Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2019, 07:34   #16

Boat: 1966 29' Gulf Island Sloop
Re: Standard Horizon chart plotter

Thank you for this interesting information, all new to me! The guy who checked my alternator took only a few minutes to do it and I am sure he did not do it as thoroughly as you are recommending. I will check into this further.
westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 08:22   #17

Boat: 1966 29' Gulf Island Sloop
Re: Standard Horizon chart plotter

Thank you for your good advice. Long story short, I sent my chart plotter back to Standard Horizon for repair but was advise the mother board was hooped and that the cost of repair would exceed the value of the unit. They advised me to purchase a new chart plotter from a different manufacturer as Standard Horizon has not manufactured chart plotters for the past 5 years. So I purchased the voltage reducer as you suggested from Amazon. That did not work out because it overheated and was a fire risk. So I returned it and purchased a "same but different" unit for $25. A much bulkier unit and simpler, it just puts out a 12 V current from up to a 24 v supply. Non adjustable, just a steady 12 v. That worked like a charm and my chart plotter is back up and running. So, thank you for putting the idea of a voltage reducer out. I had never heard of such a thing before and your suggestion saved me hundreds of dollars.
westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote