Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2019, 14:33   #16

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Suggestions on how to limit data usage in a simple way?

Thx. I was aware of that Brian. It's not just that, but all the other traffic in the background. Be it from apps be it from system. The NoRoot Firewall I found seems to be a good Android solution. Comodo seems good for Windows. Problem solved. Thx.
Old 11-04-2019, 14:47   #17

Boat: Lancer 27PS

Ah... I knew that. I just posted it in case someone else needed to do the same thing.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 15:43   #18

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

An easily configurable firewall is probably the best solution, and something along the lines of WireShark for determining what is moving around the network will help if you want to get geeky with it.

Speaking of geek, not sure about Android, but most, if not all, PC based OS's have a "hosts" file. This can be used to redirect update requests back to the local host so they never leave the LAN. In a nutshell, the OS will refer to the Hosts file before calling the DNS server to resolve a domain address. This provides another avenue to block persistent data burning update offenders.
https://www.gohacking.com/hosts-file...rect-websites/
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 15:56   #19

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Just another thought more related to minimising data and optimising internet efficiency in general. "Caching proxy servers" have probably fallen out of favour these days due to most having the high speed and virtually unlimited data Internet on tap. A caching proxy server performs two fundemental roles; Firstly it caches previously used data from the internet locally, avoiding the need to continually download the same content and, secondly, they have the ability to block or redirect access to domains by configuration. Definitely a bit geeky, and you need to set up a proxy server device on your internet connection (an RPi would work), but the software itself isn't that difficult to install and configure. Squid is a free and popular proxy server.

Actually, now this thread has reminded me of Squid, I'll be setting this up on my boat!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote