Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2016, 12:38   #1

Boat: IP 40
Swivel mount for MFD

Howdy Folks,

We think we've decided to stick with mounting our (soon to be) new MFD at the helm. We'd been planning to mount it around the companionway but due to complexity, routing, and cost have pretty much decided to stick with the helm mount. Since we know from fast experience that we don't spend much time at the helm when offshore, we'd also like it to be usable from the front of the cockpit. So we thinking some type of swivel mount.

We have a typical stainless tubing at the top of the binnacle and have seen the swing arm options. While I know this will technically work, it will also really impact access. We'd rather go with something like the navpod power pod that in made to mount on top and swivel. Unfortunately the powerpod is made for a flat mounting surface.

Anyone here have experience with either a tubular clamp option that would mount on top and allow for horizontal rotation of the MFD? If not, I guess another option would be getting something fabricated to clamp on and provide the flat surface for a powerpod. But my gut says there's something already available that I'm just missing?

Please educate me.

-EB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Helm.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	127432  
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2016, 12:59   #2

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36
Re: Swivel mount for MFD

I am not at my boat right now, so I don't know what brand it is, but I do have a mount that attaches to the pipe and provides a flat base for an older Garmin unit to mount on. It allows me to both tilt and swivel, so I can see it from different places in the cockpit. The only thing I do not like is that I no longer have a clean "grab bar" to hang on to, or use as a hand hold to rapidly get from the forward cockpit to behind the wheel when things get dicey.

I have seen lots of boats where the instruments were mounted inside the boats companion way on a swing out arm. I have never liked that system. When things get really rough and you have to drop in your boards and close up the hatch, you can no longer see your GPS or MFD. At those times I really need them right at the helm and easy to see. Like yesterday for instance, during that violent thunderstorm.
Old 05-07-2016, 13:17   #3

Thanks Paul, if you think about it the next time you're at the boat, a pic would be greatly appreciated.

As with all things, it's a trade-of. I think if we can find a decent space saving option for the swivel at the helm, we'll still have plenty of tubing for a grab handle and our homemade bow thruster control mount will also get replaced.
Old 05-07-2016, 13:24   #4

Boat: Hylas 49

Have you considered a RAM Mount and no pod? Attach the RAM to the mounting bracket and binnacle guard. Yes, wires are exposed, but it is inexpensive and flexible.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 13:25   #5

It's definitely an option but I'd prefer something a little more solid and enclosed/protected.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:29   #6

Boat: Catalina 30

We put ours on a platform we made. We wanted it to be removeable so it is not at risk to grow legs when we are not at the boat. You could put it in the mount backwards and see it from the front. Don't put in the screws and it is easy to flip around if you need to see from the helm.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:40   #7

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

I'm facing the same issue right now. Thanks for your idea to make it swivel to view from the helm or from the companionway direction.

I doubt that the pod gives much if any protection from weather as the display screen itself will be the first to go anyway. I intend to mount my 12" MFD using the U bracket, with the bracket mounted single point on center so it can swivel horizontally, an low enough to be out of the way of our vision when sitting at helm. I'll have to build a platform out from the binnacle to support the bracket. Cables will be hanging somewhat slack to allow the rotation.

Yes, keep the binnacle guard rail easy to grab at all times.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:42   #8

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

At one time I had 1 display and 2 mounts for a mfd. I used a buss bar to make the data connections for the wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:56   #9

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36

Hi Erin,
I found an older photo of my mount. Does not really show the mount, but gives you a general idea. It mounts to the pipe and has a flat base that the Garmin's flat base then mounts to. I can easily detach the GPS for storage but leave its mount in place. Allows for tilt and swivel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cockpit.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	127477  
Old 06-07-2016, 19:35   #10

Boat: Sigma 41

Edson makes SS clamp on mounts which you can buy at Defender for $100 which work great for mounting my Garmin 7608 to my pedistal.
dneve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 19:53   #11

Boat: Riva 48

I had the same dilemma. For me the best option was to remove the compass and mount the pod in its place with all the wiring neatly hidden in the pedestal. You then need to mount a smaller compass elsewhere in the cockpit but that is far easier and you would rarely use it anyway. It makes for a very clean installation.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote