Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2017, 16:02   #1

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez
Standard Horizon Matrix (AIS) GX2100 MMSI

Hi Guys,

I have a boat which already had a MMSI in the Standard Horizon VHF. I got a new MMSI from the local authority in this country, but it looks like the Standard Horizon needs to go back to the service center for a MMSI change.

Unless anyone knows a hack......?

Cheers

AG
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 17:12   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Standard Horizon Matrix (AIS) GX2100 MMSI

I wouldn't advise anyone "hacking" a vital piece of safety gear. I would be happy to send it back to the maker, or an authorized facility, just to ensure my safety isn't compromised.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:08   #3

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
...I have a boat which already had a MMSI in the Standard Horizon VHF. I got a new MMSI from the local authority in this country...
Generally the concept of the maritime mobile service identity (MMSI) is the identity stays with the boat, but in your case, if the boat has been sold and now is owned and operated in a new country and under a different registry, then it would seem appropriate to change the MMSI.

The portion of the MMSI called the MID should "[denote] the administration having jurisdiction over the ship station..." per Recommendation ITU-R M.585-7, "Assignment and use of identities in the maritime mobile service."

Unfortunately, I have not discovered any public information on how to manage the change in MMSI in a GX2100. Typically one must send it back to Standard-Horizon or a local service facility. Some newer models of Standard-Horizon radio can have their MMSI reset by the user with advice from the manufacturer. See

Reset of MMSI for DSC Radio by End User
Reset of MMSI for DSC Radio by End User - CONTINUOUSWAVE
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 15:57   #4

Boat: O'Day 34

This is a little off thread but since it deals with a Sstandard Horizon AIS (2200) I'll try it. I connected my Garmin 742xs to the SH2200 vhf per their instructions.
AIS out + to nema 0183 rec + and AIS out - to the Garmin ground. My Garmin isn't receiving anything from the AIS even though the AIS shows several targets.
Do I need to connect any other wires between the 2 units?
I've looked thru the settings menus and all seems ok but no 0183 sentences are being received.
Can anyone help with this. I'm going to be in Belize for the next 10 days on a boat so I'm not sure how prompt my responses will be
Thanks for your help,in advance.
I'm planning on eventually get a Tx/Rx unit but this is just the start.
Quadrille in JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 17:55   #5

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrille in JB View Post
This is a little off thread but since it deals with a Sstandard Horizon AIS (2200) I'll try it. I connected my Garmin 742xs to the SH2200 vhf per their instructions.
AIS out + to nema 0183 rec + and AIS out - to the Garmin ground. My Garmin isn't receiving anything from the AIS even though the AIS shows several targets.
Do I need to connect any other wires between the 2 units?
I've looked thru the settings menus and all seems ok but no 0183 sentences are being received.
Can anyone help with this. I'm going to be in Belize for the next 10 days on a boat so I'm not sure how prompt my responses will be
Thanks for your help,in advance.
I'm planning on eventually get a Tx/Rx unit but this is just the start.
If I recall correctly, the SH 2200 has differential outputs and the Garmin input is single ended. That means you should connect AIS out (+) to garmin rec +, connect garmin ground to ground, and leave AIS out (-) open.
Old 27-01-2018, 10:07   #6

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrille in JB View Post
...I connected my Garmin 742xs to the SH2200 vhf per their instructions....My Garmin isn't receiving anything from the AIS even though the AIS shows several targets
For help with making NMEA-0183 connections between devices, please see

NMEA-0183 Interface Data Collection
NMEA-0183 Interface Data Collection - CONTINUOUSWAVE

A simple and systematic method of making interconnections is presented there. And both your devices are described in explicit detail.

The Garmin device is described at

http://continuouswave.com/forum/view...=9&t=816#p5307

The Standard-Horizon device is described at

http://continuouswave.com/forum/view...=9&t=816#p5296

The method to connect them is described in the initial article in the long thread. The initial article also links to follow-up articles that describe port settings and data to be sent. My method works consistently across all devices, and requires only the most modest investment of time to understand.

If you have read the instruction manual for the GX2200 radio, then you already know that the AIS data is provided on a separate port from the other radio output data, and the port speed is different than the standard NMEA-0183 speed. In order for two devices to communicate with NMEA-0183 they must have their PORT SPEED set to the same data rate.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais