Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 06:38   #76

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Thunderbolt: Apple Strikes Again :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
asus transformer prime, bros
How does Airmail work on that?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:50   #77

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The Apple Cinema display is the docking station. You can even research using an Apple iMac as docking station for the laptop. If you keep either around, you could go for the MacBook Air with SSD (no moving parts).
Anything with a real serial port? Do Keyspan drivers work as well for Mac as for Windows?

I have two serial connections (SCS PTC-IIpro and NMEA 0183 on RS-232) and Ethernet (Ubiquiti Bullet, E80 chartplotter, and AIS). Darn - the AIS runs through a serial-to-Ethernet adapter so I have to see about drivers.

Are there 12VDC solutions for everything?

Is there a physical docking station? I have the Lenovo dock screwed down so nothing moves at sea.

I like the big Apple Cinema display if I can run it off 12VDC. Very nice. I have a multihead computer in my lab and would love to have one on the boat. If I can make the Cinema work on the boat I can drop back to a smaller Air and probably come out the same on price. I like the SSD on the Air but I like the fanless design even better. Dust is pervasive on a liveaboard boat. I've replaced the fan on my T60p four times.

I have an appointment this afternoon to sit down with a Genius and see what they can do for me.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:01   #78

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post

I have an appointment this afternoon to sit down with a Genius and see what they can do for me.

Please keep us informed if you will.

John
Old 06-03-2012, 09:11   #79
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Anything with a real serial port? Do Keyspan drivers work as well for Mac as for Windows?

I have two serial connections (SCS PTC-IIpro and NMEA 0183 on RS-232) and Ethernet (Ubiquiti Bullet, E80 chartplotter, and AIS). Darn - the AIS runs through a serial-to-Ethernet adapter so I have to see about drivers.

Is there a physical docking station? I have the Lenovo dock screwed down so nothing moves at sea.

I like the big Apple Cinema display if I can run it off 12VDC. Very nice. I have a multihead computer in my lab and would love to have one on the boat. If I can make the Cinema work on the boat I can drop back to a smaller Air and probably come out the same on price. I like the SSD on the Air but I like the fanless design even better. Dust is pervasive on a liveaboard boat. I've replaced the fan on my T60p four times.

The Keyspan drivers work very well on a Mac when you use the Mac version Remember that Winlink is a Windows program so you are going to want Parallels for that, as well as a Windows 7 virtual machine. You then use the Windows drivers of course. This all works 100%

The Cinema display is easy to bolt down. I still have an old 24" Dell LCD display that keeps working and is similar for mounting. I modified the swivel mechanism so that it can turn 180 degrees to be used as display for watching movies in the salon as well as computer display when sitting at the nav station.

I have given up on direct 12V feeds and installed a small 600W true sine inverter which, in combination with the house bank batteries, creates an on-line UPS. I should have done that from the start and can recommend it. The power loss compared to total power consumption is minimal. I also use the standard AC adapters for the computers (connected to same small inverter) instead of the 12V car adapters. Saving money and making it simpler. You can check out the MacMini which is like a MacBook but without screen and keyboard. There are modifications for 12V powering it (just jumpering the internal AC power supply).

I know the MacBook Pro's have a conformal coating to protect it against salty air etc. but even though I have a MacMini and opened it a couple times, I can't remember if it also has the coating. Mine keeps working (previous, 2008 model) so it's proven to be good aboard.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:05   #80

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
Please keep us informed if you will.
Nice meeting at Apple yesterday. Good intentions but not a lot of help. They referred me to the small business unit and promised someone would call me this week.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 18:10   #81

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I sit for 8 hours a day at work in an office with a computer. I spend 8-10 hours a day at home sleeping, eating, hanging, etc. and have a computer there too. Am I the only one who is wondering why I need a computer in my pocket for the other 6 hours a day? Sure, it does some cool stuff but there is the whole rest of life to check out.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote