Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2020, 09:50   #16

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965
Re: Standalone exterior Marine Cartplotter running Windows?

IMO anything less than 1200 nits is unusable on deck. Preferably around 1600 which is what I have on my fly bridge. I have gone the gambit over the years from 8” monochrome, to VGA color at 1000 nits. Barely acceptable. Now I have a 17” color that is 1600 nits with an actual rheeostat to allow dimming. Running Open CPN. Works fine but more expensive than any similar sized Chartplotter. I also have chartplotters mounted as well. Main navigation is on the chartplotters and the PC is backup and allows me to run Raster charts at the same time as the digital charts on the plotter - often at different scale. Works great for me.

Mirrored screen to the TV in the cabin.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 10:27   #17

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

A chart plotter will have a brighter, sun light readable, display and you will be able to buy proprietary charts at high prices.

I like OpenCPN on a PC because it is full featured and there are plentiful free charts of the world (i.e.CM96) and NOAA charts. It will read most formats. A $50 GPS puck (NEMA 183) with a USB to serial converter will work well. I install the pucks below and out of the weather. The PC will be readable down below and under a Bimini, but not in direct sunlight. Some pirated, Prolific, USB to serial converters will not work with Windows 10. I believe HITA brand or something like that are OK.
Although I have not done so, you can interface AIS with OpenCPN which I recommend if you don't have AIS otherwise.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 14:25   #18

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

If you just need receive AIS then the dAISY2 is a good option. I use it with its own 3 ft metal whip antenna. Connected to both my chartplotters and PC. For full featured send/receive there are many options depending on budget.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 07:30   #19

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
I'm not after replies regarding Linux or proprietary software,
FWIW and not intending to start a flame war, but Windows is “proprietary software”, Linux (generally) is not.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 07:42   #20

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

That is right, not to start a discussion, BUT:

As Windows is still one of the most (if not the most) popular operating system with the most available software packages I put the focus on this.

So far most hard and software I ever used under windows was plug and play and worked right away.

Android is a runner up, but many larger packages are not running under it or are somewhat limited (like OpenCPN and it's Plug-in for example).

On my few attempts using Linux I always ended up with cumbersome command line commands which eventually let me abort the attempt to use it. Besides this there are many software packages which simply do not run of the shelf under Linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
FWIW and not intending to start a flame war, but Windows is “proprietary software”, Linux (generally) is not.
Old 31-12-2020, 11:57   #21

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
That is right, not to start a discussion, BUT:

As Windows is still one of the most (if not the most) popular operating system with the most available software packages I put the focus on this.

So far most hard and software I ever used under windows was plug and play and worked right away.

Android is a runner up, but many larger packages are not running under it or are somewhat limited (like OpenCPN and it's Plug-in for example).

On my few attempts using Linux I always ended up with cumbersome command line commands which eventually let me abort the attempt to use it. Besides this there are many software packages which simply do not run of the shelf under Linux.
This describes one of several reasons I recently opted to replace my aging Garmin chartplotters with a Windows-based system running Coastal Explorer software (w/Open CPN as backup). No more issues with obsolescence or compatibility issues endemic to marine consumer electronics, and combined with a multiplexer (in my case a Vesper 8000 that also provides AIS), I was easily able to wirelessly beam my equally old NMEA 0183 instrument data, along with AIS, to any device or monitor onboard the boat. The only limitation is radar, but that's more a function of using an older analogue unit than it is with the PC-based nav system itself. Besides, there's a good argument for having radar as a standalone system.

As discussed, the challenge and expense comes with finding a ruggedized, waterproof monitor for the cockpit that has sufficient resolution in bright sunlight (at least 1000 nits). I went with Argonaut but there are several options. Although it has decent touchscreen capability, I found a mfg. from the medical services industry which makes waterproof and wireless mouses & keyboards. Came up quick on a Google search, but I can look it up and provide a link if that helps.

Another option, albeit with more limitations, would be a Windows-based tablet. Either ruggedized from the mfg. or with a weatherproof cover. Even if waterproof, however, oftentimes the charging ports are not (at least when charging). There are fixes for this too, however, but by the time you're done perhaps not much savings to be gained money-wise.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 15:03   #22

right tool for the Job, windows is not.

I work in IT and as much as I like Windows for so many reasons, it's not a good fit unless you just happen to have a computer and want it to do other things on the boat.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 15:52   #23

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Windows is the biggest resource hog and arguably the least customisable of all operating systems thanks to its closed source. No self respecting electronics manufacturer wanting a light weight power miser os would touch it with a barge pole.

Windows RT is just a memory now for good reason.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 17:13   #24

Of course they do not want. But mainly because they want to tie us into buying new hardware and charts all the time....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Windows is the biggest resource hog and arguably the least customisable of all operating systems thanks to its closed source. No self respecting electronics manufacturer wanting a light weight power miser os would touch it with a barge pole.

Windows RT is just a memory now for good reason.
Old 31-12-2020, 18:56   #25

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

I agree with you Franziska I also use Windows for various different applications instead of a dedicated device - because actually this often gives a more flexible operating environment that you can update, tweak, or change, at your preference instead of the manufacturer's.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 21:06   #26

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Of course they do not want. But mainly because they want to tie us into buying new hardware and charts all the time....

That's nothing to do with using Windows. Openplotter solves this issue in an instant. And only open source can solve this issue because no propriety manufacturer want's to open up their software or hardware to their competition or to let their customers off the hook from having to purchase upgrades from them. Even if a manufacturer were to use Windows then it would be just as locked down as any current Linux or Android software based system.

All said and done, Windows is a great OS for PC's and it would make a pretty decent MFD (I know, I have a rolled-my-own unit) but from a maker's perspective, imo, there's just no incentive to go down this path.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 21:44   #27

Boat: Liberty 458

The reason most use some form of Linux operating system is twofold.

Firstly is cost. Using Windows incurs a licensing cost to Microsoft. Most Linux distros are free due to their open source licensing. So chartplotter vendors are able to avoid another cost.

Secondly is hardware. Chartplotter hardware is relatively low specced, again often driven by cost. Linux can be compiled and distributed with a very small footprint so reasonable performance can be maintained. Some might argue Windows variants like CE or IoT could be used on low spec hardware. I'll reftain from commenting further on the use of Windows on safety critical systems.

You can of course run OpenCPN on a windows machine. Here are some other options [url]https://windowsreport.com/marine-navigation-software///[url]

[QUOTE=Franziska;3306462]Out of curiosity, is anyone aware of a marine chartplotter for exterior use running windows 10?
Does it exist?

I'm not after replies regarding Linux or proprietary software, or workaround solutions like remote controls or similar, just like to know if anyone knows of a marine chartplotter which can be used outside with windows. Here are some other options QUOTE]
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:26   #28

Yes, but openplotter is nothing a normal user without technical background can buy off the shelf, just load up his or her preferred software, plug in almost any input device and use it right away.

Typical users do not have the expertise to configure a Linux based system.
This is also the precise reason why Linux as an open source system never took over from Windows (apart from the lack of full compatability of lots of software packages).
I am not saying openplotter is bad. It's surely great, but it's sub optimal for pure users due to the lack of of fully waterproof, daylight suitable of the shelf hardware with a pre-installed operating system with plug and play compatability.

Neither is there an interface which is similar to a modern chartplotter with a few hardware dials and buttons. Touchscreens are working, but many of the proprietary chartplotters still use hardware solutions for user input as touchscreens have issues working in wet environments.

Now if there would be such a ready made hardware device for openplotter and it would be truly plug and play without using any command line code involved than I'd have no issue if it's Linux based. If it's reasonably priced I guess there is really a market for it.

Many are sick of the marine hardware manufacturers forcing them to buy new hardware to maintain compatibility. Many would be more than happy if they have the freedom to use any chartsource they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
That's nothing to do with using Windows. Openplotter solves this issue in an instant. And only open source can solve this issue because no propriety manufacturer want's to open up their software or hardware to their competition or to let their customers off the hook from having to purchase upgrades from them. Even if a manufacturer were to use Windows then it would be just as locked down as any current Linux or Android software based system.

All said and done, Windows is a great OS for PC's and it would make a pretty decent MFD (I know, I have a rolled-my-own unit) but from a maker's perspective, imo, there's just no incentive to go down this path.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:09   #29
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I’m pretty sure that openplotter on a raspberry pi is easier than anything that involves Windows. Even my newest Windows 10 still thinks a mouse is connected when I connect a USB adapter for Multiplus, NMEA etc. and installing/updating drivers is a nightmare and that is before the screen simply tells you to sod it while it is going to upgrade itself no matter what.

If you want to use Windows per se then that is fine but just say so instead of making it sound like it’s the logical thing to do because it isn’t. OpenCPN runs much better on a Mac. Still my B&G Vulcan is handier.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:22   #30

Completely different subject, put please don't get me started on Apple with its overpriced hardware and it's user restrictions and data collection habits.

Since I use Windows (for about 30 years by now) I hardly ever needed to do anything with command-line code. Almost all equipment I plugged in worked fine right out of the box.
Everytime I tried Linux I ended up with codes and a command-line. Far from user friendly.
If that would not be the case I would have gladly switched. I do use open source software wherever I can. Even for work.
Still, Linux put me off using it every time I tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I’m pretty sure that openplotter on a raspberry pi is easier than anything that involves Windows. Even my newest Windows 10 still thinks a mouse is connected when I connect a USB adapter for Multiplus, NMEA etc. and installing/updating drivers is a nightmare and that is before the screen simply tells you to sod it while it is going to upgrade itself no matter what.

If you want to use Windows per se then that is fine but just say so instead of making it sound like it’s the logical thing to do because it isn’t. OpenCPN runs much better on a Mac. Still my B&G Vulcan is handier.

Tags
marine, wind