Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2021, 10:19   #1

TackTick Wind speed & direction problem

My boat came with a TackTick wireless wind device which worked just fine for the last couple of years then towards the end of last season it stopped working.
The cockpit screen was fully charged and worked fine but it seemed not to be getting a signal from the masthead unit.
At the end of the season I removed the masthead unit and replaced the solar cells in it with the correct TackTick(Now Raymarine part) it still did not talk to the screen even when it had been in the sun for several days. I tried all the correct manual pairing techniques but without success.
I decided to let a marine electronic expert check it out and have just been told he thinks the battery may not be charging despite being new ? I asked if he had checked the output from the battery but he said its not possible because of the size of the wires which terminate in a very small plug.
He wants to try another solar battery but I am reluctant to spend a further 65 plus his time if the output from the new replacement hasn't been checked.
Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.
PLINY AD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 10:35   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: TackTick Wind speed & direction problem

Same thing happened to me; inherited Tacktick, worked fine for a few years, then stopped getting a signal at the reciever. I tried to fix the problem, but couldn't, so contacted Raymarine. They eventually agreed to repair it.

I sent the unit in to them, and they sent back a new and/or reconditioned unit at about 1/3rd the price of new. This was at least five years ago now, so not sure what you can expect today.

Tags
wind