Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2021, 12:40   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Swap RayMarine Autopilot heads

Hey Team

I tried asking Raymarine directly on their online customer portal, but its been a week and havent had a reply, thought I would try my luck here.

We have a ST6002 Autopilot head connected to our C80 via Seatalk1. Its working all fine but the autopilot head has a broken screen fully (buttons and operations work great still just cant see anything displayed on screen since its cracked)

I was wondering if I purchase the new autopilot head (say the P70 for example) will this work as a plug/play device to replace the ST6002? also will this need new calibrations too?

Thanks
MaungaMoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 13:59   #2

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: Swap RayMarine Autopilot heads

sorry do not have an answer to your question but found this on Ebay
in case you missed it and can use it?

Raymarine ST6002 Display Autopilot Control Head E12098
Popular Item 1 watched in last 24 hours
Price:
US $449.99
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 14:14   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The P70 control head is Seatalk NG or NMEA2000, your existing kit is Seatalk 1 is NMEA1830. However, the RM spec says it can talk to Seatalk 1, so may be it can work, I just don't remember a Seatalk connection on the back when I fitted mine.

The new Evo pilots are a real step change and a generation ahead compared to the older systems.

Presumably you have the Raymarine drive, if so price up a replacement Evo system but using the existing steering ram, less something for selling on the old kit.

That leaves the C80 Chart plotter. We sold ours and replaced it with the new 9" Element CP. Alternatively keep the C80 below decks and have a Axiom or Element CP in the cockpit.

Also how old is the existing kit and how long do you want it to continue to work without fault. Time for an upgrade perhaps?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 14:27   #4

The new Evo pilots are a real step change and a generation ahead compared to the older systems.

Also how old is the existing kit and how long do you want it to continue to work without fault. Time for an upgrade perhaps?

Pete[/QUOTE]

===================================
is a tough choice, my older generation Raymarine's motor died recently, and I played with the idea of replacing just the motor and save some money, eventually decided to change the full system with a new Evo and you are right, a different board, so I am happy with my decision since do not have records as to when was the older unit installed.
In his case the decision may be as hard as I mentioned Ebay has a used head for about $500.
tough decision
Old 13-09-2021, 14:42   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Agreed, and easy to spend a couple of thousand dollars of someone else's money. However, a failed autopilot at sea is the pits even whilst coastal sailing. We lost a day in August faffing around buying a new belt and clutches for ours.

This might be worth a read:

https://panbo.com/installing-raymari...-p70-displays/
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 14:47   #6

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
TI just don't remember a Seatalk connection on the back when I fitted mine.
Pretty sure the SeaTalk wires are inside the SeaTalkng cable. You could get a pigtail or split the cable and wire it yourself.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 14:49   #7

I think you can use a p70 but then you need to build a mini stng (nmea2000) backbone and connect the p70 to that. Then you need a stng-to-st converter that you T in the new backbone and hook your existing st network to. It’s really a little bit to complex to do in my opinion. I would look for a used spare 6002 or upgrade
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 16:16   #8

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
Raymarine ST6002 Display Autopilot Control Head E12098
Popular Item 1 watched in last 24 hours
Price:
US $449.99
Thats the thing, $450 USD for a super old and second hand autopilot head vs getting a fancy (colour screen) new autopilot head (new) for the same price ($470 on amazon) I would really love the new shiny one (if I can...)

Quote:
The P70 control head is Seatalk NG or NMEA2000, your existing kit is Seatalk 1 is NMEA1830. However, the RM spec says it can talk to Seatalk 1, so may be it can work, I just don't remember a Seatalk connection on the back when I fitted mine.

Presumably you have the Raymarine drive, if so price up a replacement Evo system but using the existing steering ram, less something for selling on the old kit.

That leaves the C80 Chart plotter. We sold ours and replaced it with the new 9" Element CP. Alternatively keep the C80 below decks and have a Axiom or Element CP in the cockpit.

Pete
We have the SPX-30 Smart Pilot + Raymarine Type 2 autopilot linear drive

The p70 on their manual say its seatalk1 compatible (?), I assume an adapter is a must of course just need to confirm that it would work with the current computer.
Yeah this is all super old stuff like you said, but we are taking baby steps with the upgrades finically

Regards the chart plotter, also something on the list, but still pretty low on the list 

Quote:
Ow thanks, will have a read of this tonight
MaungaMoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 16:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaungaMoana View Post
Thats the thing, $450 USD for a super old and second hand autopilot head vs getting a fancy (colour screen) new autopilot head (new) for the same price ($470 on amazon) I would really love the new shiny one (if I can...)

The p70 on their manual say its seatalk1 compatible (?), I assume an adapter is a must of course just need to confirm that it would work with the current computer.
Yeah this is all super old stuff like you said, but we are taking baby steps with the upgrades finically

Regards the chart plotter, also something on the list, but still pretty low on the list 

=====================================
in any case, envy you!!!!
Bocas del toro!!!
Spent a year on Kuna country,1990, the best time of my life!!!
Take care
David
Old 13-09-2021, 22:58   #10

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m

Quote:
Hey Team

I tried asking Raymarine directly on their online customer portal, but its been a week and havent had a reply, thought I would try my luck here.

We have a ST6002 Autopilot head connected to our C80 via Seatalk1. Its working all fine but the autopilot head has a broken screen fully (buttons and operations work great still just cant see anything displayed on screen since its cracked)

I was wondering if I purchase the new autopilot head (say the P70 for example) will this work as a plug/play device to replace the ST6002? also will this need new calibrations too?

Thanks
You have to find out the model of your course computer because the ST6002 served several generations of them.

-If your course computer is SPX series, you can use the P70s or Rs by wiring it to SeatalkNG on that unit. You will be able to keep your C80 connected to the pilot's Seatalk.

-If your computer is from the Smartpilot series (S1, S2, S3, S1G, S2G, S3G, G150, G400) or earlier, the P70 (so Rs) will serve as a keypad for those units, cutting the cable and using the yellow wire for Seatalk data, or using a Seatalk to SeatalkNG adapter cable. But you will not be able to align the compass from the P70 in this case.

Note: A Seatalk to SeatalkNG adapter cable is not the same as a converter.
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 23:13   #11

Quote:

Ok, I see that your computer is an SPX-30. You have been lucky.

That computer is directly compatible with SeatalkNG and you can connect it to the P70 using a basic SeatalkNG network.
The C80 and the other ST60 instruments will still work with the old Seatalk connection to the pilot.
Old 14-09-2021, 11:08   #12

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Don't have a link but there is someone on CF or maybe EBay that refurbishes Raymarine items from the 6002 era. If it is just the glass on the screen seems that should not be all that hard to replace, assuming water did not get inside or any other issues.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 20:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehani View Post
Ok, I see that your computer is an SPX-30. You have been lucky.

That computer is directly compatible with SeatalkNG and you can connect it to the P70 using a basic SeatalkNG network.
The C80 and the other ST60 instruments will still work with the old Seatalk connection to the pilot.
Today I learned that the SPX-30 can also work with the i70 instrument. Also using any of that autopilot's connections (Sealtalk or SeatalkNG).
Old 16-09-2021, 02:30   #14

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller

Quote:
Hey Team

Thanks

Hang 5
I have what you want you just have to wait until my new evo pilot comes
You can have my perfect control head for a case beer plus postage
Otherwise it will sit in my garage until my kids throw it out
Been on order for 2 weeks so far
Rgds
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 09:05   #15

You should be able to get a converter kit and use a modern head.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/rayma...-kit--11013927

Although i do agree that at this point replacing the entire autopilot may not be that bad of an idea. Yes, it costs more, but you get an all new setup with better programming and if you have the converter, you can keep the old pieces as a backup.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, head, marine, raymarine