Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2021, 07:09   #1

St60+ wind and windch not working today

So last week, it worked fine.

This week no worky.

Of course the wife removed and glassed over where the old north star chart plotter was below them but swears she never touched them.

We also had messed with the junction box at the bottom of the mast as we removed a ceiling panel to look at a leak issue.

So either of those could have done it.

I inherited quite a mess but I'm starting to sort it out.

I have shield/black, red, yellow coming to the cluster from two ends (I'll circle back to that).

I'm gonna talk left to right from the back.
Coming in is black/red/yellow that comes from the back of the boat (I assume this brings in the power though my electrical panel is just forward of that and would have only required 8 feet of cabling). From there it hits a terminal block that just gets tucked away and splits off to the st40 depth. The other side of the split goes over to a nmea 0183 still connector that then goes into individual terminals connecting the windch. This then uses "proper" seatalk cables to jump to the wind and then to the st60 speed (that doesn't seem to work).

Now here is where it goes back out to the back of the boat. But if I unplug the jumper from the wind to the "broken" sr60 speed and back in I hear it beep (power up?). So again not sure where it why it continues on to the back of the vessel.

I've hooked up the multimeter and tested the vane connections according to the guides I've found.

Getting VCC, getting vintage in range for the others though the speed was showing over 6v and that makes me wonder. This is tested at all points.

Am I missing something, did it finally die and we coincidentally messed around the connections?

I can post pics and a diagram (and hunt down those runs later if need be).

Gilligan
Gilligan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 07:12   #2

Re: St60+ wind and windch not working today

Oh, and I do sometimes get wind direction but it's usually not correct... Like it was ~90 degrees of when I had it showing anything last night.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:00   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Do you have an ITC-5 unit? My wind speed and direction were also not showing but it was due to a faulty unit at the base of my mast. I replaced it with an ITC-5 and then it started working. My ST60 at the helm was never at fault to begin with.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Do you have an ITC-5 unit? My wind speed and direction were also not showing but it was due to a faulty unit at the base of my mast. I replaced it with an ITC-5 and then it started working. My ST60 at the helm was never at fault to begin with.
I don't think I do but that be the reason it all goes to the back.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:05   #5

Boat: Lagoon 41 S2

Did you check the top of the mast to make sure the wind instruments aren't dangling?
Library70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:10   #6

Ok, I think I figured it out.

I had gotten the main wind indicator working but the ch was flashing true and app indicating a remote control was on the buss... I know nothing of a remote control.

So I unhooked the yellow wire from the ch unit (which is the first one in that last chain) and it started working.

So I need to see where those lines go... Something at the head of this chain is causing some confusion (at least for me).

I need to re terminate all of these connections on these terminal blocks because they are sketchy as frig!

Gilligan
Old 09-05-2021, 09:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Library70 View Post
Did you check the top of the mast to make sure the wind instruments aren't dangling?
Oh I got a REAL close look at that last week with my drone and then clipped an antenna and crashed it into the water... Still 12 feet down.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:38   #8

Mine slowly stopped working, first wind speed then direction. Called Raymarine and did voltage checks while on phone at terminal blocks, they advised sending it in...turns out it was corrosion at the masthead connections.
JohnHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 12:51   #9

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

My problem with the ST60 was corrosion at the plug at masthead. It seems that the mast has to be dropped to access the cable/ plug connection. Lousy design by Raymarine !!
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, work