Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2016, 15:08   #1

Suitable Stereo unit for yacht

Hi,

New to forums.
Currently have a Colvic 31. Had it for over a year now and enjoyed it. But its time to put some work into it.
I am sure I will be frequenting these forums a lot over the next 4 months looking for tips!

One of the many improvements is to sort out the sound system.
Current thinking is
- Car stereo unit placed inside the lounge hooked up to 2 external speakers and 2 internal speakers.
- I want to be able to choose whether playing outside and/or inside
- Want to be able to control it wirelessly through any android phone from a decent distance.
-Looking for a very decent volume on the external speakers

So if anyone has any advice on external speakers and the head unit?
HibbleJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 15:12   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Suitable Stereo unit for yacht

Some Fusion audio receivers works with NMEA 2000 on your chartplotter to control the unit. I still think there are better sounding systems for the money, but based on the chartplotter control ability, we went with their MS-RA205.

Matt
Old 06-10-2016, 16:34   #3

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

I think a bluetooth amplifier is best. Push music to it from your phone, laptop, or etc.

I've had marine stereo's in my boat, and found their software and menus junky and in the way of playing music.
Old 06-10-2016, 16:42   #4

Boat: valiant 40

I can tell you that you will never regret bose speakers, just the warmth of sound .
Old 06-10-2016, 16:42   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
FUSION MS-RA205

New boat came with a FUSION MS-RA205 stereo.
Simple and works well.
Has Bluetooth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FUSION MS-RA205.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	132447  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 16:46   #6

Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, 4k TV

Car units are just fine. These guys have a wide variety of units. Bluetooth makes a lot of sense.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 17:53   #7

Boat: Catalina 387

I agree with Stu. Just get a car unit with bluetooth. Car speakers inside, and waterproof speakers outside.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 18:04   #8

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

We have used car stereos in the past also. They do work well when installed inside the saloon.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:47   #9

Any reccomendations for the exterior waterproof speakers?
HibbleJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:40   #10

Boat: Baba 40

Had the same issue with interior/exterior volume control (who remembers how to do that once you set up your car stereo?). Started with a Jensen model, eventually took the plunge for a Fusion 650. Gets the usual AM/FM, satellite and has connectors for my phone and/or iPod. Controllable thru their app, which makes it a breeze. Still in denial I wrote the check, of course, but that list is a long one...
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:41   #11

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

I have a car stereo in my Beneteau First 285. I'm not quite as advanced as wanting Bluetooth. The important thing for me was an external mini jack socket in the stereo and the ability to plug my iPod into the system. That works great and gives me endless music. I also have a cockpit speaker which I must connect up to the system sometime soon.
Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:51   #12

Boat: Swedenyacht 42

I looked at the Fusion, when I needed to replace mine last year, the problem was it didn't fit into the standard car radio slot and as it was sited below decks, it didn't need the weather proofing. I installed the Kenwood marinised car stereo see here Marine • KMR-M308BTE Features • Kenwood UK.
It works fine, connects to a smart phone or tablet, through bluetooth or USB, you can set two areas for play back, by selecting front/back speakers or both. I used my existing speakers, but at home and in the car I have Bose and would go with these if I were replacing. The radio was £75 on Amazon, considerably cheaper than the Fusion.
Richard_jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:03   #13

I have had simple systems and have had complicated Bose systems. One boat had bose speakers in the main cabin, the forward cabin and the cockpit. Frankly, I would buy the best portable boom box possible and go with that! Why?
-because you can put it where ever you want it, foredeck while lounging, on the table, in the cockpit and even ashore on the beach.
-You don't have to buy those crappy speakers that are water resistant for the cockpit, but sound terrible .
-You don't have to pull everything apart and drill holes etc to install wires throughout the boat.
-You don't have to carve big holes for speakers in the cockpit, cabin bulkheads etc.
-Speakers mounted in the main salon are often mounted port and starboard, but you really sit in one location, often in front of one side speaker only.
-Where ever you are with the boom box, you can adjust it as it's at arms length. WIth the stereo mounted below, you have to get up go down there and adjust, only to discover you got it too low or too high when you get back to where you were.
-There are a million good reasons to keep it simple, and frankly a good boom box actually sounds better than most installations.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:16   #14

Boat: Catalina 30 TR

Replaced the two outside speakers, surrounds were gone had to fill the existing hole, with MS6520 JBL 6" 2-way Marine Speakers. I like the way JBLs sound in general. They won't rock the marina like some of the ski boat racks, but good for sailing around. I really like Bowers & Wilkins, but I don't think they make Marine speakers.

Head unit I picked up was the JVC KD-X31MBS. Bluetooth, phone integration, etc. No CDs though, but I think they make a model that does. I keep everything on an old iPhone.

I also keep a JBL Flip around for portable use. Great sound out of a little speaker. Taking into account my JBL bias. I think Best Buy has them so you can listen before buying.
CShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:05   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006

I have a car system built in with speakers in the cockpit and in the saloon - I think it is complete waste of time - I bought a small JSL ( ?) speaker ,very like a Bose , it has incredible sound and is blue tooth , which I run of an I Pod ( or Phone ), which stays in the saloon . I can place the speaker anywhere on / in the yacht I choose . It is simple - no fitting and cheap . I have thousands of songs , both classical and current pop music , so sound quality is very important - Rgds Garth
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht