Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2017, 12:37   #16

Re: T-Mobile Personal CellSpot (Cel-Fi Duo Booster)... Crazy?

Batelco Bahamas Sim Card.- @mrsimcard
Old 08-06-2017, 15:47   #17

Boat: Morgan 512 51'

WE 2 have a T Mobile intl. plan, bur found the speeds in the Bahamas to be just too slow. So we got a Batelco card.
BTW: T Mobile does not shut you off after 3 months as long as you pay your bill !
We were in the Islands for 7+ months and did use T Mobile for voice calls and occasional data.
captain mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 16:28   #18

Thought on this:
30 Day Plan Limitless GB 4GLTE FREE incoming Calls / Text + $10 inc. Rates $60.25

How can do unlimited data for that?
Old 08-06-2017, 18:15   #19

Boat: Leopard 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePetePete View Post
I wonder if it was because of a plan issue or something? I've been told by many people that T-Mobile works well (not great). But you have to have the "ONE" plan.

When did you go? What plan did you have?

Yes, I have the One plan. It was this Feb/Mar. I called customer support a couple of times but they were no help. I finally suspended my account until I am back in the states. That reduces the charge to $10/mth per line.
tedowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:38   #20

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain mitch View Post
BTW: T Mobile does not shut you off after 3 months as long as you pay your bill !
We were in the Islands for 7+ months and did use T Mobile for voice calls and occasional data.
True if you have an "international plan" But if you have the "North America" plan, which they say includes Canada and mexico, they do shut you down if you are out of the US for more than 3 months. We and many of our cruising friends were affected by this.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:42   #21

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
FYI T-mobile unlimited data does not permit tethering to cell phone outside of the US. Not sure what you're planning on doing or whether this matters to you.

We got a T-mobile phone to take to the Bahamas and ended up having to get data from BTC to do work on iPad or laptop.
I'll have to spank my laptop, my islandtimepc.com WiFi system, and the Admiral's cell phone.

This is being written courtesy of my landside T-Mobile phone which is a hotspot for data, cellular and texts, on the unlimited plan. This laptop is tethered directly, but my ITPC computer is tethered to the WiFi, which is tethered to the TM, as well.

Where I'm anchored at the moment, throughput isn't fantastic, but it's certainly do-able.

That said, this phone started as a BTC data phone; that should have no bearing on my TM usage (following an unlock); it's an Android that has the capability for hotspot application.

I researched the viability of TM in the Bahamas - all were positive about it. I rather suspect your question is generic: "How do I amplify and repeat cell signals to my best advantage?"

For that I don't have an answer, but may have an interest in one.

FWIW, my usage in general is mixed, with WiFi and Cell hotspot, depending on where I am; where I was last, there was an Xfinity site with a great signal and 5-6/1-2 G up/down, so we used that through our ITPC setup. Here in the Bahamas, WiFi has largely gone to WiMax, and to a lesser (and much more expensive and less effective) extent, OII; open sites, when they're available, are OK but don't usually have the bandwidth of my TM hotspot...

L8R

Skip, currently at anchor (tinyurl.com/flyingpigspotwalla - you may have to click the drop-down menu at the top left and expand from June 6 2017 to see the crossing and current travels)
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mob