
Old 15-01-2022, 15:33   #123

We had ham radio on our boat. The max it could put out was 100 wats. We seldom used 50 which got our signal from Panama to the US.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 01:10   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynara View Post
We had ham radio on our boat. The max it could put out was 100 wats. We seldom used 50 which got our signal from Panama to the US.
Not surprising!

10log(p1/p2

100/50=3db
150/50=4.8db

Considering that users typical experience fading from 10 to 20db and most dont even have S-meter or one that can measure 1 to 10db accurately, it largely becomes a moot point. In the real world of propagation, you start making a noticeable different when you start bumping things by 10db steps.

Jumping to 500 watts or a Kilowatt would make a difference.

I thing the thing that most sailors forget about is this. Just operating from above salt water using a vertical antenna gives you a 6 to 10 Db advantage because you have no ground loss. You also pick up probably another 6 to 10 db because you are radiating most of RF at angles below 10 degrees which very few hams or even coastal stations can achieve.

In my experience like yours, 25 to 50 watts is enough to obtain 100% reliable communications from any yacht to any part of the world. If you cant achieve this you need to start analysing ground, antenna, tuner and other losses like radiating at the wrong takeoff angle. Its simple science that needs no old wives tales or voodoo for understanding what is happening precisely. Anecdotal evidence bears science out!
plebian99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 02:33   #125

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
What will you do with AM/FM/Shortwave radio (without SSB)? No weather fax, no listening into SSB nets (HAM or marine), no listening to Chris Parker (etc) weather broadcasts....
There is a range of Tecsun receivers with SSB at an affordable price such as the 660, the 680, and the 880.
Review of the 680 here, the 880 is the one to get if you want to receive wfax
https://radiojayallen.com/tecsun-pl-680/
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 10:40   #126

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofacey View Post
They serve different purposes nowadays….
- cruising offshore, I used my IridiumGO daily (or more often in rapidly changing conditions) to get excellent, FAST reliable weather data. Kept me out of trouble a couple times, frequently made for faster more comfortable passages.
- I had a top notch SSB set up with a Pactor modem…..generally much slower, in some parts of the world it was useless for weather; simply no reception, or so slow you could count on it dropping out before the complete data package got thru. And this was waiting till whatever ungodly time of night propagation was optimal.
I have not had that problem, crossing the Pacific, I would get GRIB files at least twice per day, same across the Atlantic. I would often send and receive a couple of emails each day as well. This was with either an M700 or an M802. with a Pactor modem. The 802 was easier to use, but basically everything was done from my laptop connected to them.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 12:43   #127

Boat: Cape Dory MKII 1987 Hull #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
I have not had that problem, crossing the Pacific, I would get GRIB files at least twice per day, same across the Atlantic. I would often send and receive a couple of emails each day as well. This was with either an M700 or an M802. with a Pactor modem. The 802 was easier to use, but basically everything was done from my laptop connected to them.

M
====================================
just re-installed my old 710 rescued from my garage.
what connectors are you using?
Back in late 90's used the old serial/parallel terminals but now is USB
Also, the old decoder for fax I have will need an update, what are you using?
thanks
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 15:33   #128

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
====================================
just re-installed my old 710 rescued from my garage.
what connectors are you using?
Back in late 90's used the old serial/parallel terminals but now is USB
Also, the old decoder for fax I have will need an update, what are you using?
thanks
For a USB pactor, you need a simple USB cable, on the older Pactor, I used a USB to Serial connector.
Connecting the pactor to the radio Is two cables, a data cable and a control cable, the data cable is a standard a RS232 cable, the control cable is round, like a midi cable. Best to put little ferrite cores around the ends of these cables. You can find them on ebay.
Fax should not be a problem, I think the sailmail and winlink download have fax in them.

Good luck!
M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 15:46   #129

Boat: Gemini 3200

The Eton Elite Executive receives SSB.

https://www.amazon.ca/Eton-Executive...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 18:28   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
For a USB pactor, you need a simple USB cable, on the older Pactor, I used a USB to Serial connector.
Connecting the pactor to the radio Is two cables, a data cable and a control cable, the data cable is a standard a RS232 cable, the control cable is round, like a midi cable. Best to put little ferrite cores around the ends of these cables. You can find them on ebay.
Fax should not be a problem, I think the sailmail and winlink download have fax in them.

Good luck!
M
==============
do I need a modem (Pactor)
thought the weather fax signal can be decoded via a decoder between the radio and the laptop with the appropriate software?
Old 22-01-2022, 18:46   #131

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
==============
do I need a modem (Pactor)
thought the weather fax signal can be decoded via a decoder between the radio and the laptop with the appropriate software?
For broadcast wfax charts no "decoder" is needed, nor is a modem. Using software in the laptop and its internal sound processing ability charts appear on the laptop and can be treated like other files. One good free program is JVcomm32 which I've used for years now with good results.

Note however, this technique requires being there to copy the chart as it is broadcast. Use of a modem and Airmail means that you can download the charts at any time after they are uploaded by the met office, plus many many other useful documents such as gribs and text forecasts.

Quite different applications, and (IMO) the modem is a worthwhile investment for the offshore cruiser.

Jim
Old 22-01-2022, 19:01   #132

thank you Jim
I thought so, used my set-up more than 20 years ago!!! and my memory is fussy.
now installed my old radio on my current boat just because I have it, and if I end up doing the Bahamas will like the ability to check Chris Parker and the nets when out of the vhf range.
Also like to play with toys and miss this one.
The laptops or tablets have USB ports, and my question was what cable to use to connect the laptop to the radio (710)?
Old 22-01-2022, 19:12   #133

I think have the answer, reading again ka4wja posts, he refers to using "I would connect an audio cable from the M-710 to your computer"
Old 22-01-2022, 19:34   #134

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I think have the answer, reading again ka4wja posts, he refers to using "I would connect an audio cable from the M-710 to your computer"
Yep, we have used a simple audio cable from the headphone output on the radio to the mike input on the laptop. Only thing to watch out for is that there may be issues with stereo output/input vs mono. Some judicious checking may be needed.

Jim
Old 22-01-2022, 20:18   #135

will do
take care
David

Tags
ssb