Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2006, 11:54   #1

Testing SSB Radio Reception

Hi All,

Looking for a East Coast/Caribbean SSB net to test out my Radio.

Preferably evenings.

What Frequency and Time?

Thanks,

Bill
Loose Ends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 12:10   #2
Eternal Member

Bill,

I assume you mean a marine SSB net, since you didn't indicate ham nets.

Try Cruisheimers Net....mornings @ 0830 EDT on 8146 KHz USB. You'll hear LOTS of boats. Call in to report your position.

For HAM nets, try the Waterway net on 7268 KHz LSB at 0745 EDT for 45 mins, and the MM Net on 14300 almost all day.

Propagation at the moment SUCKS! Be patient.

Bill
WA6CCA
S/V Born FRee
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 12:16   #3

I guess I should have indicated Marine SSB, And yes it appears that propigation is bad, I was begining to think it is my radio.

Bill AA2VF
Old 25-09-2006, 12:40   #4
Eternal Member

Bill,

You're an Extra Class ham! Why not fire up the rig on any marine or ham freq?

Bill T.
Old 25-09-2006, 15:18   #5

Bill T,

I took down my antenna a couple of years ago when we put a pool in the back yard, I just have a dipole cut for 10M in my garage attic that I am using.
I am really a CW guy since 1977,(I think I have only 10 or 20 SSb contacts in my log) but I wanted to get a feel for the marine ssb and some cruisers nets, thinking about putting a ham rig on the boat. Possibly my mobile TS50S
Feeling my way around looking at what people have used for antenna's etc.
Old 25-09-2006, 15:24   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Hi Bill,

I have a TS50S on my boat. It is connected with a SCS 230 coupler to a long wire that I raise on a spare halyard. Works as well as my Icom 710/AT130 with a 28' whip (although MUCH easier to move up and down the bands on the Kenwood).

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 15:28   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Loose Ends-
You don't say what kind of boat, but typically an HF antenna on a boat means either using the rigging, cutting it and installing insulated sections, or similar. It seems that the differences in boats and rigs are great enough that there are no universal answers beyond "pay attention to the counterpoise" and "more is better".<G>

You'll find some folks have done clever things with balloon antennas and kite antennas on the web, as well. That's one way to hoist a long wire without compromising the rig!<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 15:50   #8
Eternal Member

Bill,

You need to check out the many discussions on the SSCA Board on HF communications afloat: http://64.70.221.24/DiscBoard/

Also, check out the marine antenna chart on my website, and the marinized dipole construction details: http://gallery.wdsg.com/Marine-Antennas

What kind of boat do you have?

The SG-230 tuner by SGC, mentioned above, is the best one out there. You couldn't do better than have the TS50S and a SG-230 tuner. You don't need to cut your rigging. You can set up an alternate backstay, made of s/s lifeline, just for the antenna. I've done it on my boat for the past 17 years.

If you just want to go with one or two bands, or want the best antenna you can put up for one or two bands, go with a vertical dipole antenna. No tuner required, no counterpoise either. They work like gangbusters.

From home, just string a random wire up in the trees or in your attic, use a tuner (manual or automatic), and use some 1/4-wave radials for the bands you're interested in.

Bill
Old 25-09-2006, 16:27   #9

Bill,

Great pictures, where did that center insulator come from?
We have a Catalina 27, Take short trips down the coast, 30-40 miles, Thinking about possibly a trip from Barnegat Bay up to Hudson River thought the Hamming would be a good safety measure.

I used to have a Verticle in my back yard, Man that thing worked great, also had a verticle on my truck short stub with loading coils, it also worked great, worked about 90 countries from the truck.

Wondering if the vert with the loading coils would work on the boat?

Is it necessary to modify the TS-50S to transmit on the marine SSb bands, or are the Ham bands all that is necessary?

Do you do much cruising?
Old 25-09-2006, 16:36   #10
Eternal Member

Bill,

A Hustler-like center-loaded whip on the pushpit would do just fine on your C27. You'll still need some sort of counterpoise. The pushpit/lifelines/pulpit complex might be enough, or you could supplement with radials.

A tuner near the rig would be a good idea to trim up a bit. If you adjust the resonators properly, you won't need it most of the time. But it's a good thing to have on hand. Also, a power/swr meter is mandatory, IMHO. One built into the tuner is fine.

Not sure if your mast is high enough to rig a vertical dipole on 20m (it's about 32.5' long, when trimmed). If so, you can't beat that for DX.

I think you could do just fine with the ham bands only. Unless you have a type-accepted marine rig (the TS50S doesn't qualify), it's illegal to transmit on the marine bands anyway. So, start with the Waterway Net on 7268 LSB and the MM net on 14300 USB daily.

Yeah, we cruise a bit. Was in the Caribbean for 11 years. Now based in Chesapeake area. Cruised to Maine a couple of years ago, and spent a few days in Barnegat Bay ducking a hurricane coming up the coast!

Used to do a fair amount of CW myself, and QRP. Worked a DL7 this afternoon on 20 CW. Band conditions are lousy, though.

Bill
Old 25-09-2006, 16:46   #11

Bill,
Looked at some pictures of your boat, looks sweet.
Did you live in the caribbean, for the 11 years, or just keep your boat there?
By the way, where did that center insulator come from?
Old 25-09-2006, 16:47   #12

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Hi Bill and Bill,

Yes, above I meant the SGC coupler (sloppy typing and no proofing!). The TS-50S must be modified for the marine bands (only a fact - not implying anything about legality - you make your own decision).

http://bugeye2.wm.edu/~scott/radio.c...mods.php3.html

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 18:35   #13
Eternal Member

Bill,

Just kept boat there. Made about four 1-2 month visits each year. Been sailing there since 1969.

The center insulator is a Budwig HQ-1. You can find them at Henry Radio, e.g., http://cgi.ebay.com/Center-Insulator...QQcmdZViewItem

but their shipping cost is a bit high, so order a few together. Also, HRO carries them and, probably, AES.

This is the center insulator I highly recommend over all others because it has a very small form factor (no windage to speak of and no weight to flop around in a seaway), and is EXTREMELY strong. Put one on a test bench once in Morocco and it took several thousand pounds to break it. So, if you build the dipole right you can stretch it really taught so it won't flop around.

Bill

(going back to watch the Saints beating up on the Falcons in New Orleans)
Old 26-09-2006, 04:07   #14

Boat: PDQ36 Catamaran - Kokomo
Try the DoDa Net at 1700 on 8152 USB. Very informal, just for checking in and boat-to-boat. St. Jude is the Net Control.
Kokomo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 11:12   #15

Boat: Seafarer, SF34, EZ Liv'n
Send a message via Skype™ to coaster
Don't you have to have a marine ship station licence?
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, reception